Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Possible Food Stuck

Hi this is my first time posting, My surgery was Dec 8th 05 and my first fill is scheduled for the 16th. I have been going along just great. Yesterday was my first bad time with the band and I am not sure what is going on. I am thinking food is stuck. I was able to eat Breakfast and now only liquids, I have thrown up 4 times now when I try to eat, I have pain in my left shoulder and where I think my stoma is, not all the time though. I have just started walking outside and was winded when I did. I am not sure if I got a peice of bacon stuck even though I thought I chewed it to death or possibly could I have swollen from walking:confused: . I am grabbing at straws just not knowing what is happening. Please any info would be greatly appreciated.

Just don't drink, that would make it worse. Are you having a PB? A "productive burp" is when a particle gets stuck or trapped. It's very uncomfortable, and a good amount of thick slime starts coming up. Normally, one PB purges the stuck item out, then you're supposed to take it easy on your band for a couple days be eating soft foods.

A PB is different than a vomit though. Are you throwing up, like from below your belly?

Question -

If your surgery was on the 8th of Dec. - how are you on bacon already - I was on liquids for two weeks, mushies for two weeks and then gradually to soft foods for two weeks - Bacon was not an option.

My surgeon would have "kicked my butt" if I had eaten things like this - he really made us promise not to mess with the after surgery diet - he insisted that we had to follow this in order to be safe......I was so scared I wouldn't buck they system......

Please - Please call your surgeon as I have heard at my support meetings that they sometimes have to go in and unfill people to get them unstuck. Since you have had no fill - I would try sipping on warm liquids like some tea with honey and lemon.....maybe that will help get you unstuck.

Please take care and let us know how you are doing.

I have been able to burp, the first time I threw up it was pretty strong but not from my lower stomach, it was pretty much clear and mucous all times. Thru the pain time I would have a mucous buildup like in the back of my throat and I couldn't drink even Water to help that. I would hickup thru this process and then go and vomit, 2 times after trying to eat something and then it would be over but when I tried drinking water I would get that gurgle in my throat. I am now sipping on Protein Drink, sort of afraid to try food. Thanks so much for responding so quickly. Oh and as far as eating foods, my dr told me after a week to slowly add what ever I felt comfortable with as long as I chew chew chew, until now I haven't had any problems.

Geez - all the surgeons are different.

I was literally so scared to eat it took me almost two months to put a half way normal bite of food into my mouth.

Please take care and take it easy....

Some people from my support group have talked about jumping up and down to get something unstuck....sounds silly but they swore it worked for them.

Nancy

I think its WAY to early to eat bacon. Even if you surgeon says you can, I would still stay on mushies until at least 3-4 weeks out of surgery. You NEED TIME TO HEAL!!! I cannot stress that enough. Any kind of throwing up or PBing in the 1st few weeks could pop a stick and slip your band - your band needs to stay put to heal in the right place. Only eat 2-3 ounces at a time and stick with mush for goodness sakes! As far as your issue right now - I think your bacon isn't stuck - you already threw it up - I think you are experiecning post PB swelling, which is common after any PB and you are very sensative now b/c you just had your surgery. Stick with liquids for 24 hours and then 2 more day of mush and you should feel fine.

And also, I am healed and not even filled up very tight and bacon is hard as heck to eat - it's also loaded with fat which is hard to chew. Just stay away from bacon if possible. meats and breads are probably the 2 things you will have to chew the most if you can even eat them at all after banding. Good luck - hope you feel better soon!

You better go back to your doctor if this has been going on for a while. Bacon is evil I have to say unless it is really crispy and then chewed well. I have had a few bad runs with bacon. Try proscuitto instead, or just nice lean leg ham. try a few really deep breaths. see if that helps

I think you've probably tried the bacon too early too - even though I know you've got your surgeon's blessing you probably arent ready. It can be hard to know, I was banded Dec 9th and I'm going quite cautiously although I suspect I could eat far more challenging things than I have been.

I havent experienced stuck food or a PB yet so I cant really help on what to do but my notes from my surgeon did say half a glass of flat coca cola can clear a blockage - that stuff can do anything, we used to use it at work to clean the coins from the bottom of the wishing well. Ugh, and people drink it? Lol.