Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frustrated...

I am scheduled to go in for my 2nd fill on Thursday but I'm questioning whether I want one or not. The first 4 weeks after surgery I lost about double what I have in the 3 weeks after my first fill. After the fill, I lost about 2 pounds within the first 2-3 days. Then I fought those same 2-3 pounds for 2 1/2 weeks... yoyoing with them on the scale. FINALLY Saturday night I weighed in 2 pounds lighter then the initial loss and then another 1 1/2 pounds the next morning (which I equate to an empty stomach). I just feel like I was losing better without a fill. I am strict on my diet and I exercise a LOT. The nurse at the doctors office told me I may not lose weight as fast as I would like to see it on the scale with weight training but... I don't want loose skin and I'm a fan of muscle so that's a choice I chose to stick with. Anyone else having issues after fills?

I have upped my calories this past week, and have been losing wonderfully! I think sometimes, people just aren't eating enough!

I am scheduled to go in for my 2nd fill on Thursday but I'm questioning whether I want one or not. The first 4 weeks after surgery I lost about double what I have in the 3 weeks after my first fill. After the fill, I lost about 2 pounds within the first 2-3 days. Then I fought those same 2-3 pounds for 2 1/2 weeks... yoyoing with them on the scale. FINALLY Saturday night I weighed in 2 pounds lighter then the initial loss and then another 1 1/2 pounds the next morning (which I equate to an empty stomach). I just feel like I was losing better without a fill. I am strict on my diet and I exercise a LOT. The nurse at the doctors office told me I may not lose weight as fast as I would like to see it on the scale with weight training but... I don't want loose skin and I'm a fan of muscle so that's a choice I chose to stick with. Anyone else having issues after fills?

As long as you are losing and your hunger is controlled you do not need a fill. And as far as doing weight training - well the goal is to be healthy and toned not a slave to the number on the scale but I know that for some doctors that is a validation of THEIR success.

@Amberakamom - I thought about that. Maybe I need to change my intake and see if that helps.

@Cleo's mom - My doctor's office is very encouraging regardless of the scale. I have been measuring myself at home just because I figured that would help to encourage me when the scale is letting me down. I know I shouldn't be a "slave to the number" but when you work so hard you want to see something that shows you how well you're doing. I need to measure. I was going to try to start doing so every month but I think I may skip back down to every two weeks. That way if the numbers are letting me down on the scale the measurements can help. It's been a month since my last measurements and I was down 12.5 inches in 10 days from the time before. I'm excited to see what a month will be. I guess I should measure before I get frustrated with the scale. It's just hard not to be upset/frustrated when the scale's not moving like you wish it would.

Thank you both for the encouragment!

I agree with Amber about adding more calories. I plateaued around the time of my first fill, and it seemed impossible to lose anything. Then I took my nutrition up from around 1000 calories a day to between 1200 and 1500, and the weight is now steadily moving downward.

And Swan, one thing to remember is that muscle weighs more than fat, so you may not see the pounds coming off very much, but you may be losing fat, and gaining muscle. At my last fill I had a talk with the PA who does fills. She showed me a chart of my weight loss so far, and the fat percentages were moving downward, while the muscle percentages were moving upward. She said I was right on track for what they want to see.

I'm probably sounding like a broken record, but I can't emphasize enough about how sold I am on the Bodymedia.com armband. There are several versions, one of which is the Bodybugg, the armband worn by contestants on The Biggest Loser. This awesome gadget will show you on your computer screen exactly where you are for the day, in terms of exercise, calories eaten, calories burned, and the calorie deficit you need to equal weight loss. It takes the guess work out of everything. It's incredible!

Dave

Well, a fill would be required if you are hungry all the time.. other wise maybe you don't need it.

Before the fill it was just healing mostly, and you were on mushies and liquids thats why you lost more weight.

Yea just make little tweeks and see if that helps. I'm more liberal on my diet than a lot of people. I want it to be realistic. I eat a good 1200 calories a day. I'm not one of those people that eats like 1 egg for Breakfast, and 1/4 cup of tuna for lunch.. and I'm losing 1-3lbs a week. It's all complicated! One week I go balls to the wall 5 days a week, INTENSE exercise and I lose a pound. Which I HATE, and makes it feel so useless when you don't lose much, and spend 6 hours in the gym. The next week, I do some walking, or an exercise video for maybe 4 days, not nearly as intense and I lose a pound or two. I'm trying to figure out the right balance. The body is just fickle I guess.

So I haven't been on in a while but I did go ahead and get a fill... 1.6 cc's added to my 2.4 so i'm at 4 cc's in a 10 cc band. Honestly, this feels good. I know the first week can be tighter so the real test is on now. I got my 2nd fill on Thursday, February 24th. It's been 10 days. After only losing 5 lbs in the 4 weeks after my 1st fill, I lost 5 lbs in the ONE WEEK after my 2nd. Five pounds in a week is a lot - my goal is about 10 lbs a month so I know this week may be slower but it was encouraging, nonetheless.

And while I know muscle weighs more than fat (thanks for the reminder :D ) it's still hard to swallow fighting the same pounds week after week when you're working so hard. But, accoring to my TANITA printout - my fat was down like 14 lbs and my muscle was up 3 lbs. I was also holding on to more Water (probably a result of mother nature.. lol).

So again guys -- thank you so much for your continued support and talking some sense in to me when I get down on myself. It all works out in the end, we just need reminders.

Some short-term goals:

1. Down another 40 lbs by vacation (July)

2. Down 50 lbs by my husband's school reunion (August)

How great would that be :-)

And by the way -- I'm the weight now that I am when I met my husband. Another 10 lbs and we are heading into unchartered waters. LOL :rolleyes:

So I haven't been on in a while but I did go ahead and get a fill... 1.6 cc's added to my 2.4 so i'm at 4 cc's in a 10 cc band. Honestly, this feels good. I know the first week can be tighter so the real test is on now. I got my 2nd fill on Thursday, February 24th. It's been 10 days. After only losing 5 lbs in the 4 weeks after my 1st fill, I lost 5 lbs in the ONE WEEK after my 2nd. Five pounds in a week is a lot - my goal is about 10 lbs a month so I know this week may be slower but it was encouraging, nonetheless.

And while I know muscle weighs more than fat (thanks for the reminder :D ) it's still hard to swallow fighting the same pounds week after week when you're working so hard. But, accoring to my TANITA printout - my fat was down like 14 lbs and my muscle was up 3 lbs. I was also holding on to more Water (probably a result of mother nature.. lol).

So again guys -- thank you so much for your continued support and talking some sense in to me when I get down on myself. It all works out in the end, we just need reminders.

Some short-term goals:

1. Down another 40 lbs by vacation (July)

2. Down 50 lbs by my husband's school reunion (August)

How great would that be :-)

And by the way -- I'm the weight now that I am when I met my husband. Another 10 lbs and we are heading into unchartered waters. LOL :rolleyes:

Well, yahoo! Feeling great for you right now! That's so good to hear. Keep up the great work!

Dave

As a slow loser 10 lb a month is a lot. I lost a good amount after surgery and am averaging 1 lb a week. I do tend to lose several pounds after a fill because of the liquids and mushies for 48 hours. There are a lot of people that lose on the paced you'd like. However there are a lot of people like me who eat a conservative diet and exercise daily but lose slower. Good Luck with your Goal!

Hang in there sweetie and just be good and kind to yourself. Keep doing what you are doing and it's going to come off. I went thru all of the things you went thru with the 1 lb down, 2 up, 3 down, 1 up and I tryed to just be patient. I have lost 124 lbs but it's taken over a year and if it takes another year to take off the last of it I'm cool with that. My fill is pretty tight now and so it's much easier to eat less. I have to watch out that I'm not drinking in extra calories. I'm 51 so I have absolutely no metabolism unless I exercise. I keep it pretty simple and walk 3 miles three days a week and do a little band work or stretching on the other days. I certainly don't want my body getting used to some crazy workout routine and have the fat come back on when I stop doing it.

Anyway, you are doing great and just be patient!

Karen

Thank you Dave and Hank!

Karen - you're the one that has done an excellent job! 124 lbs gone - wow, that's phenomenal! Thank you for the encouragment!