Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What can you eat befor a fill?

I will be having my 1st fill tomorrow (yippie) and was told not to eat. I was wondering if I could at least have a Protein Shake or something like that does anyone know what the guideline is for fills???

Gosh, I've never had any rules for before a fill.

I'd be strongly tempted to do a Protein shake first thing in the morning. But then again, your doctor ordered you to be on an empty stomach. He must have a reason for it...wah.

Is your fill in the morning?

Around 11am is my fill time...Hope I dont feel too hungry...

I was reading some papers that my doctor sent me and it says to not EAT 7 hours before a fill and only Clear liquids for 24hours after fills. I read on here that some people have to do Clear Liquids then full liquids then mushies then reg food.

Is that normal for all after a band or just what the Doctor ordered. Mine said clear fluids for 24 hours so does that mean I can go back to normal food after 24hours??

Edited by zeniada

I think all doctors are different, but I know that I am allowed only Protein Shakes and broth the day of a fill. They will not fill you if you had any solids at all that day.

I have my first fill tomorrow as well and just like the post op diet, it appears that different surgeons have different rules. I was told I could eat prior to the fill, but only clear liquids for 24 hours after the fill, then slowly re-incorporate regular foods as tolerated. I'm excited and ready because the last week has been nothing but pure willpower!

I got my first fill 2 weeks ago-4cc. I was told nothing to eat or drink two hours before and only fluids for 24 hours after. I did fluids 48 after though just to be careful. I have no restriction except if I eat bread which I did one time and got "stuck" for a bit. Cannot have another fill until November 17th:cursing:

I got my first fill 2 weeks ago-4cc. I was told nothing to eat or drink two hours before and only fluids for 24 hours after. I did fluids 48 after though just to be careful. I have no restriction except if I eat bread which I did one time and got "stuck" for a bit. Cannot have another fill until November 17th:cursing:

Hey you where have you been...hope your well I have been wondering about my fellow Aug. bandsters....:)

I don't understand why some doctor's make you wait a long time between fills. I had a fill on the 13th, but it wasn't enough so I'm getting another one tomorrow. My doctor wants me to get to the right adjustment as quickly as possible.

I don't understand why some doctor's make you wait a long time between fills. I had a fill on the 13th, but it wasn't enough so I'm getting another one tomorrow. My doctor wants me to get to the right adjustment as quickly as possible.

I know right...I was reading where some Sept. Bandsters were already getting fills! I had to wait 6-8 weeks before my doc would even consider a fill, then I have to wait another 6-8 weeks in between fills! I sure wish all doctors would get together and make solid guidelines for this kind of stuff. sure is furstrating! :)

I nearly had my first fill 2 days ago but doc couldn't access the port as it was surrounded by Fluid that he removed (20mls clear yellow fluid). Any way he didn't ask about what or when i had eaten. I now have to wait till November till i get a fill under xray as the doc is going away. He specifically said i don't have to fast.

Zeniada - good luck with your fill.

Edited by JanB23

My doctor's reasoning is that fills can take up to 2 weeks and sometimes even longer to have an effect. That's why he will only allow fills every 4 weeks.

We're also not allowed fills any closer than 2 weeks before planned travel.

I had to wait 6-8 weeks before my doc would even consider a fill [/Quote]

I'm pretty sure that the 6 weeks after surgery to first fill is on the recommendation of the band manufacturer. This is to allow the band to "seat" itself well.

I have no idea why some surgeons "jump the gun". Personally, while I agree it's frustrating to have to wait, I'm glad to have a doctor who is moderately conservative.

Regarding the original question, I expect you could have liquids up to an hour or so before the fill, but you should call your doctor's office and make sure. I'd hate for you to arrive and find that you can't have a fill (or not the right amount that you need) because of misinformation.

My fills are often in the early afternoon. I eat a normal or light Breakfast, depending on whether I'm working out that day, then just drink Water up until an hour before my fill.

After a fill, I'm advised liquids (any kind) the rest of the day, mushies or soft foods that evening and progress to solid foods as tolerated. Any stuck feeling or pb'ing means to go back to liquids and start over. repeated throwing up means to go back and get the fill taken back out.

Remember my doctor is on the conservative side and I've always gotten small fills (largest was the first and only 1cc) and they work for me. YMMV!!

Edited by Melissannde
additional info

My Dr stated that ...fills less than a month apart from each other can lead to a emergency unfill due to the fact that you can feel restriction up to two weeks after a fill.