Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am binge eating again - scared that band slipped

I had my surgery October the 6th... Its been four weeks. I lost 24lbs in 4 weeks - awesome. I was very hungry the first week so my doctor put me on phentermine. Now I run out of phentermine and I am binge eating again. I am so scared and disappointed in myself.

First I felt tight - it felt like I thought it would feel with a band around the stomach. Now I do not feel like I have ever had the surgery. I am back to my normal "eat everything you see" routine.

I do not mean to. Its very hard like it was before to just stop.

I have not had my fill yet - it is not for another week but I am so scared that my band slipped or my upper stomach is enlarged. I shouldn't be able to eat chicken wings or sandwiches. It has only been going on since I run out of my phentermine - it is just the same as it used to be on this drug - loose a lot/gain it all back fast. Shouldn't I be full faster, unable to eat more that my new stomach is able to hold???

I am confused.

I heard that binge eating may cause the band to slip... Or is it just because I have not had my first fill yet???

It was a 26k surgery and I am really really really hoping that it is not going to become normal to me the way it is going now.

So, really, what is my question?! Am I able to eat anything I want because I have not had the fill yet or should I be worried about the slippage.

Oh, and I am scared that binge eating could have cause the band to slip.

Can that happen? Is that normal?

Is it normal to eat anything you want to as much as you want to before the fill?

I mean, I feel more restriction than before - I got stuck twice already... But, will it change with a fill? Or will I have to suffer the consequences of my old habits???

Thanks for your input. :sad::):hi:

Hi there. I am very new to this, banded Oct 19th and my first fill will be Nov 30th, but here's some information that my Dr and nutritionist gave me...Both said that at about week 5, I would feel like and probably could eat as I did before my surgery. They told me to call if I began to experience any problems at all with not being able to stick to my post-op diet. My advice would be to call your surgeon and tell them what is happening. I know I don't have much experience to be giving advice, but that's what I would do. Sending you big hugs and wishing you the very best.

So, really, what is my question?! Am I able to eat anything I want because I have not had the fill yet or should I be worried about the slippage.

Oh, and I am scared that binge eating could have cause the band to slip.

Can that happen? Is that normal?

While anything is possible, it's unlikely that you have caused a slip this early in the game.

Is it normal to eat anything you want to as much as you want to before the fill?

It's normal to have the ability to eat just as before surgery once the swelling has gone down. I wouldn't call it normal to DO so. :) You still need to control the amounts you eat as much as you can. It is not easy, this is why the period of time between when the swelling from surgery has receded and before you get enough fill to reduce your appetite is sometimes affectionately called "Bandster Hell".

Congratulations, you just reached another stage of band progress!

I mean, I feel more restriction than before - I got stuck twice already... But, will it change with a fill? Or will I have to suffer the consequences of my old habits???

If you're getting stuck already you still have some swelling. Slow down, smaller bites, chew very very well. Don't wait too long between meals so that you are so hungry you take your first bites too fast (first bite syndrome.. very common for new bandsters).

Now is a good time to start making new habits. Did your doctor give you any guidelines on how much to eat? If he/she didn't, a common amount is 3 to 4oz of Protein and 1/2 cup veggies 3x a day with small Protein Snacks in between if necessary.

Also drinking lots of Water (or other very low calorie fluids) will help keep the hunger at bay between meals. I'm not saying it will make it go away, but it will reduce it.

It will take a fill or two or three to reach appetite dimming. That is how the band works for many people. You should not rely on the band to restrict what you are able to eat.. I've always been able to eat bread ..I CHOOSE not to most of the time.

You will always, always be able to eat more. What you are aiming for is to eat a small amount and stay satisfied for a reasonable period of time.

Please call your bariatric professionals and ask for guidance. Does the practice you use have support group or nutritionist/dieticians that you can consult with?

Hang in there.. it will get easier once you start getting fills.

I had my surgery October the 6th... Its been four weeks.

First I felt tight - it felt like I thought it would feel with a band around the stomach. Now I do not feel like I have ever had the surgery. I am back to my normal "eat everything you see" routine.

I have not had my fill yet -

That band does not just magically impart weight loss genes into your body after surgery. It's just a piece of plastic until you start getting fills. Of course you can still eat anything you want. The only reason you felt tight originally was due to swelling.

I don't know what size band you have but if it's a realize band, you most likely won't get any real restriction until you're up around 8cc (in a 14cc band). Getting stuck does not equal restriction. It just means you aren't taking small enough bites or chewing well...or possibly it's just one of those foods that have difficulty due to texture (bread, melted cheese, etc.).

You should be eating portions you were instructed to eat. There is alot of self talk involved in being banded. I talk to myself everyday I tell myself that I can do this,I refuse to give in to my head hunger. You must be responsible for your intake not just flip back to who you once were,and expect that the BAND will NOT STOP you! It won't,you commit and understand that the band will help you only if you do your part. Things will improve as your restriction gets to the right setting ,but you must do the work.The Band is not the total or easiest answer, but its a big help.

You've sliped, like the rest of us its probally not your band slipping........

Hey Maria! I'm sorry to hear you're having such trouble, I was wondering how it was going with fellow band sister. I'm currently on my third week of mushies. Did your dr not make you go through this stage? I find that my hunger came back full force week 1 of the mushies stage, the swelling has definitely gone down and I'm back to feeling like I can eat anything and everything. But, I don't. What has helped for me has been measuring my food every night before I go to work. I have containers that I found at Wal-Mart that are 4 0z (1/2 cup) each. The nutritionist told me that I should only be eating up to 1 cup a meal so I measure 2 containers for Breakfast and lunch. For dinner I do the same, I cook something and measure it in my container and put it on my plate. It's been tough because I find myself hungry about 2-2.5 hrs after I eat but when I start feeling that way I drink Water. It's definitely a mind game, I constantly have to tell myself "you can do this, you'll get through this" and I move on. I also try to keep myself busy when I start thinking about food. We have practice some serious self control, but you can do it!

Just try and start off slow, try by measuring your food and eating slowly...and when you're done with it you're done. Get up and do something else and you'll feel satisfied enough to last you a while.

OH and I almost forgot don't forget the Protein shakes, they help a lot with the hunger in between meals.

If you ever need to talk or anything just message me...here for ya band-sister! :)

Vivian

I would seek counseling. You will harm ur stomach one day with the band on. I was required to do counseling before the band, and found that I was an emotional eater. Talking with someone helps.