Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Throwing up with Lapband

I had the lapband procedure May 27, 2010 and I have lost 44 lbs. I am having problems with throwing up all the time. I am beginning to feel that this must be normal. I have not discussed it with my surgeon. I just want to know if other people have experienced the same thing.

At one point the Doctor gave me my fill and I was unable to eat or drink anything, and had to have him remove some of the fill. I am afraid that if I have him to remove more that I will not continue to loose the weight.

Some days are really good and I can eat without problems then there are days that it does not matter what I eat, it will not stay down.

Is this normal? Talk to me.

No, that is not normal. Sounds like your band is too tight. The other thing you may want to try if you don't want to unfill a bit is that if you throw up, go to liquids for 24 hours, let the swelling go down, then try eating again.

It's not normal at all. You need an unfill, slow down on your eating, or not each so much. I've been banded since the end of June, and have not thrown up.

Pls discuss this with your doctor. You could do serious harm to yourself and your band.

I was banded july 14th and you and i are living the same life. Well unti this past tuesday, my grandaughter got me sick (throwing up sinus drainage) so my doc took some Fluid out for 2 weeks til i get the cold better. Im really thinking i should ask him not to put all of the 2cc's back that he removed. right now im eating, no throwing up and im scared im gonna gain.

I don't know...I read a lot of posts where people are constantly getting stuck and having to 'urp' the stuck item up and out so I'm thinking it may be 'normal'...but it's certainly not adviseable.

For about 4 months this past year I was doing the same thing...getting stuck at least once every time I ate. I didn't lose weight because I resorted to slider foods. I finally realized this couldn't be good for my band or stomach and spoke to the surgeon who said if I was getting stuck and having to throw up the stuck item, then it was either because I wasn't taking small enough bites, not chewing well, not eating more slowly...or had too much of a fill. He was going to take out only 1 cc but I had him take out almost 3 (down to 6cc) so I could get immediately relief from the stuck problem.

Over the next 3 months getting filled back up to 8cc and then having all the Fluid removed (long story, not important here), I realized that my problem was that I was looking for the band to control how much I ate...literally...and it's never going to do that. What I also realized was that when my band was completely unfilled, I was stomach growling *ravenous*, but with 6cc, I'm never hungry except for about an hour before my scheduled meal...and it's a normal hunger.

I'm guessing there are a lot of lap band people (based on the number that deal with stuck issues at almost every meal) looking for that physical restriction and who end up overfilled when they should be looking for a cessation of hunger (except the normal type we feel when it's almost time for our next meal).

Anyway...my .02 and YMMV.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I believe it may take time for me to form new eating habits as I always ate too quickly because I usually ate at my desk. I agree that I probably want the lap band to do all the work and now that I have had the opportunity to review so many post, I realize it is not the lapband but me that needs to make serious changes in my eating habits.

='Laylas grandma' timestamp='1292042198' post='1545371']

I was banded july 14th and you and i are living the same life. Well unti this past tuesday, my grandaughter got me sick (throwing up sinus drainage) so my doc took some Fluid out for 2 weeks til i get the cold better. Im really thinking i should ask him not to put all of the 2cc's back that he removed. right now im eating, no throwing up and im scared im gonna gain.

nope, no matter what you should NOT be throwing up all the time...and if liquids won't go down either? You need an unfill!

Yeah it sucks..i just had it done yesterday :( But last week I had a stomach bug and since then I have not been able to eat ANY food. Even if it was a tiny amount, mushy, and i ate it slow (and even if it felt ok going down)...one hour later it was back up and all liquid ...plus every night i was not sleeping because of acid reflux...i needed to sleep and knew all of that was bad for the band..so i had to go in yesterday. The other doctor in the practice (my surgeon was in the OR all day) explained that after a bad stomach bug (ie vomiting) and/or upper respiratory infection it's common for your stomach to become inflamed and unable to tolerate anything...which means you NEED an unfill to be sure you don't hurt yourself! I only wanted like .25cc taken out..he took out 3! :o I have to go to a bairum swallow next friday to make sure i'm all clear..THEN on the 23rd i can go back and be filled back up...only i don't want to go back to 10.5...i think 10 or 10.25cc's is plenty for me.

Anyways..my point being that you can permanently damage your band and need another surgery if you keep getting sick! As much as we don't want them, GO GET AN UNFILL! Even just .25 will help you....

I am so happy to get this band out tomorrow. I could cheer. I have had it since 11 11 and I have lost a measly 30 lbs.. throwing up almost daily wth was I thinking.. I can't wait to lose the weight the right way My Friends warned me but did I listen! I can't eat a salad I get so sick.. omg.. and meat forget it.. I barely could eat cheese. I have to eat junk to survive.. I cannot wait till 11 30 God please let them take this out@

Regards

Francine

It's not normal at all. You need an unfill, slow down on your eating, or not each so much. I've been banded since the end of June, and have not thrown up.

Pls discuss this with your doctor. You could do serious harm to yourself and your band.

:blush: :wacko: throwing up all the time.. it is disguising. I cannot eat a thing. Worse decision ever.. never ever again.. Hopefully they can remove it tomorrow I have a morning appt. I have lost 30lbs in 3 1/2 yrs..uurrrggghhh
Just ranting.. It was the lap band

Had my band on 5/12/15, I have never thrown up or even felt sick or stuck. Sorry you had all this trouble but no that is not normal. Hope you find some resolution.