Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

December 2010 Bandsters out there?

Hello! I am trying to figure out this forum and how it all works so bear with me! I was banded Friday, Dec. 3rd and have about 85 lbs. to lose. Diabetes runs in my family and I felt like a time bomb and have never been able to keep the weight off. It just crept up and up. I am very active and want to be able to exercise without the aches and pains. I am 5' 10" and 55 years old. I would like to stay in touch with those of a similar situation.

I had a great experience so far and had my band done as an out pt. procedure. I was out at SAM's the very next morning and haven't had alot of pain. Today I did laundry and walked at the mall. I plan to return towork for awhile on Monday. I was fortunate to also have had it done laproscopically and had a great surgeon, Dr. David Provost. All I can say is so far so good!

Hi Garden Gal,

I had my band replaced on Friday, Dec. 3rd. I had the first one put in June 2003 and lost 45 pounds then nothing. The surgeon had place the band too low so I couldn't be filled properly.

Finally in August I had had enough and the xray showed it had slipped and had to be replaced. The original date was Oct. 15th. While I was getting cleared it was discovered that I had diabetes and my primary, would not clear me until I got treated and showed progress with my blood sugar. With meds and exercise I lost weight. When I went to the new Dr. in NYC I weighed 268. When I left for surgery on Friday morning, I was 249. I stayed the night because I also had a major hernia and when I got home on Sat., I was 257. I screamed. Then I realized it was swelling and IV Fluid.

I am glad to see you are out and about. Today, Sunday, I did some major house cleaning. I feel good and just feel like i have a constant upset stomach. You might want to take a few more days off. I took a week. It is really uncomfortable for me to sleep so I am getting an hour here then two hours there but I can't sleep all night.

I am also 5'10 My first goal is 199 and my goal weight is 175. I think I will be comfortable there.

Let's keep in tough

Hello! I am trying to figure out this forum and how it all works so bear with me! I was banded Friday, Dec. 3rd and have about 85 lbs. to lose. Diabetes runs in my family and I felt like a time bomb and have never been able to keep the weight off. It just crept up and up. I am very active and want to be able to exercise without the aches and pains. I am 5' 10" and 55 years old. I would like to stay in touch with those of a similar situation.

I had a great experience so far and had my band done as an out pt. procedure. I was out at SAM's the very next morning and haven't had alot of pain. Today I did laundry and walked at the mall. I plan to return towork for awhile on Monday. I was fortunate to also have had it done laproscopically and had a great surgeon, Dr. David Provost. All I can say is so far so good!

Hi Garden Gal,

I had my band replaced on Friday, Dec. 3rd. I had the first one put in June 2003 and lost 45 pounds then nothing. The surgeon had place the band too low so I couldn't be filled properly.

Finally in August I had had enough and the xray showed it had slipped and had to be replaced. The original date was Oct. 15th. While I was getting cleared it was discovered that I had diabetes and my primary, would not clear me until I got treated and showed progress with my blood sugar. With meds and exercise I lost weight. When I went to the new Dr. in NYC I weighed 268. When I left for surgery on Friday morning, I was 249. I stayed the night because I also had a major hernia and when I got home on Sat., I was 257. I screamed. Then I realized it was swelling and IV Fluid.

I am glad to see you are out and about. Today, Sunday, I did some major house cleaning. I feel good and just feel like i have a constant upset stomach. You might want to take a few more days off. I took a week. It is really uncomfortable for me to sleep so I am getting an hour here then two hours there but I can't sleep all night.

I am also 5'10 My first goal is 199 and my goal weight is 175. I think I will be comfortable there.

Let's keep in tough

Hope I am responding correctly! I need to go throught the instructions on how this forum works! Sorry to hear you had some issues with your band. I am feeling pretty good and am actually at work today. I have a desk job and can come and go, so I may not stay all day. The worst pain has been in my shoulders from the anesthesia. But, that seems to be well controlled with regular Tylenol. I, too, gained about 5 lbs back after surgery and wondered if they had left a surgical instrument in there! But, yes, it is from the Fluid and swelling. I am still pretty bloated. I had only lost about 10 lbs. on the liquid diet prior to surgery, but now I am back down to about 12 lbs.

I hope to reach about 150 lbs., but I am playing it by ear on the weight. It's not so much how much I lose, but how I feel and what it does for my health. My cholesterol was climbing and all my weight was around my middle, which is not good when your family has a history of diabetes.

I live in Texas and the weather has been great so far, so I have no excuse to not get out and walk. What about you? What kind of work do you do?

Wow your are very strong. Today I feel good. No pain meds at all just dealing with it. I did fill my prescription for pain so I can sleep tonight. How was work? I am a teacher and I am on my feet moving all day. I needed a few days. I could probably go back on Wednesday but sick time is for when you are sick so I am going to enjoy it. I also have shoulder pain. The Dr. recommended GasEx which seems to work. I need to take it for a few days. I woke up this morning and lost 9 pounds. All the Water started to leave yesterday and I felt better. I actually jumped. The bloating and swelling weight gone plus 2 more and I will take it.

My diabetes doctor wants me to extend the liquids one more week - I of course threw my head back in laughter. His point was to get more weight off before my first fill. I see his point but I don't know if I am strong enough to do that. I am already planning my 1 cup of mashed potato/mashed chicken dinner.

I live in New Jersey. It was snowing today. I made sure i did some walking but I will rest for the remaining of the afternoon. Shopping is good exercise but hard on the wallet. lol

Hope I am responding correctly! I need to go throught the instructions on how this forum works! Sorry to hear you had some issues with your band. I am feeling pretty good and am actually at work today. I have a desk job and can come and go, so I may not stay all day. The worst pain has been in my shoulders from the anesthesia. But, that seems to be well controlled with regular Tylenol. I, too, gained about 5 lbs back after surgery and wondered if they had left a surgical instrument in there! But, yes, it is from the Fluid and swelling. I am still pretty bloated. I had only lost about 10 lbs. on the liquid diet prior to surgery, but now I am back down to about 12 lbs.

I hope to reach about 150 lbs., but I am playing it by ear on the weight. It's not so much how much I lose, but how I feel and what it does for my health. My cholesterol was climbing and all my weight was around my middle, which is not good when your family has a history of diabetes.

I live in Texas and the weather has been great so far, so I have no excuse to not get out and walk. What about you? What kind of work do you do?

Wow your are very strong. Today I feel good. No pain meds at all just dealing with it. I did fill my prescription for pain so I can sleep tonight. How was work? I am a teacher and I am on my feet moving all day. I needed a few days. I could probably go back on Wednesday but sick time is for when you are sick so I am going to enjoy it. I also have shoulder pain. The Dr. recommended GasEx which seems to work. I need to take it for a few days. I woke up this morning and lost 9 pounds. All the Water started to leave yesterday and I felt better. I actually jumped. The bloating and swelling weight gone plus 2 more and I will take it.

My diabetes doctor wants me to extend the liquids one more week - I of course threw my head back in laughter. His point was to get more weight off before my first fill. I see his point but I don't know if I am strong enough to do that. I am already planning my 1 cup of mashed potato/mashed chicken dinner.

I live in New Jersey. It was snowing today. I made sure i did some walking but I will rest for the remaining of the afternoon. Shopping is good exercise but hard on the wallet. lol

Good for you! Glad to hear your pain has decreased. I took some Tylenol this afternoon, but other than that, I have been ok. Yeah, take your sick time, as it is hard earned when you are a teacher. What do you teach? I have lots of close friends who are teachers and they work hard and deserve so much more for what they do.

My shoulder pain is subsiding somewhat and I am trying the Gas-X to see if it helps. Had SF Jello and chicken broth fro dinner. Probabily will turn in early tonight since I didn't sleep well last night.

Your weight loss sounds like it is going well. I usually weigh in the morning before I shower and I was back down to 10 lbs. where I started before surgery. I was 244.2 when I started with my surgeon. So, now at 234. Been there before, but have never been able to keep it off. I wish I had mashed potatoes and chicken on my diet! My doc starts us out on soft foods, but mostly Proteins like eggs and Greek yogurt. I am terrified of getting the fills and throwing up! He saysy if I follow his instructions I will have no problem...we shall see. Piece of cake.....no pun intended!

I didn't get home in time to walk but did some errands and walked around campus some. Some days just run out of daylight! Enjoy your days of rest! Christmas vacation is just around the corner!

Garden Gal

hey all. i was banded on 12/01. feeling fine except the gas. i am anxious to weigh when i go back in the office tomorrow. i have been working from home since Friday. i feel fine except no energy although i havent been eating much Protein. today i had a smoothie with a shot of Protein powder but still not satisfied. tomorrow i introduce mashed potatoes and well cooked vegetables, that is more my eating style. i am sick of broth and yogurt.

i had no prior medical issues but my weight was steadily climbing up to 243. i am 5ft 4 inches. i have 3 boys and really wanted to get healthy for them before i started to see any issues. i am ready to have energy and feel good each and every day. my boys and my husband are along for the journey even though they know life changes will effect them too.

i didnt weigh before my surgery but had successfully gained 6 lbs in 4 weeks to make sure i made the BMI. while that was fun at the time, not so much now.

i hope to get down to the gym tomorrow at work and walk a bit on the treadmill. i know this will help with the gas chest shoulder pain. are you all taking liquid tylenol or pills? i took my pain meds for a few days but really now only to sleep. i am not much on liquid medicine, i hate the taste it leaves in your mouth and mine is flavored a lovely pineapple. i'd love some ideas for feeling energetic in these first few weeks.

hey all. i was banded on 12/01. feeling fine except the gas. i am anxious to weigh when i go back in the office tomorrow. i have been working from home since Friday. i feel fine except no energy although i havent been eating much Protein. today i had a smoothie with a shot of Protein Powder but still not satisfied. tomorrow i introduce mashed potatoes and well cooked vegetables, that is more my eating style. i am sick of broth and yogurt.

i had no prior medical issues but my weight was steadily climbing up to 243. i am 5ft 4 inches. i have 3 boys and really wanted to get healthy for them before i started to see any issues. i am ready to have energy and feel good each and every day. my boys and my husband are along for the journey even though they know life changes will effect them too.

i didnt weigh before my surgery but had successfully gained 6 lbs in 4 weeks to make sure i made the BMI. while that was fun at the time, not so much now.

i hope to get down to the gym tomorrow at work and walk a bit on the treadmill. i know this will help with the gas chest shoulder pain. are you all taking liquid tylenol or pills? i took my pain meds for a few days but really now only to sleep. i am not much on liquid medicine, i hate the taste it leaves in your mouth and mine is flavored a lovely pineapple. i'd love some ideas for feeling energetic in these first few weeks.

Hi GBG,

Glad you joined us! I hope "takeit out" can see this post, as well. Your situation sounds similar to mine in that I was very healthy, just FAT! My BMI was 30 and I was slowly moving up the scale as the years went by. My kids are older, in fact, one graduates from college in 3 weeks. My son is a sophmore in high school. The don't know I had the surgery and I am a pretty private person and I don't want them to worry. My son was with his dad the the past week so, no one knew any different. My husband of 3 years is very supportive. Diabetes and cancer runs in my family on both sides and obesity contributes to both, so I decided to take charge. Not to mention that my hip, back and knees were beginning to tell me "enough is enough"!

Yeah, the gas is a killer! I was hoping it would be dissipated by now! I took liquid Tylenol 3 with codeine for 3 days periodically, but it makes me itch, so I stoppped and am just using Tylenol capsules with no problem. My doc is pretty adamnet about stying on liquids until my post op visit on the the 9th. Then it's high Protein foods, yougurt, pureed veggies, and the like. He doesn't promote mashed potatoes or other high carb concentrate foods. I am not a mash potato eater, but I do love sweet potatoes, so maybe I can have a bit of those mashed.

I hope your weigh in goes well tomorrow. I am down 12 lbs. since I started the Liquid Protein diet on the 19th of December. So, at least I am headed the right direction! Let us hear back from you and good luck!

Hello everyone! I am so glad I found this sight. It has really answered alot of questions for me. I was banded yesterday 12-7. I have been able to drink the amounts my doctor wants without any problem. The concern I have is that I ran a low grade fever last night and still have it. Between 99;9 and 100.6. I had to wear a foley cath. home for a few days because general anesthesia caused me to be unable to urinate for a few days. I also get frequent utis. I wonder if that is what is causing my fever. I have called the nurse, but no response yet.

Good luck to all!

Hello everyone! I am so glad I found this sight. It has really answered alot of questions for me. I was banded yesterday 12-7. I have been able to drink the amounts my doctor wants without any problem. The concern I have is that I ran a low grade fever last night and still have it. Between 99;9 and 100.6. I had to wear a foley cath. home for a few days because general anesthesia caused me to be unable to urinate for a few days. I also get frequent utis. I wonder if that is what is causing my fever. I have called the nurse, but no response yet.

Good luck to all!

Hi all...I was banded on 12/3/2010. I am not really having much pain anymore. Just having some pressure/tightness in my chest that comes and goes. Is anyone else experiencing this? I am hoping that it's normal. I also have a rash on my stomach - which the nurse at my Doctor's office thought was probably a reaction to the iodine used in surgery. I can feel my port - which causes me some discomfort especially at night when trying to sleep.

I have 100 pounds to lose. I am 5'2" and weighed in at 258 before surgery. I would love to lose a little more than 100 lbs when it's all said and done. I need to get to around 140 to be at a normal BMI. But I am a large build and I don't want to look too skinny. Just healthy.

I am walking about 30 minutes per day already, but know that I am going to need to step that up in the next few weeks. Looking for a good gym and to purchase a treadmill for home.

I am finding myself a bit anxious. Worried that I will be one of those people who aren't successful at losing weight even after being banded. I haven't had much instruction as to what the dietary suggestions are for solid foods. Of course I'm lookin ahead, since I'm still on liquids. But just wondering - has anyone had any good instruction on what to expect after moving to solids. Any calorie guidelines? Or portion guidelines? I would like to research this beforehand so that I know I'm on the right track getting started.

Good luck to everyone! I would love to keep a support group of people who were banded in December 2010. Maybe we could help each other along!

Hi all...I was banded on 12/3/2010. I am not really having much pain anymore. Just having some pressure/tightness in my chest that comes and goes. Is anyone else experiencing this? I am hoping that it's normal. I also have a rash on my stomach - which the nurse at my Doctor's office thought was probably a reaction to the iodine used in surgery. I can feel my port - which causes me some discomfort especially at night when trying to sleep.

I have 100 pounds to lose. I am 5'2" and weighed in at 258 before surgery. I would love to lose a little more than 100 lbs when it's all said and done. I need to get to around 140 to be at a normal BMI. But I am a large build and I don't want to look too skinny. Just healthy.

I am walking about 30 minutes per day already, but know that I am going to need to step that up in the next few weeks. Looking for a good gym and to purchase a treadmill for home.

I am finding myself a bit anxious. Worried that I will be one of those people who aren't successful at losing weight even after being banded. I haven't had much instruction as to what the dietary suggestions are for solid foods. Of course I'm lookin ahead, since I'm still on liquids. But just wondering - has anyone had any good instruction on what to expect after moving to solids. Any calorie guidelines? Or portion guidelines? I would like to research this beforehand so that I know I'm on the right track getting started.

Good luck to everyone! I would love to keep a support group of people who were banded in December 2010. Maybe we could help each other along!

Hi sbarham,

I am a 12/3 banded, too! I think your chest tightness is normal, but I am not a dr. I still have some soreness in my shoulder joints that has been fading each day, but very slowly. Nothing I need meds for anymore. I have really had very little pain or problems since the surgery. Great job with the walking! I need to get busy! I work on a college campus and do some walking during the day, but need to do some fast paced walks when I get off work. I have just been so darn busy!

I have the same fears as you about not being able to lose the weight and being a "band failure"! I have about 95 lbs. to lose and am 5' 10", weighing in initially at 244. I need to be about 149-150. if that looks too thin, then I am fine with more. I am just trying to ward off the family history of diabetes.

I see my surgeon tomorrow and he has been very good with dietary support. There is a dietician at my disposal, classes for pre-op and post-op, support groups and a dietary manual. You can check out his site by googling Dr. Provost in Denton, TX. Highly recommend him! He trains bariatric surgeons all over the US and performs alot of revisions. Feel very fortunate to have him in our area. I hopefully will move to Stage 1-post op that is the liquids with the addition of 'mushy" foods, such as scrambled eggs, pureed meats and veggies and yogurt, especially Greek, (which is an acquired taste to say the least!) But, again, things that are high in Protein. Don't be afraid to ask your doc for written info! That's what he is there for! I am happy to scan and send you some of my stuff, but I don't want to go against what your dr. has in mind for you. Take control! That's what it's allabout now, sista! : )

Where do you live and what do you do? Happy to say in touch and support each other.

Oh, I have lost 13 lbs. so far since I started the liquid diet on 12/19. Drink lots of clear fluids! I got dehydrated yesterday. I was feeling clammy and very tired. My hubby is a veterinarian and "diagnosed" me. So, I started drinking Crystal Light hydrating drink mix and I feel better today. Later!