Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Saying Good Bye to Food!

Hi, I am a newbie, I have already attended a seminar, seen my surgeon, and am scheduled for the psych eval this week. Luckily, my insurance does not require a diet. They used to require 6 months of medically managed weight loss program before approving surgery. However, they have recently lifted that requirement. I feel I will be approved shortly after the paperwork is sent in. But I am wondering if anyone else is like me. I seem to be on a "Good bye Tour" of all the fast food restaurants that I will never be able to eat in again. I think I am getting it out of my system. But it is similar to a mourning period. I am sad about all the restrictions I will be putting on myself but at the same time very happy that I am taking my future in my hands and making this major change in my life. We are all very brave to do this. I am sure alot of people think that surgery is the 'lazy' way to lose weight. However, as I am learning, there is nothing lazy about this process. Living with the lap band is going to be a major committment and is going to take alot of work to be successful. I was just wondering if what I am feeling now is normal? I am looking forward to ending this "good bye' period and starting on my healthy eating plan for about a month before surgery.

Erink58

I made the decision to be banded not just to lose weight but to finally be able to keep it off. My Dr requires a 2 week pre op liquid diet to reduce belly fat, shrink the stomach and liver and to show his patients that the weight WILL come off if you only eat 800 calories per day!

My liquid diet started the day before Thanksgiving...:unsure: So the weekend before, my hubby and I took a long weekend getaway to our favorite beach town and feasted on seafood for lunch, big leisurely weekend breakfasts and steaks, burgers, wings and fries for dinner! We drank fruity drinks and rum laden treats! All of my favs jammed into 3 days! We had a ball and by Monday I was ready to get my head ready for the Wednesday liquid shakes which would become my friends for 2 weeks while everyone else was eating Thanksgiving dinner and leftovers for a week!

Somehow I didnt gain but one pound on my weekend of culinary delights and I can tell you now...if I would have done it for a week or a month... I would be SO cursing myself right now because I would have even more weight to lose than I still do.

So ... the moral to the story... have fun, enjoy but don't go overboard... you will regreat it in a few months! If you have decided to be banded... why not start cutting back some now so you will reach your goal faster?B)

Hi, I am a newbie, I have already attended a seminar, seen my surgeon, and am scheduled for the psych eval this week. Luckily, my insurance does not require a diet. They used to require 6 months of medically managed weight loss program before approving surgery. However, they have recently lifted that requirement. I feel I will be approved shortly after the paperwork is sent in. But I am wondering if anyone else is like me. I seem to be on a "Good bye Tour" of all the fast food restaurants that I will never be able to eat in again. I think I am getting it out of my system. But it is similar to a mourning period. I am sad about all the restrictions I will be putting on myself but at the same time very happy that I am taking my future in my hands and making this major change in my life. We are all very brave to do this. I am sure alot of people think that surgery is the 'lazy' way to lose weight. However, as I am learning, there is nothing lazy about this process. Living with the lap band is going to be a major committment and is going to take alot of work to be successful. I was just wondering if what I am feeling now is normal? I am looking forward to ending this "good bye' period and starting on my healthy eating plan for about a month before surgery.

Erink58

I've found myself doing the same thing. I feel confident that when the pre-op diet time comes that I will be ready to discipline myself, but I just wanted to taste some old favorites one last time. The funny part is that I haven't eaten at some of these restaurants in years due to my attempt to lose weight. I see the surgeon on the Feb 14th and once I get my "marching orders" I'll begin my new diet for life!

It's known as the "Last Supper Syndrome". I did it, had a few of my favorite things in excess. I said goodbye to overeating and haven't looked back :)

Erink58

YES I know. I actually cried, felt all emotional. I refer to myself as a Pastarian, so I made a big batch of spaghetti. I could only eat a little...of all times. I thought about cruising main and stopping at every fast food joint. My surgery is March 11, so now I have started the pre-op diet....HUNGRY.... trying to get the frame of mind going...Getting there...also getting nervous. Here we go..!!!!

My surgery is next week, so tomorrow is my last day of eating - overeating to be exact - before the liquid diet begins. It's almost like when they tell you to smoke until you feel sick and then you'll never want to smoke a cigarette ever again... I have eaten so much this week that I am really ready to not feel so full! It's emotional though... food has been such a comfort to me for so long. But this body is like being in a prison, and I am definitely ready to break free!

Just chiming in; there truly is no need to say goodbye to food though you do say goodbye to overeating, binging, etc. All foods are good in moderation, keep that in mind. I stayed away from bread up until about a week ago. Why? I need more calories and healthy carbs, so I now eat low carb/whole grain bread.

Of course what you can/cannot eat will be dictated by your band tightness. Mine isn't too tight but just enough so I don't have many problems eating anything.

I agree with Reverie. A lot of posters talk about not being able to eat certain foods. I wonder if they are in reality to tight. I would say I am very close to restriction if not in my sweet spot. I can eat any food I want. I just choose not to. You want to know how I control gravings? On the occational weekend after an hour work out and a small healthy lunch out I go to costco and see what they are giving away. I am 95% full and can reject foods that don't interest me and have 2-3 things that do. Stuff I can't keep in my house like crackers. And the other thing is they don't give you very much. I am not going to feel guilty about half a cookie every other week.

I was not on a pre surgery liquid diet because I was loosing weight on my own program. I did move to 2 Protein shakes a day with a small healhy lunch. The day before surgery my mother and I went to Not Your Average Joes and SPLIT a lunch. I feared from everyones postings I would never be able to eat bread again (and they have a great onion bread with spicy parmician cheese and olive oil dipping sauce). Guess what I can still eat it.

I did it too. Last Supper Syndrome hit me really hard and since my surgeon didn't require a pre op diet for me...it was bad with the cravings and emotions. I was eating stuff I hadn't eaten in years by choice...like croissants...lol. Hadn't eaten one in 3 years...hadn't desired to....but when I saw a ham sandwhich on a croissant I had to have it...crazy mixed up emotions.

However symbolism has been BIG for me in my life, dealing with hard emotional things...so the whole time I was eating that sandwhich I was enjoying the texture of that croissant, focusing on the flavor and found it to be a mediocre sandwhich at best. I realized that the true flavor of the sandwhich was in the meat and veg that I can still have...but symbolicly...I was saying goodbye.

After surgery the 3 weeks liquid diet (that I am still on) was easy for week one while dealing with healing...week two HARD...the family was eating junk and it was very emotional....had a couple melt downs that you can read about in my blog...but since starting the third week it is way easier! It honestly is like going through a detox from drugs.

My advice...while you are eating and overindulging on your last suppers...really try to savor the flavors and textures and mentally record what it actually tastes like...even write it down if you can so you can refer to it when the menal craving hits you. Then you can remember that your memory of how that tastes is actually lying to you. It's never quite as good as the craving would lead you to beleive. :)

yep.... I get banded next month and I found myself doing the same thing.. but in small portions so its not totally bad.... but I cried when I finally found my favorite ice cream.. Coconut and Pinapple... not only was I sick.. but I also had just started the month with starting backwards on the eating stages so that I wont be putting myself thru a shock... lol...:rolleyes:

After surgery you can eat pretty much anything -- in moderation -- small and deliberate bites.

It definitely teaches you to indulge carefully.

Yep i indulged myself ate everything and anything it got me ready for the preop diet...Im 5 days on preopt now...Im still thinking that i will beable to eat the same foods just not as much...or differently. I would love to only beable to eat one slice of pizza and be satisfied...instead of the whole thing and feel like a blimp..

i'm almost 3 years post-op and i can still remember eating all of my "last meals"! in all honesty, it will be awhile before you can eat any of those foods again and you'll never be able to eat the volume ever again. the volume is what i still have a problem accepting. the most difficult part of this journey will be in your head. but the outcome is worth it!

I have been doing it too. I spent Friday, Saturday and Sunday of this past weekend indulging in all sorts of treats--fast food, ice cream, candy, etc. I wanted a pizza hut stuffed crust pizza. I ate it after a cheeseburger baconator at Wendys. I should add I didn't eat the whole pizza. I needed to do it. I felt crappy after eating the junk....it's like I had to get it out of my system. Crazy thing is that I lost a pound....I still drank Water. I am ready now. Nothing tasted that great.....I may have one final last meal at the Olive Garden. But, other than that, I am going back to my 6 month diet and have been incorporating more and more Protein.< /p>