Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My doctor put me on a strict Protein shake diet, but I hate the way the stuff tastes and I have a serious aversion to milk products. I tried something tonight that I actually liked, so I thought I'd share it with anyone who is in my boat.

I bought the chocolate Protein powder, mixed it with a cup of cold Water and a packet of fat free, sugar free swiss miss hot chocolate mix in the blender. After mixing, I heat it up, and it tasted just like hot chocolate. I had it down in less than 5 minutes.

If you have any other ideas to make these shakes more bearable, please post them!:smile:

Well strict certainly doesn't include the hot chocolate SUGAR packet. The flavor of most Protein powders are chalky and you will get used to them when you find the right one. I suggest going to GNC and trying their powders and if you don't like them they will give you ur money back or exchange the unused product. I like Cookies n cream, vanilla, strawberry,banana cream. I got the AMP 60 grams of protein per serving. This one helps with after workout recovery. May also be used as a meal suppliment in the morning and before or after work outs up 2 3 times per day. Then when you mix ur shake try using apple juice insead of Water, or Vanilla soy milk(lactose free) you will be surprised the soy milk is sweet! Good luck, stay away from sugars. Let me know how it works for you?

I used the GNC AMP protien powder too, but only use one scoop instead of the 3 scoop serving size. I also discovered Almond Milk... great stuff. I used the vanilla flavor add too it... for chocolate, it's no-sugar add NesQuick. Made a protien shake tonight with the powder, NesQuick and 1 teaspoon of Peanut Butter. Great Stuff, and is about 195 calories and 22 grams protien. I've mixed it a couple of pineapple chunks with the plain vanilla powder and it was really good too.

I like the Jay Robb shakes and thet have I believe 25 grams of Proteins and no chemicals it is sweetened with stevia and I think tastes better than some of the others that I could not stomache. I like the carnation instant Breakfast but is is low on the Protein end for a shake

If it is the fat free sugar free packet then it wasn't completely bad :smile:

I use a tbs of sugar free pudding mix to add to my Protein shakes (I like herbalife) and add extra flavorless Protein Powder ---- my favorite is to do choc shake mix and add a tbs of PB2 (powdered peanut butter) or lotfat Peanut Butter - then 6 oz skim milk and about 6 oz ice...makes a yummy thick Peanut Butter chocolately shake with lotsa protein!! :(

Your best bet is to be creative....there are tons of yummy sugar free pudding mixes and it only takes 1 tbs to a shake to add great flavoring...I like the cheesecake pudding with choc shakes, too.

These are such great ideas!! Thanks for starting this thread! I would love to try the hot chocolate idea!! I wonder if that would be okay for my pre-op. My diet is not a strict Protein Shake diet, but rather just a liquid diet.< /p>

I'm liking the unjury chocolate Protein shakes quite a bit. If you go to their website, www.unjury.com, you can order sample size packets of their flavors. In addition to two kinds of chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, and unflavored, they also have a chicken Soup flavor. Nice variety.

I find they go down very easily, if I put in ice cubes and fat free milk, then run it through the Magic Bullet blender. If ice cold, it's really very good.

Dave

Edited by Dave_NW

Hi! I'm 10 days into a pre-op liquid diet, so choosing a Protein that was good was very important. I was told from my nutritionist that the TYPE of Protein is of utmost importance. whey protein ISOLATE is what is best for those with bands. From what I remember, if you read the ingredients on the muscle milk package, it includes OILS. That was enough to gross me out. Nutritionist strongly advised against, but that was my experience, yours may say otherwise.

There's a mom-and-pop GNC-type store near the doctors office that gives patients 10% off for life, since we're going to be on a shake a day forever. They let me try a bunch of flavors before committing to purchase the giant tub of powders. I ended up with Syntrax nectar in Cappuccino, Iso-100 in Gourmet chocolate, and IsoFlex in chocolate Peanut Butter. I also bought a bunch of single serve packets in flavors like lemonade, cherry, pina colada, dreamsicle. Jay Robb powders are chunky, no matter what I did to them.

I like to combine a scoop of Cappucino with a half scoop of chocolate, and it tastes like a mocha frapp. Low cal, NO SUGAR, and I'm pretty sure no carbs.

I also mix it up between using Skim Plus milk (tastes like 2%) and vanilla Silk (soy milk)

Everyone's tastes are different, I only liked unjury's chocolate, the rest nauseated me.

Good luck to you!

I'm using Almond Milk to make my Protein Shakes. That stuff is great!:blushing:

I also use Unjury. I have the Classic chocolate. I actually love this stuff. I bought lots of different extracts like almond, coconut, cherry, orange, peppermint, strawberry. After the Unjury is mixed I add a few drops of the extract in it and mix again. It's so good and with the flavors ever changing, I haven't gotten bored yet. But I don't think I can ever have too much chocolate :blushing:. My favorite is to add the almont extract and then add some cinnamon. It is soooo good. With Unjury you have to make sure it's mixed well so there's no power clumps. I haven't tried any other brands, but haven't felt a need to.

I had Slim Quick but they told me it has to be low carb

Hi I'm on day 8 of solely shakes. I use the Bariatric Advantage. I have banana and add a couple drops of coconut flavoring. Its like a pina colada. Yummy

Hi I'm on day 8 of solely shakes. I use the Bariatric Advantage. I have banana and add a couple drops of coconut flavoring. Its like a pina colada. Yummy

I start tomorrow with Bariatric Advantage. I bought Unflavored and Flavored. I definitely plan on drinking Pina Colada Protein Shakes... i bought some pineapple Chunks and Coconut extract...:)

I can't stomach another sip of Protein Shakes. Once a day, fine. But 4? Ugh. I bought a bunch of sugar free flavoring syrups from davinci gourmet. Got pumpkin pie, pankcake, irish cream, egg nog, and vanilla. Soooo yummy. Got the vanilla to use in teas, not in shakes though. The pancake especially is fab in the AM, it's like a liquid buttery waffle. YUM!