Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 week post op MISERABLE and I want out

What does PB mean?

You are all scaring me!! Wow this thread is discouraging. I am going to be banded on October 14 and I have done tons of research but I am still very confused. I am getting MANY mixed messages. I was told no alcohol and have read several posts of people drinking to excess on the weekends. Huh?? Did I miss something here? Also, I was told that small pills and supplements would be fine and I am reading that everything must be liquid? ? Reading also about folks eating all the wrong stuff when I thought that all the wrong stuff is supposed to make me sick?? I really want this to work but some of the stuff on these forums is discouraging :-(. Also the mixed messages are confusing me to the max! HELP

Edited by missmuffett
mis spelled

You are all scaring me!! Wow this thread is discouraging. I am going to be banded on October 14 and I have done tons of research but I am still very confused. I am getting MANY mixed messages. I was told no alcohol and have read several posts of people drinking to excess on the weekends. Huh?? Did I miss something here? Also, I was told that small pills and supplements would be fine and I am reading that everything must be liquid?? Reading also about folks eating all the wrong stuff when I thought that all the wrong stuff is supposed to make me sick?? I really want this to work but some of the stuff on these forums is discouraging :-(. Also the mixed messages are confusing me to the max! HELP

I drink to excess every so often. I wouldn't recommend it but I did verify with my surgeon prior to surgery that drinking alcohol would be ok. If he said no, I would have either not had surgery or found a surgeon with a different answer.

I take 7 pills every morning and 3 every night and have not had one get stuck yet in the 7 months since surgery.

There is NO wrong stuff for everyone. I have no problem eating anything except soft corn tortillas. It all depends on the person, how tight their band is and if they chew enough.

If it is a capsule, you can break it open and sprinkle it on a small spoon of applesauce accordig to most docctors- as long as you can swallow it down quickly, before the med dissolves since it is time released. But I always say call the doctor or pharmacist to make sure...just to be on the safe side. Always error on the side of caution.

But a warm drink should help move it on down to your new tummy.

I was told to do this but I couldn't. It tasted way too nasty. I'd call your doc for an alternative medicine.

You are all scaring me!! Wow this thread is discouraging. I am going to be banded on October 14 and I have done tons of research but I am still very confused. I am getting MANY mixed messages. I was told no alcohol and have read several posts of people drinking to excess on the weekends. Huh?? Did I miss something here? Also, I was told that small pills and supplements would be fine and I am reading that everything must be liquid?? Reading also about folks eating all the wrong stuff when I thought that all the wrong stuff is supposed to make me sick?? I really want this to work but some of the stuff on these forums is discouraging :-(. Also the mixed messages are confusing me to the max! HELP

First you must understand EVERY surgeon has his OWN rules. Mine is fine with me having coffee, drinking occasionally and eating whatever I want as long as I get my Protein in. I can take pills with no problems.

I had no pain with my surgery other than gas pain. It was like a non event for me. The second day after I was banded I did stuck on a small capsule but warm Water washed it right down. I haven't had any issues since then.

I have banded friends who are at their goal weight now who also drink COKES and they use straws with them. They also eat diets of junk. They don't get sick at all but IMO they aren't treating their bodies right.

I do not regret having this done at all. I'd do it again if need be.

I will say though for me as far as pain goes the only thing's I've ever need pain meds for was during labor- none afterwards and after having knee surgery.

I've had 6 other surgeries including a gallbladder removal and a hysterectomy with no pain at all. When I told the pre op nurse that while she was getting me ready for my Lap Band surgery she told me I'd do fine then and wouldn't have pain or need pain meds.

Tomorrow it will be one week since I had my band on. The first two days I was terribly depressed and was regretting my decision. But each day I'm feeling better, although sometimes the hunger pains make it difficult. I've been ready a lot of the posts on this site and it has been very helpful to me both physically in the learning process and mentally because I don't have much support from my husband. My daughters keep me going. I'm wondering if my first fill will be as bad as some of the people say on here. I sure hope not.

Oh you guys are scareing me I am having surgery in 5 days and I do not like hearing horror stories. I hope you are feeling better do tell how you are feeling now. Nervous and need to be set at ease :<

Good luck to you! I am feeling much better! I am back at school and work. Before putting my band in my doctor runs a blue liquid through it to make sure it does not have any leaks. In this process sometimes some of the Fluid stays in there, which is what happened in my case. I was too tight and it was really uncomfortable. I went in and they ended up taking the liquid out and the next morning I honestly woke up feeling like a completely different person. Good luck to you :]

Tomorrow it will be one week since I had my band on. The first two days I was terribly depressed and was regretting my decision. But each day I'm feeling better, although sometimes the hunger pains make it difficult. I've been ready a lot of the posts on this site and it has been very helpful to me both physically in the learning process and mentally because I don't have much support from my husband. My daughters keep me going. I'm wondering if my first fill will be as bad as some of the people say on here. I sure hope not.

we're all here in the same boat and here for support and encouragement :] i am sorry to hear your husband isn't as supportive as maybe you would like him to be, but you have us! :] When I went in on Tuesday to have an un-fill they did the same thing as a fill (but obviously taking liquid out rather than putting it in) It was no where near as bad as I thought. I am still very sore but I would say it "hurt" for two seconds if that. The rest of it as fine. More of a pinch. Good luck to you :]

Good luck to you! I am feeling much better! I am back at school and work. Before putting my band in my doctor runs a blue liquid through it to make sure it does not have any leaks. In this process sometimes some of the Fluid stays in there, which is what happened in my case. I was too tight and it was really uncomfortable. I went in and they ended up taking the liquid out and the next morning I honestly woke up feeling like a completely different person. Good luck to you :]

I'm glad to hear your feeling better!!!

My suggestion would be to follow your surgeons instructions as far as eating and drinking.

My surgeon feels that a non-carbonated alcoholic beverage, on occasion, is fine, but does not recommend it on a regular basis for obvious reasons. Alcohol is addictive and it's unhealthy and unwise to drink to excess. Our limited space is better used for healthy, nutrient rich foods.

Whether or not you'll be able to take pills after banding is fairly individualized. Some of us can, others can't. You'll just have to wait to see how you do and make a determination from there. Some of us, like myself, take chewables and liquids when we can as a precaution. I'm lucky enough that I don't have to take prescribed meds so I can get all of my Vitamins and otc pain reliever in chewables.

Foods that may get stuck or cause you to slime or pb, again, are very individualized. Much of this is going to be trial and error. What may work for us now may not work later. And vice versa. After the liquid and mushy diet my Dr. suggests that we eat whatever our bands will allow at any given time. (obviously he isn't talking about junk foods) He stresses that what may not work now may work later so always go back and revisit later those foods that are giving us trouble now.

Don't let these posts scare you. We all have our own experiences and not all are horrible. Some, like the original poster, will have a difficult recovery while others, like myself, experienced absolutely no pain following surgery. I'm two weeks out and feel great.

Again, if you've done your homework and trust your surgeon, just follow his instructions and you should be fine.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

I'm so happy to hear that.

Thanks everyone.......I am feeling better about my decision! Pat

I think the point Manda was making was that a woman who went through childbirth and experienced the same pain as someone who got banded wouldn't turn around and want to give back her baby just because of the pain and discomfort, no matter HOW extreme it was. Being banded is almost like giving birth to a new you and a new life and no matter how severe the pain is you WILL survive and you WILL lose weight and acheive your goals. Just keep beleiving that.

Just my $.02

HALLELUJAH! (Pretend to hear angels singing) I'm glad to see that a couple of people got it. Getting the band was the worse pain that I've been in. It was soooo worth it though. I couldn't have lost 67 pounds by myself. Plus, why would you want to go through another surgery to get it removed?

...... somtimes I wonder how some people pass the psych evaluation.

Girl.......................don't give up so quick,this is a life change not an expresslane..............