Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bandsters Hell

I am six weeks post-op and am deep into the well known "bandsters hell"!!! All of my will power is completely gone along with any restriction I had from surgery swelling. For the past week, my weight has fluctuated up and down and I hate it!!! My first fill is tomorrow. Right now, I feel terrible about letting myself endulge in more food than I am allowed. Ugh!! Please tell me it will be better after my fill tomorrow!! :unsure:

Well, I can't tell you what you want to hear because I don't know what amount your doc does for his first fill. To be honest it might be a couple of fills before you start to feel restriction. Be brave and keep exercising etc. And thank goodness the Holiday's temptation are behind us. I have been where you are at least 3 times due to unfills then a slip with corrective surgery and to be honest I have gained 17 pounds this time. I will be getting evaluated for a fill next Tuesday and am keeping my expectations low for feeling any restriction and my spirits up as much as possible.

Best wishes on your journey.

Mimi

A fill may make a difference and maybe not. You cant bank on a fill making it easier for you. You have to get it in your head to stop eating when you are not hungry. Your stomach growls when you are hungry if its not growling and you just feel empty then dont eat. Drink when you feel empty not eat. You have to start now or you will not do well. Your to early in the game to be giving up. Stop it and get back into the swing of things right now or you will regret it.

I'm in the same boat -- haven't yet had a fill and have to wait until the 13th - I am sure that it wlil give more restriction and make it easier to tell when you are full. Also we need to remember to try to eat more slowly and not drink Water too soon after eating, choose the Proteins first, etc. We need to get to the "sweet spot" with the band feeling the restriction and then eating less of the right things. Hang in there!!

Deb

It is great to know that I am not the only one feeling this way. I am always hungry and thinking about food since I do not have a fill. My first fill will be around Jan 24th, I dont know how I am going to survive. i dont want to gain the weight I have lost so far (15lbs) so I am sticking to the 1/2 cup rule as close as possible. Plus I have added walking in2 my daily routine.

We can do this!.

Good luck to you and your journey ;)

I am six weeks post-op and am deep into the well known "bandsters hell"!!! All of my will power is completely gone along with any restriction I had from surgery swelling. For the past week, my weight has fluctuated up and down and I hate it!!! My first fill is tomorrow. Right now, I feel terrible about letting myself endulge in more food than I am allowed. Ugh!! Please tell me it will be better after my fill tomorrow!! :unsure:

Thanks to everyone for the vote of confidence. I am not going to have too high of expectations regarding tomorrow's fill. If it gives me restriction, I will have a nice surprise. If it doesn't, I will have to dig deep and find my will power again.

Me too...

I am working very hard to eat only 1200 cals. I never go over 1200, and I only eat good foods. This is hard, everyday its hard. I have no fill, banded 11.19.10. I don't go for a fill till 1.25.10. I saw NUT yesterday and she just kicked me down. I have lost 23lb, but stalled for the last week. NUT told me I should only be eating 700-800cals. I told her I would not be able to do that until maybe after a fill. She basically said I have to use willpower. I left so depressed, I cried on the way home, all 18miles. If I could eat 800 cals a day, I would have done that before getting a band. I know it will get easier as I get some fill. Sometimes I feel like NUT are all over the board when telling us what to do. I am going to find another NUT. She really hurt me and made me feel like a failure.

Me too...

I am working very hard to eat only 1200 cals. I never go over 1200, and I only eat good foods. This is hard, everyday its hard. I have no fill, banded 11.19.10. I don't go for a fill till 1.25.10. I saw NUT yesterday and she just kicked me down. I have lost 23lb, but stalled for the last week. NUT told me I should only be eating 700-800cals. I told her I would not be able to do that until maybe after a fill. She basically said I have to use willpower. I left so depressed, I cried on the way home, all 18miles. If I could eat 800 cals a day, I would have done that before getting a band. I know it will get easier as I get some fill. Sometimes I feel like NUT are all over the board when telling us what to do. I am going to find another NUT. She really hurt me and made me feel like a failure.

I am so sorry that your NUT was so unsupportive. I really don't get why people that don't understand obesity and/or the band, are allowed to work with lapband patients. Good for you that you will not see her again. No one is receptive to abuse, least of all people that are trying to lose weight. KUDOS to you for taking a stand!

All the best to you on your journey!

~Fran

FYI my Nut said to try for 1,000 calories a day.

In regards to controlling serving sizes you need to get a digital food scale; esp. one that you can zero out once you put the plate on top. If you eating at home you need to measure. I buy chicken breast and package up 3 oz portions and freeze them. That way I know I am getting the appropriate amount. It's important to make eating plans, buy the food so that the correct food is readily available. If I have to do a lot of work I'm guarenteed to make a the wrong decision.

Yes it can take a while to get restriction. I am not at the sweet spot yet (close) and have had 5 fill over the last 4 plus months.

Hang in there. My weight loss has slowed down, but seems to be possibly picking up again (mostly due to thyroid meds), but I still struggle mentally with wanting to keep eating. Sometimes I do have an extra bite or so after I have my cup of food. I do usually drink some with my meals (my lapband fill person said it was ok), but I don't eat any more than that. I don't snack between meals and I sometimes don't even get hungry w/4 1/2 to 5 hrs between meals.