Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PCOS & Lap Band?

Has anyone on here struggled with PCOS and then had Lap Band? Has the weight loss changed the PCOS symptoms?

Hey there!

I was dx. with PCOS when I was 13. Struggled with it all my life. About 8 months before I got the band, my PCOS took a shift on it's own, and I started cycling regularly, which, I never had done before. Since getting the band, and losing 180+ pounds (so far!) I know my blood work, and transvaginal scans all say "no more PCOS"

I did have hair on my face, but I went to American Laser, and had laser treatments every 7 weeks for 3 years. Now, 98% of that hair is gone.

So..... I suppose if someone wanted to, they could UN-diagnose me?

It's crazy!

I have PCOS too. I am hoping symptoms get relief as I lose weight and have less insulin resistance. Hope to cut Metformin in half too!

Mu PCOS is gone too after losing weight. I, too, started regular periods about 3 months prior to surgery. My doctor has officially un-diagnosed me LOL

Hey there!

I was dx. with PCOS when I was 13. Struggled with it all my life. About 8 months before I got the band, my PCOS took a shift on it's own, and I started cycling regularly, which, I never had done before. Since getting the band, and losing 180+ pounds (so far!) I know my blood work, and transvaginal scans all say "no more PCOS"

I did have hair on my face, but I went to American Laser, and had laser treatments every 7 weeks for 3 years. Now, 98% of that hair is gone.

It's crazy!

I was officially "un-diagnosed" within weeks to a month or so after banding. I no longer need metformin and all of my symptoms are gone.

I actually have had issues with this all of my adult life. Diagnosed about 8 years ago when couldn't get pregnant. I didn't have a period for over a year and a half and within the first month, started having them again. No BC being used, down 90 lbs and no such luck, but they are started again. I was taken off of the glucophage when I had the surgery and haven't taken since. I am also hypothyroid and on a very small dose(less than 1/2) than before surgery,so I think it all works itself out with the weight loss.

Good Luck!! Ask any questions that yu may have

Hey there!

It's crazy!

It's good to hear you are doing so well! By the way, great weight loss too!!!!!!:Banane27: :Banane34: Let's make a toast to your suceess so far!

Mu PCOS is gone too after losing weight. I, too, started regular periods about 3 months prior to surgery. My doctor has officially un-diagnosed me LOL

It is wonderful to see people near the end of their weight loss journey with fantastic results!:Banane48: :party:

I was officially "un-diagnosed" within weeks to a month or so after banding. I no longer need metformin and all of my symptoms are gone.

It's great to hear your symptoms are gone! Also, wow another great weight loss on this post.:Banane34: Cheers!

Has anyone on here struggled with PCOS and then had Lap Band? Has the weight loss changed the PCOS symptoms?

I was diagnosed with PCOS 2 years ago - I found out later that I am alergic to metformin, and that's what lead me weight loss surgery - I needed someting else to help me lose weight/treat my PCOS. I never knew before why it was so difficult to lose weight and I had so many crazy symptoms! I'm encourgaed to see so many good experiences here with people being un-diagnosed - that is so encouraging!! :)

I was diagnosed with PCOS very recently, about two years ago. I have lost about 20 pounds in three weeks between the pre op diet and during recovery, but I was concerned because my cycle had become very irregular. I had a sonogram last week and my ovaries were totally normal. I find it hard to believe such a small weight loss could make a difference, but I guess it did for me!

I was wondering the same. some of your results are amazing. I was diagnosed in 1998. went thru infertility treatments etc. Deal with a LOT of symptoms. While doing the pre diet for insurance I started having a period after 2 1/2 years without one and guess what even ovulated which I hadn't seen but a couple times in my life! Amazing. I'm totally believing that the lap band will help ALL my symptoms. I'm so excited. Waiting to be approved now ;) So happy for you all!

I've been off metformin since two weeks after my surgery, which was 8 weeks ago.