Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Procedure may be Rescheduled

Elle23
Sign in to follow this  

I just got a call from one of my doctor's nurses, and she said that my band date may have to be rescheduled from 02/10 to a later date due to rolling blackouts (maybe the end of the month?!?!). All of the surgeries that they had on schedule for today were cancelled, and they anticipate the same for tomorrow (however, I'll probably still have my pre-op consultation with my doctor...which is good -- I just have to call them tomorrow morning to make sure they are open). What would bump me later is all of the procedures that are cancelled (they have schedule priority first).

I've never ever encountered rolling blackouts in my area (we are currently experiencing a hard freeze and some Water lines at the local power plants have broken). The hospitals, fire, and police departments are fine -- but smaller centers like the surgicenter where I'm supposed to be banded have been affected.

I guess I'm just disappointed...sorry to vent. It's just hard to work towards something, have a date on the calendar, and then possibly have it taken away for a later date. Boo. I think the pre-op diet has made me a little cranky. LoL. :blink:

Elle! I am so sorry. :( That is a big bummer, I know. You won't believe this, but I have to call my doc's office tomorrow to see if I can reschedule mine to the 23rd because my sister called me last night to tell me she was not going to be able to come down the week of the 16th. Niiiiice. Not her fault, but still....urgh.

So, we might be banded on the same day! You never know!! :D

Hi everybody!

As it turns out, I will have my band as scheduled on 02/10. I spoke with my doctor, and he was happy with my pre-op diet results, so he is definitely getting me in that day. On the flipside -- at the pre-op consult with him, I got to meet a few other future bandsters (all of us are getting banded in the next week) and it was pretty eye opening. The other bandsters ranged from people that have read a lot of information, talked to friends/coworkers/family who are banded, and have started to really mentally prepare for change -- to -- people who didn't even know what a BMI is (???...that really confused me). The woman I was sitting next to is paying out of pocket and she told me that she is doing this on a whim because she hates dieting...it kind of blew my mind. Plus, she admitted to hardly following the pre-op diet. I spoke up about maybe getting together a local support group and none of them seemed too interested. :(

Anyway, I am excited and ramped up about my band date! I'm starting to gather post-op supplies (chicken and veggie broth, unflavored whey Protein to mix into things, sugar-free Jello, etc.). I am a little nervous, because the doctor is also going to replair my hiatal hernia and the nurse said it will probably cause me the most discomfort. But, I guess my new life begins 02/10! :D

I hope you are all doing well!

Texas Mama ~ Boo! About having to change your date. But it does give more time to prepare. (((HUGS))) to you!

Oh gosh, I'm so sorry! I cannot imagine having to wait any longer when you have something in your mind!

I hope you don't get bumped and if you do, I hope it isn't too much longer.

I hear you on the cranky. I am VERY cranky with headaches with the pre-op diet so far.

Ugh...

I just got a call from one of my doctor's nurses, and she said that my band date may have to be rescheduled from 02/10 to a later date due to rolling blackouts (maybe the end of the month?!?!). All of the surgeries that they had on schedule for today were cancelled, and they anticipate the same for tomorrow (however, I'll probably still have my pre-op consultation with my doctor...which is good -- I just have to call them tomorrow morning to make sure they are open). What would bump me later is all of the procedures that are cancelled (they have schedule priority first).

I've never ever encountered rolling blackouts in my area (we are currently experiencing a hard freeze and some Water lines at the local power plants have broken). The hospitals, fire, and police departments are fine -- but smaller centers like the surgicenter where I'm supposed to be banded have been affected.

I guess I'm just disappointed...sorry to vent. It's just hard to work towards something, have a date on the calendar, and then possibly have it taken away for a later date. Boo. I think the pre-op diet has made me a little cranky. LoL. :blink:

Hey Elle! My latest post must have been a casualty in the big post loss from this month. I, too, am keeping my original date! So it's all good!

I understand about it being an eye-opener. I think it just reinforces the idea that ultimately, it's our own strength that will get us through this journey and lead us to success. I think just based on what you said here that you are MORE than ready and will do great!

Hi everybody!

As it turns out, I will have my band as scheduled on 02/10. I spoke with my doctor, and he was happy with my pre-op diet results, so he is definitely getting me in that day. On the flipside -- at the pre-op consult with him, I got to meet a few other future bandsters (all of us are getting banded in the next week) and it was pretty eye opening. The other bandsters ranged from people that have read a lot of information, talked to friends/coworkers/family who are banded, and have started to really mentally prepare for change -- to -- people who didn't even know what a BMI is (???...that really confused me). The woman I was sitting next to is paying out of pocket and she told me that she is doing this on a whim because she hates dieting...it kind of blew my mind. Plus, she admitted to hardly following the pre-op diet. I spoke up about maybe getting together a local support group and none of them seemed too interested. :(

Anyway, I am excited and ramped up about my band date! I'm starting to gather post-op supplies (chicken and veggie broth, unflavored whey Protein to mix into things, sugar-free Jello, etc.). I am a little nervous, because the doctor is also going to replair my hiatal hernia and the nurse said it will probably cause me the most discomfort. But, I guess my new life begins 02/10! :D

I hope you are all doing well!

Texas Mama ~ Boo! About having to change your date. But it does give more time to prepare. (((HUGS))) to you!

Hi Elle!

I had my surgery on the 28th of Jan.

I was expecting to go home the same day; however, I needed a hernia repair as well, and I was having a LOT of pain post-op @ the hernia repair site AND the port site. I was also very nauseated and was afraid that I wouldn't be able to keep pain medicine from coming back up... I opted to stay overnight... and believe me, I took the IV pain/nausea med EVERY chance I could!:(

Are you prepared to stay overnight if need be?

I felt silly and disappointed that I needed to stay... but I just swallowed my pride!

Good luck... keep us posted :)

Okay, I hate to keep this saga going, but now it seems that the insurance approval department at my doctor's office has messed up and submitted me under his partner (for which I was accepted). I just spent an hour on the phone with them and since I was approved with a different bariatric surgeon and not my own -- they cancelled it (the approval for his partner to perform the banding) and resubmitted me under my regular doctor...however, it could take a couple of weeks to approve...AGAIN (and I'm not sure what my insurance is going to make of this...I have BCBS). At this rate, I may not be with you February bandsters if my band date gets moved to early March -- but I'll still stay. :) I'm just totally irritated that -- 1.) They messed up...I've never even met the other surgeon in the practice. 2.) My doctor only does surgeries on Thursdays and is booked up solid. 3.) I've been on the pre-op diet since January 26th and they want me to continue indefinitely...becaused they messed up. I feel really prepared and mentally ready, but things just keep happening. I started researching the band over a year ago and visited the clinic for the first time in October 2010. Sorry to complain so much. All I can say is BOO...major BOO. :sorry:

Texas Mama ~ I'm so happy for you! Is your sis making it on time? You are going to do so awesome! I can't wait to hear how it all goes for you. :D

Carollee ~ Hello! Thank you for sharing about the hiatal hernia repair -- how long did the pain last and was it primarily in your shoulder? I haven't really asked about overnight stays -- that's a good thing to mention, especially since I now have more time. How long does your doctor wait for you to have a fill? And, how was the post-op eating? Did you do 1 week Clear liquids, 1 week thicker liquids, and then onto mushies? Again, thank you for your input! :)

Okay, I hate to keep this saga going, but now it seems that the insurance approval department at my doctor's office has messed up and submitted me under his partner. I just spent an hour on the phone with them and since I was approved with a different bariatric surgeon and not my own -- they cancelled it and resubmitted me under my regular doctor...however, it could take a couple of weeks to approve...AGAIN. At this rate, I may not be with you February bandsters if my band date gets moved to early March -- but I'll still stay. :) I'm just totally irritated that -- 1.) They messed up...I've never even met the other surgeon in the practice. 2.) My doctor only does surgeries on Thursdays and is booked up solid. 3.) I've been on the pre-op diet since January 26th and they want me to continue indefinitely...becaused they messed up. I feel really prepared and mentally ready, but things just keep happening. I started researching the band over a year ago and visited the clinic for the first time in October 2010. Sorry to complain so much. All I can say is BOO...major BOO. :sorry:

Texas Mama ~ I'm so happy for you! Is your sis making it on time? You are going to do so awesome! I can't wait to hear how it all goes for you. :D

Carollee ~ Hello! Thank you for sharing about the hiatal hernia repair -- how long did the pain last and was it primarily in your shoulder? I haven't really asked about overnight stays -- that's a good thing to mention, especially since I now have more time. How long does your doctor wait for you to have a fill? And, how was the post-op eating? Did you do 1 week Clear Liquids, 1 week thicker liquids, and then onto mushies? Again, thank you for your input! :)

Wow, Elle, I am really sorry. That is horrible! I hope it all gets worked out though. I was reading either here or on a blog somewhere about this person that went through a series of delays and they thought, wow, maybe this is God telling me "don't do it", but they went ahead and they were SO glad they did. So just think how much sweeter this will all be when you are done with surgery and losing weight! I don't sense by your post that you're even considering giving up, but I just wanted to encourage you anyway! :D

Elle,

I'm so mad FOR YOU! I can't believe there was a mistake made like that. Can't they just call BCBS and have the doctor switched on the pre-cert? I mean, they approved the surgery...why so long to switch the doc?!

Please do stay with us even if you do end up a March bandster.

Hang in there!

Okay, I hate to keep this saga going, but now it seems that the insurance approval department at my doctor's office has messed up and submitted me under his partner (for which I was accepted). I just spent an hour on the phone with them and since I was approved with a different bariatric surgeon and not my own -- they cancelled it (the approval for his partner to perform the banding) and resubmitted me under my regular doctor...however, it could take a couple of weeks to approve...AGAIN (and I'm not sure what my insurance is going to make of this...I have BCBS). At this rate, I may not be with you February bandsters if my band date gets moved to early March -- but I'll still stay. :) I'm just totally irritated that -- 1.) They messed up...I've never even met the other surgeon in the practice. 2.) My doctor only does surgeries on Thursdays and is booked up solid. 3.) I've been on the pre-op diet since January 26th and they want me to continue indefinitely...becaused they messed up. I feel really prepared and mentally ready, but things just keep happening. I started researching the band over a year ago and visited the clinic for the first time in October 2010. Sorry to complain so much. All I can say is BOO...major BOO. :sorry:

Carollee ~ Hello! Thank you for sharing about the hiatal hernia repair -- how long did the pain last and was it primarily in your shoulder? I haven't really asked about overnight stays -- that's a good thing to mention, especially since I now have more time. How long does your doctor wait for you to have a fill? And, how was the post-op eating? Did you do 1 week Clear Liquids, 1 week thicker liquids, and then onto mushies? Again, thank you for your input! :)