Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low Iron

i'm almost 3 years post op and just 5 pounds shy from my personal goal weight. this past summer i went to my family doctor for a routine physical and she ran some blood tests. one of the tests came back for low Iron. i took an Iron supplement for a few months then stopped because i felt that i should be at a normal level. i just went in again for a routine exam and had her test my blood. i just got the results today and once again, my iron is low.

i thought because my periods are always really, really bad that was the reason for the low iron but i made sure i went in between my cycle to get an accurate reading. here are my levels:

hemoglobin 10.5 (should be between 11.5-15.0)

MCH 24.5 (should be between 27.0-34.0)

MCHC 30.3 (should be between 32.0-36.0)

Iron, Serum 19 (should be between 35-155)

Iron Saturation 5 (should be between 15-55)

Ferritin, Serum (should be between 13-150)

i don't know what any of it means. i just got a letter from my doctor in the mail saying to start taking iron supplements. some of the research online said to eat leafy green veggies and red meat. i don't eat those at all. will i be stuck on supplements forever? has anyone else had any problems with their iron levels?

Yes, but my haemoglobin level was waaaay lower, down to 4 - it was 10 five years ago when banded. But that was a combination of reasons, not just beign banded.

Iron levels take months and months to come up again on supplements, its taken me since last August to get back up to normal levels and that's with supplements AND with my band being totally unfilled AND going into early menopause due to radiation and chemotherapy, so no more periods to lose iron.. But you cant take a supplement just for a couple of months and you have to address the reasons why its low. Iron can be a problem with bandsters due to the difficulty of eating read meat and leafy greens, anyway, but add in periods etc and it can be a struggle for many women to keep levels up. Also, you need to be careful that you're not following dietary practices that make iron absorption difficult - coffee or tea with meals for example.

i have to say, I never *felt* low in iron but the difference now - my hair has stopped shedding (i thought it was just me, Iv'e shed hair for years) and I look soooo much better - better colour and no dark undereye circles. I also find my runs much more pleasant, no feeling of lead legs.

I have "lower" Iron levels but they make me do sleepy! My nutritionist had said that Calcium binds with iton and do my body is recognizing it as calcium....so like high iron cereals with milk are really in all actuality being absorbed as calcium. Out my inkjet with spinich and cheese is really not doing much in the way of iron. I take my iron supplement at night far away from any sort of calcium enriched foods. Hope you find a way that works for you!

i'm almost 3 years post op and just 5 pounds shy from my personal goal weight. this past summer i went to my family doctor for a routine physical and she ran some blood tests. one of the tests came back for low Iron. i took an Iron supplement for a few months then stopped because i felt that i should be at a normal level. i just went in again for a routine exam and had her test my blood. i just got the results today and once again, my iron is low.

i thought because my periods are always really, really bad that was the reason for the low iron but i made sure i went in between my cycle to get an accurate reading. here are my levels:

hemoglobin 10.5 (should be between 11.5-15.0)

MCH 24.5 (should be between 27.0-34.0)

MCHC 30.3 (should be between 32.0-36.0)

Iron, Serum 19 (should be between 35-155)

Iron Saturation 5 (should be between 15-55)

Ferritin, Serum (should be between 13-150)

i don't know what any of it means. i just got a letter from my doctor in the mail saying to start taking iron supplements. some of the research online said to eat leafy green veggies and red meat. i don't eat those at all. will i be stuck on supplements forever? has anyone else had any problems with their iron levels?

My iron has been low since I was a teenager. My doctor just told me to start taking Vitamin C, it helps with the absorption of iron. Also, when taking Calcium and iron supplements, make sure they're 2 hours apart. Just like another posted stated, calcium will always be absorbed when competing with other Vitamins.

And, yes, you have to get used to taking them daily. Good luck!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Frugal

Welcome to Frugal Testing, where we are committed to revolutionizing the software testing landscape with our efficient and affordable solutions. As a pioneering company in this field, we understand the challenges faced by startups, small to medium-sized businesses and any organization working without budget constraints. Our mission is to deliver top-notch testing services that ensure the highest quality of software, all while keeping your costs in check.
      Frugal Testing offers a comprehensive suite of testing services tailored to meet diverse needs. Specializing in different types of testing including functional testing, automation testing, metaverse testing and D365 testing, we cover all bases to guarantee thorough software quality assurance. Our approach is not just about identifying bugs; it's about ensuring a seamless and superior user experience.
      Innovation is at the heart of what we do. By integrating the latest tools and technologies, many of which are cutting-edge open source solutions, we stay ahead in delivering efficient and effective testing services. This approach allows us to provide exceptional quality testing without the high costs typically associated with advanced testing methodologies.
      Understanding each client's unique needs is fundamental to our service delivery. At Frugal Testing, the focus is on creating customized testing strategies that align with specific business goals and budget requirements. This client-centric approach ensures that every testing solution is not only effective but also fully aligned with the client's objectives.
      Our team is our greatest asset. Composed of skilled professionals who are experts in the latest testing techniques and technologies, they bring dedication, expertise and a commitment to excellence in every project. This expertise ensures that our client’s software not only meets but often exceeds the highest standards of quality and performance.
      Frugal Testing is more than just a service provider; we are a partner in your success. With a blend of quality, innovation and cost-effectiveness, we are here to help you navigate the complexities of software testing, ensuring your product stands out in today's competitive market. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • ChunkCat

I have no clue where to upload this, so I'll put it here. This is pre-op vs the morning of my 6 month appointment! In office I weight 232, that's 88 lbs down since my highest weight, 75 lbs since my surgery weight! I can't believe this jacket fit... I am smaller now than the last time I was this size which the surgeon found really amusing. He's happy with where I am in my weight loss and estimates I'll be around 200 lbs by my 1 year anniversary! My lowest weight as an adult is 195, so that's pretty damn exciting to think I'll be near that at a year. Everything from there will be unknown territory!!

· 3 replies
      1. AmberFL

You look amazing!!! 😻 you have been killing it!

2. NickelChip

Congratulations! You're making excellent progress and looking amazing!

3. BabySpoons

So proud of you Cat. Getting into those smaller size clothes is half the fun isn't it?. Keep up the good work!!!!

• BeanitoDiego

I changed my profile image to a molecule of protein. Why? Because I am certain that it saved my life.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

That's brilliant! You've done amazing!! I should probably think about changing my profile picture at some point. Mine is the doll from Squid Games. Ironically the whole premise of the show is about dodging death. We've both done that...

• eclarke

Two years out. Lost 120 , regained 5 lbs. Recently has a bout of Norovirus, lost 7 pounds in two days. Now my stomach feels like it did right after my surgery. Sore, sensitive to even water.  Anyone out there have a similar experience?
      · 0 replies
    • Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches