Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions

My name is Racquel im 21 years old. I have been overwieght basically my whole life. I have tried diets and working out with no results. My mom was the one who recommended the Lapband Surgery to me and after looking into i realized this would be the best option for me. I am just beginning my Lap Band Process. I have my initial consultation on March 18,2011. I came to the site seeking support for others who have already been through the process . So Questions ask away???

I have questions of my own

Is there anything I should make sure to ask my doctor in my consultation?

How long after the consultation will the surgery occur?

Did you guys share with your close friends about the surgery?

Hi Racquel,

I am 27, and can associate with the overweight the entire life thing. I had my initial consultation a few months ago and have surgery scheduled for March 4th. Because I am healthy, other than being overweight, the process moved very quickly, so be prepared for that. I found that if the hospital is somewhere you want to have surgery, they will make sure you are over-educated. I have had many of my own questions, but I think once you attend that consultation you will get information overload!

To answer your questions:

I would ask your surgeon how many lap band procedures has he done. A well qualififed surgeon should have done about 250. Ask him what the most common complication is.

After the consultation it depends on a lot of things, the hospital's requirements, your insurance requirements, pre-op weight loss, psychological evaulation, and if you have any other diseases/issues that need to be under control before a procedure is done. They say the average time is 3-6 months for someone of relative healthiness. I attended my first meeting Dec 17th and March 4th is my surgery to give you an idea.

I have chosen to share with most of closest friends about the surgery, but at the age of 21 I cannot say that I would have done that. I guess it depends on the kind of environment you are in (are you at college?) and how well you trust those closest to you. I think back to when I was 21 and going to a small college there is no way I would have wanted to tell my friends because it would have got around...don't be embrassed, own it, but frankly it is no one's business...so choose wisely and go with your gut and you will be fine.

The only other piece of advice I'd like to give you that I never thought of until I hear it, was that my Dr said people in the age range of 18-30 generally don't do as well with the surgery because they are still in "party mode" Being the age of 21, are you a frequent drinker etc? Just be prepared that those types of things will change drastically and if you are ready to committ and follow the rules than you can be just as successful.

Good luck to you and I hope it goes well!!! I haven't gone through the surgery itself YET :) but if I can help any other questions let me know!

My name is Racquel im 21 years old. I have been overwieght basically my whole life. I have tried diets and working out with no results. My mom was the one who recommended the Lapband Surgery to me and after looking into i realized this would be the best option for me. I am just beginning my Lap Band Process. I have my initial consultation on March 18,2011. I came to the site seeking support for others who have already been through the process . So Questions ask away???

I have questions of my own

Is there anything I should make sure to ask my doctor in my consultation?

How long after the consultation will the surgery occur?

Did you guys share with your close friends about the surgery?

Hello!

My name's Rebecca, I'll be 29 tomorrow - yay me!

I can relate as well about having a lifetime of weight issues.

I would suggest that you be very honest with yourself about what exactly you want from the surgery and what your fears are. Then rewrite them into constructive questions and bring them to your consult. Some examples: what is expected of the diet, how much weight does the average patient lose, or like I said - what your concerns are.

I've seen many posts on here where people have said that the diet wasn't explained very well. In the beginning (until you train your mind otherwise) before you get restriction - you have to rely completely on sheer will - especially during pre-op and the post-op liquid phase. To be honest, even after you get restriction you still have to make healthy choices. The band doesn't fix your behavior it just helps you modify them and hopefully as you see more results and get healthier along the way, if and when you do have a not so good day or days, you can get back on track easier with the help of your band.

All of that aside, I'm so happy I got the band - I know I wouldn't have been able to make this far without it.

This is a great place for support! Always come back here when you need help or a good talkin to.

God Bless-

Rebecca

I am in college i go to a small christian school. The good thing is i did my party mode early and i do have a drink occasionally but nothing like it use to be.

Thanks so much for all your insight i really appreciate it. I cant wait for my consultation after finding this forumn and reading everyones stories. I have told my best friend but that it the only person that knows beside my family members. My mom was able to loose her wieght with excerise and she has lost over 100 lbs. I dont want people to judge me thinking that i am taking the easy way out in some way. I plan on using the Band as a tool to help me in my weight loss not as a way for instant wieght loss and i know that it will be a constant struggle but IM READY FOR SUCCESS..

I hope all goes well with your surgery.

Ive seen on here that most people start a liquid diet 14 days prior to surgery.

Was that required by your dr?

Before I had surgery, but knew I was getting it - I only told my Mom and sisters and a couple friends. But as it got closer I decided to share with others. It helped me stay accountable, in the past I went on a million diets and other programs and never told anyone or didn't tell everything - so I decided to be more open. That's what works for me, but we're all different. The doctor had me on a pre-op abd a post-op diet. I went on phase 1 of the adkins diet 3 weeks before surgey and lost 27 pounds. I pushed it to that limit. See, If I didn't lose those 27 pounds I was told they wouldn't do my surgery - that scared me! From the day of the surgery + 4 weeks I was on a liquid to soft food diet which went from Clear liquids to mushy foods as the days progressed. Every dr is different and will perscribe whatever they think is benefitial to their patients. It was tough the fisrt 2 weeks - I constantly thought about food - I mean all day long! But I stuck with the program to a T! It really skyrocketed my results. I joined a gym about 6 weeks post-op. I started at 349lbs, I was 300lbs when I joined the gym and I'm 205 now - and I'm 9months post-op. If you follow what the doctor suggests you will reap the success you want!

I'm excited for you!

Good Luck with your journey!

Rebecca

I'm glad you've told your BF. Hopefully between her/him and your family they will be a strong support. Along with this forum too! I'm sure that your hospital has support groups for face to face meetings as well. Unfortunately, the one at my hospital meets on Monday and it conflicts with a class I'm taking, but I have found much support here, and it's easier to be candid when you aren't face to face! ha

My Mom was the same way, but I also watched her yo-yo her whole life and that is one of my goals of having this tool. She currently has lost and kept it off and I am proud of her, but she and I both know I need more.

I had those same fears, and to be honest I was one of thhose judgemental people.... My friend got gastric bypass a year ago and I 100% thought she was taking "the easy way out" but that's for close minded people and I learned real quick going through this process that there isn't anything easy about it. It is hard work and your success will proves your commitment to that!

I only have a 1 day liquid diet the day before-THANK GOD! I have been reading about these 2 week diets and I have no idea how they do it!! I would think I would have a problem being weak. But I also have thought maybe I should try a few days of liquids to get used to the weeks of liquids post op.

Let us know how your consultation goes!

I am in college i go to a small christian school. The good thing is i did my party mode early and i do have a drink occasionally but nothing like it use to be.

Thanks so much for all your insight i really appreciate it. I cant wait for my consultation after finding this forumn and reading everyones stories. I have told my best friend but that it the only person that knows beside my family members. My mom was able to loose her wieght with excerise and she has lost over 100 lbs. I dont want people to judge me thinking that i am taking the easy way out in some way. I plan on using the Band as a tool to help me in my weight loss not as a way for instant wieght loss and i know that it will be a constant struggle but IM READY FOR SUCCESS..

I hope all goes well with your surgery.

Ive seen on here that most people start a liquid diet 14 days prior to surgery.

Was that required by your dr?

This is so amazing to me! Congrat to you! You are truly and inspiration to me for my future.. I will probably be asking you tons of questions :) Thank you for all your help in these 2 post! I will defiantly keep you updated on everything :D

Thanks again

Racquel

I will defiantly keep you guys updated...

Thanks for all the support thus far!!

Its really helping me to solidify my decision

I'm glad you've told your BF. Hopefully between her/him and your family they will be a strong support. Along with this forum too! I'm sure that your hospital has support groups for face to face meetings as well. Unfortunately, the one at my hospital meets on Monday and it conflicts with a class I'm taking, but I have found much support here, and it's easier to be candid when you aren't face to face! ha

My Mom was the same way, but I also watched her yo-yo her whole life and that is one of my goals of having this tool. She currently has lost and kept it off and I am proud of her, but she and I both know I need more.

I had those same fears, and to be honest I was one of thhose judgemental people.... My friend got gastric bypass a year ago and I 100% thought she was taking "the easy way out" but that's for close minded people and I learned real quick going through this process that there isn't anything easy about it. It is hard work and your success will proves your commitment to that!

I only have a 1 day liquid diet the day before-THANK GOD! I have been reading about these 2 week diets and I have no idea how they do it!! I would think I would have a problem being weak. But I also have thought maybe I should try a few days of liquids to get used to the weeks of liquids post op.

Let us know how your consultation goes!

Way to go!!! I'm so proud for you!!

I will defiantly keep you guys updated...

Thanks for all the support thus far!!

Its really helping me to solidify my decision

Holy cow on your success!!! Can I ask how often you work out and what you do for excercise?

Also, Happy early Birthday!!

Before I had surgery, but knew I was getting it - I only told my Mom and sisters and a couple friends. But as it got closer I decided to share with others. It helped me stay accountable, in the past I went on a million diets and other programs and never told anyone or didn't tell everything - so I decided to be more open. That's what works for me, but we're all different. The doctor had me on a pre-op abd a post-op diet. I went on phase 1 of the adkins diet 3 weeks before surgey and lost 27 pounds. I pushed it to that limit. See, If I didn't lose those 27 pounds I was told they wouldn't do my surgery - that scared me! From the day of the surgery + 4 weeks I was on a liquid to soft food diet which went from Clear Liquids to mushy foods as the days progressed. Every dr is different and will perscribe whatever they think is benefitial to their patients. It was tough the fisrt 2 weeks - I constantly thought about food - I mean all day long! But I stuck with the program to a T! It really skyrocketed my results. I joined a gym about 6 weeks post-op. I started at 349lbs, I was 300lbs when I joined the gym and I'm 205 now - and I'm 9months post-op. If you follow what the doctor suggests you will reap the success you want!

I'm excited for you!

Good Luck with your journey!

Rebecca