Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can't eat much, need advice.

Banded 10/4/2010. No fill yet and have had just the right amount of restriction (sweet spot). Since starting my journey (started a diet day after lapband seminar. I have lost 60 lbs. thus far which is blowing my mind!) I am losing about 1 pound a week or more depending on amount of exercise. I am very pleased with the results and with the band. This surgery is the best thing I've done for myself!! Anyhow, all has been great except 3 days back and I cannot eat but maybe 1/4 cup of food or less per meal. I get very full and very quickly (actually feel stuffed!), then end up PB'ing. Today was the very worst of the 3 days! It's so bad that I could not eat 1 complete scrambled egg in the morning for Breakfast, very little for lunch (about 1 tablespoon cottage cheese and 1 tablespoon tuna salad and dinner was just a small piece of fish (about 1/2 square inch) and could not touch the green Beans. Had a pb after each meal today. What the heck is happening?

The most obvious potential problem can be eliminated immediately. I'm eating very slow and bites are about a pencil eraser size and I chew chew chew until babyfood consistancy. I'm sticking to soft foods and have not pushed this at all. Until these 3 days I was eating about 1/2 cup of food and no problems. I am satisfied without hunger for 4-6 hours, so I don't snack. I know this sounds like the ultimate deal, but, I'm a bit concerned.

I'm concerned that I am not getting enough nutrition. I'm having a small Protein shake at night just to be sure. I'm taking my chewable Vitamins faithfully. I'm also concerned with loosing weight too fast. Holy smokes I never thought I would be saying that!!!!!!!!!

My question to experienced bandsters out there. Should I be concerned? Is this a bump in the road and how can I get back on track to eating a little bit more? I've had no official first fill yet and have this much restriction. Is this Normal? Could it be that I'm one of the lucky ones that will not ever need a fill or could I still be swollen from surgery just about 1 month out? I feel great physically but a little concerned mentally.

BTW, I did talk to nurse today who tells me that this is all ok and could be that I'm drinking Water to close to mealtime, which could be true but this is not true today. Any advise would be appreciated. jake

Edited by jakealta

Don't know why the nurse would tell you that. Drinking would allow you to eat more not less. You may have some swelling or less likely your band has slipped. try going on liquids for a couple days and then slowly introducing soft foods back in.

It sounds like you have a bit of swelling, the first PB started it and every time you eat you are making it worse. I would suggest 2 or 3 days of liquids to calm everything down. I have a very sensitive stomach and this is what happens to me as well.

I'm with Leigha on this one. I tend to swell easily, too. Just do 2-3 days of liquids and I think you'll be fine. I can't imagine that you've slipped.

Don't worry about the drinking before meals. Even though my doctor doesn't routinely recommend it, it is something I need to do and he is ok with it. In general, drinking before eating allows you to eat more. For me, it just allows me to eat at all. Without a few swallows of Water just before I eat, I get stuck every time. It all just proves, we are all different in this process and we need to see what works.

Let us know how you are doing.

Cindy

Leigha is spot on and you have nothing to lose (except for a few more pounds:thumbup:) Take in some protien drinks at room temperature for a day or two and see if that might help. Keep your protien levels up as much as you can.

"Thank you" for the posts. I am a type of person that goes to the extreme and thinks the very worst right away. I am disappointed with the nurse practitioner at the clinic. I have called her before with other questions and she has not been very helpful. You have no idea how much I appreciate your input.

I started liquid Protein shakes today having one for Breakfast and one for lunch and will have Soup for supper. I feel much better today both emotionally and physically. I'm so appreciative of people that are willing to share your experiences to help me. God willing I will eventually be a person of support to others soon. Thanks again. jake

Jack said "No Bandster is yet on record as having starved to death." I got a chuckle out of this. You are absolutely correct! After so many years of cleaning the food off the plate of my first and second and sometimes third servings I now think I am going to starve to death. LOL N0T!!!!

Just wanted to share some info for anyone with stomach swelling. I read that Aloe Vera juice has healing value to the stomach along to the digestive system. Well, along with the 3 day liquid diet I used the Aloe Vera juice which I thought made things feel better. If anyone else tries this let know if it helps. May be all in my mind. Jake

You are doing amazing!! My daughter, who is a natural med buff, said that aloe vera is a good laxative, too, so it should help keep you regular.

Sounds like swelling to me too. Last week, I had the same problem eating and drinking and I would pb after everything I ate of drank. My nurse said I should do two days of warm liquids, and that helped TREMENDOUSLY. I still think my band is too tight and am going for a slight unfill today, but the heartburn has gone down so much! YAY!

You all were right on. After these few days of liquids I was able to eat a bandster meal consisting of 4 vienna sausages, a little green chile stew and some some lentil Beans for supper tonight. I know, what a combo huh? lol I'm back to normal!!!!! I was able to hold everything down totaling about 1/2 cup worth and very satisfied without feeling sick. I plan on still taking it a bit easy tomorrow just to be on the safe side . Once again Thanks to you all for the input. I now know that I have a sensitive stomach as some of you and will have to be cautious with what and how I eat. Thank you all again! Jake

Aloe Vera juice huh? I just joined this site today. I need some input. I was banded on 6/10/10, with a 10cc band. I had no restriction after surgery. Very little after the first fill of 4ccs on 7/22/10. On 9/1/10 I had my second fill, 2.5ccs, which was somewhat restrictive. I consistently lost weight.

My goal was between 3 to 4 pounds a week. As of last Wednesday, I had lost about 45 pounds total since surgery. Well, I had my third fill on Wednesday, 1cc, for a total of 7.5 ccs, and I can barely keep anything down; not even Water. I've tried warm, cold, and frozen stuff etc.

Some must be getting absorbed as I haven't gone to the ER yet for an IV, but I can't imagine how. Finally, today on a whim, I tried a cheese puff. After it stayed down for a while, I ate a few more. Mind you, I know this isn't healthy, but it's truly the only thing that hasn't come back up. The sips of water that I had after the puffs came up, but not them. What's the deal? I think I'm swollen, but have had NO issues since surgery. Any ideas? I want to try the aloe vera that Jake recommended, but how does it smell and taste, that might be an issue in itself!

I am so weak, exhausted, and frustrated. At this point, I don't even care about food, I just want to guzzle a huge bottle of water. LOL, I know that is impossible post op.

Go have .5 of the fill taken out. The more dehydrated you get the more they will have to take out to make it better. Don't wait, being too tight is a major cause of complications.

Thanks so much! I'm going to hang in there for another week before making a decision. Today seems to be a little better. :)

Aloe Vera juice huh? I just joined this site today. I need some input. I was banded on 6/10/10, with a 10cc band. I had no restriction after surgery. Very little after the first fill of 4ccs on 7/22/10. On 9/1/10 I had my second fill, 2.5ccs, which was somewhat restrictive. I consistently lost weight.

My goal was between 3 to 4 pounds a week. As of last Wednesday, I had lost about 45 pounds total since surgery. Well, I had my third fill on Wednesday, 1cc, for a total of 7.5 ccs, and I can barely keep anything down; not even Water. I've tried warm, cold, and frozen stuff etc.

Some must be getting absorbed as I haven't gone to the ER yet for an IV, but I can't imagine how. Finally, today on a whim, I tried a cheese puff. After it stayed down for a while, I ate a few more. Mind you, I know this isn't healthy, but it's truly the only thing that hasn't come back up. The sips of Water that I had after the puffs came up, but not them. What's the deal? I think I'm swollen, but have had NO issues since surgery. Any ideas? I want to try the aloe vera that Jake recommended, but how does it smell and taste, that might be an issue in itself!

I am so weak, exhausted, and frustrated. At this point, I don't even care about food, I just want to guzzle a huge bottle of water. LOL, I know that is impossible post op.

I went for a slight unfill and I feel 200% better! I too was living on cheetos, as they seemed the only thing that would stay down! I joked with the nurse that I wanted a total unfill for about 5 minutes so I too could down a gallon bottle of water! I was sooooooooo thirsty! Dont wait. Get some taken out asap! Even a little makes a BIG difference! :)