Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Warning for new bandsters - personal experience!

Hey guys, just wanted to share this experience to maybe help save someone out there the anguish I went through!

So, I went to a restaurant this weekend for the first time since surgery. We had spent the day Christmas shopping...building up quite a hunger I must add. The family chose Cracker Barrel for dinner because they are known to have Soups, applesauce, and cottage cheese - you know, things I can have. Well, after waiting almost an hour for our table, we find out that they only had chili (yikes!), don't serve cottage cheese, and I was afraid to put applesauce in my tummy (it makes the runs even runnier in my case)! I was already struggling with the visions of people stuffing their faces with all that yummy food - everywhere I looked there was something I will never eat again being shoved into the pie-hole of someone who obviously didn't want it as badly as I did! Adding to that was the fact that I could not have anything there but Water - the next thing I know the tears come streaming. How utterly embarassing!! I was completely horrified with myself, how could I be so upset over something so stupid!?!? Well, no matter how hard I tried to chill myself out, the tears just would not stop! I excused myself from the table (did I mention that my MIL had been staying with us for the past week, and was heading home the next morning? ... ah, that's a whole other story), went out to the car, sat there and cried until I was almost sick! I had NO idea food had such a hold on me! Point of this story - next time I go to a restaurant, I will be certain I am mentally ready to face all of my issues head-on!

Anyway, I hope everyone out there is doing well. I hope you are all finished with your holiday shopping, and I pray for continued wellness for all of us here!!!

~cheri

Cheri,

I checked to see when you had your surgery....looks like 12/5, so you are still in the first 6 weeks and experiencing tons of new feelings, eating only certain foods (probably just into the mushies), and you're still healing. With that said, let me tell you things get MUCH BETTER!!!! You will be able to eat most anything again...no, you will not be stuffing your face like most people eating at Cracker Barrel, but you will be able to order just about anything and enjoy it (and enjoy it again with your leftovers).

What happened this weekend is nothing to feel bad about, Cheri....trust me as time goes on when you find yourself crying it will probably be tears of joy as you adapt to your band and all the wonderful SV's and NSV's you'll experience!!!

Oh, Cheri, my heart goes out to you. :) How hard that must have been!

I still haven't been to a Cracker Barrel since banding because I know the only thing that restaurant really has going for it is stick-to-your-ribs FILLING food. I don't eat that way anymore, period, so I can't go there. But you will find new frontiers in restaurants and be able to enjoy eating out again, and even more so because you'll order things and eat them for days.

Hugs!! You'll be fine, though it's not easy, we know.

I'm so sorry you had to go through that. For future refrences a baked potatoes or mashed potatoes with a side of sour cream. Fat free of course to move around on the plate is an idea. Maybe a slushy drink. You mean they don't have Soup?

I have gone to Cracker Barrel several times...I had a salad, and I've had a couple of the child's plates. I haven't had any trouble...I think you are just in the "new phase." We all have lots of issues around food; maybe you'll feel better now that you've let out some of your emotion. Good luck, Cindy

Doesn't it suck when we finally come to that realization and have to deal with it? My heart definately feels for you, as I remember going through it myself. Mine came out in fits of anger, and then the tears. (During liquid phase)

I hope that things get better for you soon.

Hugs, ~Kel

Oh Cheri, **HUG**

Trust me, you'll be able to eat again and enjoy the fact that you can eat what you like in small portions, its a great feeling of control.

Give yourself some time and don't be so hard on yourself. HUGS !!!!

Oh Cheri,

I am sorry this happened to you. It reminds me of the time I was 2 months out of surgery, and my family goes out to eat at the Old Country Buffet. Well, I was looking across the table at my husband and kids eating fried chicken/fries and basically anything fried and all I could have was mashed potatoes and creamed spinach !!! I cried right then and there ! Believe, me it will get eaisier, and you will be able to eat almost anything, just in smaller portions. hang in there...

It breaks my heart to think of you crying alone in the car. That happened to me the day I cut my hair short. I asked the guy to leave my length, but he decided I'd look cute in a bob without even asking my permission. At 313 pounds, I looked like a fat bulldog with no hair and just went to my car and cried. But guess what, as it dried, it started looking bouncy and cute. By the time it was all dry, I loved it. That's how it's going to be once you lose some weight. Suddenly the sun will shine and you'll stop crying alone in the car. Hang in there. And for the record, there's no reason for you to go to The Melting Pot, either!

Gosh,

I hate this! ((hugs)) like Delarla said, the worst part was feeling isolated!

Cracker Barrel is one of our fav's places to eat - I cant believe they didnt have their wonderful tortillia Soup? or what about mashed potato's? or blackened fish?

please dont let this experience discourage you from going back to this place. They really DO have a decent selection for us to chose from. honesly!

Its gonna get easier - we promise! :(

Speaking of Cracker Barrell, have you guys, (don't look Cheri), tried that Christmas Santa salad with all those mandarin oranges, chicken and special dressing, OMG, Yummmmm.

Hugs Cheri, it does get better, MUCH BETTER! Like I said on another thread earlier, I went through the OMG, what have I done stage too. Even now, I get aggrivated because I want something different and then it won't stay down, but I'm so much happier than I was a year ago. My how the first year flies by.

Thanks thanks thanks!

I thought about y'all while I was in the car, and how i wanted to be at home sharing my story with you! My poor hubby didn't know what to think, he is still on pins and needles - haha!

I am on mushies now (sort of, I'm still afraid to try much bulk) I found that a little sugar-free chocolate Syrup really helps the taste of the Protein shakes (is that okay?), and I have discoverd that potato Soup is delicious and filling - Woo Hoo!

I am starting my exercise today, well, walking for exercise, not shopping anyway!! My YMCA membership is getting a little dusty after all!!

Thanks again for all of your support - you guys sure have made this new life a whole lot easier to bear!!!!

Merry Christmas!

{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}

~cheri

I know this was a difficult thing to experience, I am certain I will experience something similar after my banding but, I had to laugh at the irony of this thread. You see, Ive been on the liver shrinking diet for the past week to prepare for the surgery (one week from today) and have been desperately craving Cracker Barrel's roast beef dinner! I had planned to have it prior to the beginning of my current diet but didn't get to it. My wonderful husband kept talking me out of it. I swear sometimes I can smell it cooking.. its driving me nuts! *laughs* How do you think pureed fried ocra, mashed potatoes and roast beef will taste? *laughs*

*stops laughing* Ok, I'm nervous! But you people are wonderful. Thanks for all of your encouraging tales. I am really looking forward to this journey. The good and the bad, because... baby, I know where I'm headed! *big smile*

Hang in there Cheri :P

It would probably taste great, lol. I had pureed turkey and roast veg for Christmas dinner!

It will get better! I have to go to a yum cha in 3 weeks, 2 days after my first fill and I'm very nervous about that. I bet I'll be drinking coffee while everyone else eats.