Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting to regret my decision...

I am sorry to hear that so many of you lived post op nightmares in the days after their surgeries. I hope you all feel better soon. I have been banded well over a year and the only pain I remember is the gas pain that was in my left shoulder. It was awful and no amount of pain meds would make it go away. The heating pad they gave me at the hospital helped best. I did not know it was gas (and the nurse didn't mention that it was gas pain either) until I read about it on this forum. I have a bad back (surgery in 2004) and spinal stenosis so I thought the docs had left me on my side at some point during surgery and that was the source of my pain. Alas, it was just gas. Anyway I did not suffer much after surgery -- I took my pain meds religiously ... LOL That may be why I didn't feel miserable or depressed or anything like that.

Now, as for the scars, many of you will see your scars fade over time -- mine will never fade. They protrude and will always protrude because I keloid (overgrowth of granulation tissue). My scars are dark and one is about an 1 1/4 inch -- not pretty. But, I am okay with that because last week when I dropped my car off at the dealership for a detailing I WALKED 2 miles to the beach, sat for a little bit admiring the beautiful day and the incredibly blue ocean and then walked back to the dealership. Before this surgery and weight loss that would have been IMPOSSIBLE for me. With the weight I was carrying my back would have never allowed my legs to carry me on such a journey. So, I will live with the scars forever, I don't mind. Your scars will likely fade with time and I am so happy for you. Be kind to yourself and take your meds -- they should take the edge off ... LOL Barring any complications, it is going to get so much better.

As many others have said this particular pain will be a distant memory in the not-to-distant future. Hang in there and please know that the lapband comes with challenges, we have all been there and the people on this forum will help you get through them all. This is a great place for information and understanding.

All the best to you on your journey.

oh you poor thing!! I know how you feel as I am 4 days post op and yesterday was my worst day. I had the same "what have I done" thoughts, but after sleeping well last night (after taking some pain med) woke up a different person. If you feel concerned though, ring your doctor, you alone know your body and how much you can stand.

I also felt feverish and could only sip, but today feel like a million dollars, I have done house work and looked after the kids but have sit down every now and then.

The other thing that makes me feel great is that I am 5.5kg lighter (10lb) and feel so different already. I have used a lot of alternative remedies too(I am a bit of a hippy chick).

Arnica cream around the incisions(not on the wounds) and the spray under my tongue which all helps with bruising and and inflammation and also a powder probiotic in my Water to get the good bacteria back into my stomach to help with the acidity. Also "rescue remedy" which is a flower essence to help the shock of surgery and some liquid zeolite which gets all of the anasthetic and drugs out of your system quickly. It is just a help, I think to give the body a helping hand. I know this sounds a little out there as well, but I have been doing some visualizations (of me slim and trim) and it makes me not want to give up.

Hugs to you and I hope you start to feel better:heart:

I am PRE-OP and please don't misunderstand my post. I am not commenting on how you tolerate pain. I am sure you are in pain and I have read hundreds of posts that talk about the pain people experience after the surgery. I don't doubt you are in pain. I am just saying that I feel that ANY pain is worth the long term gain we will all receive from this surgery. I apologize if you took my comments the wrong way. I am gearing myself up for the pain but as you said, I can't judge how anyone else feels.

The BIG caution is that pain is a 'gift' in that it tells us that something is wrong and that we need to keep a checklist of what we need to keep an eye on. ie Is the area of my port inflamed? Is the pain easing day by day or getting worse? Am I able to keep up my Fluid intake to at least one litre a day? Am I running a temperature? If you're answering yes to any of these you should be calling your doc. Infection is a very real danger so 'toughing it out' can be disasterous!!!!!!! This is why we have this forum so we can all feel safe, be truthful about our struggles and not compare with one another. I think we also need to show some grace towards Herraven who is PRE OP and trying to keep up a positive attitude as it can be totally unnerving when you read negative things. Suggest Herraven that as a PRE OP person, you focus on the positives till you've had your banding. Wishing you a successful banding as you start your new life.

I had my surgery on the 23rd and was put back I the hospital on 29th due to being dehydrated & keeping nothing down. I was in horrible pain! But I feel much better now. Do call your doctor!

I had my surgery on Thursday September 16 and the Wednesday after I sat down and told my mom that I think I messed up and made a mistake. The first week was really hard and being home alone is hard as well for me because I used to eat a lot during that time. It is getting better though over time. Support systems are the best, without my mom I would have probably gone insane by now! Keep your head up!

Herraven -

When you call the doc's office, ask if they put any Fluid in your band during surgery. Some physicians "prime" the band and leave a few cc's in. If he/she did, then see if it's possible to have a little taken out.

It is VERY important for you to stay hydrated. Dehydration can make the band tighter! The pain will go away, the scars (for most) will fade...this is the time for healing. What you are experiencing emotionally is very common.

If at all possible, keep trying to get fluids in. Try warm fluids which helps some to "open up" the band.

And keep us posted. Everyone's journey is different as well as their post-op experience. Be persistent with your doctor's office. They should be concerned about the lack of fluids you are able to tolerate.

Update from a 9/30 surgery...I also had my surgery on 9/30/10 and was feeling all the same things...what the heck was I thinking??? But today I feel much better! My scars are healing well, I feel just a little soar and my attitude has done a 360 change from the depression I had for the past few days since the surgery. Tomorrow I have my follow up with my surgeon and I hope he confirms that everything is healing well. I'm ready to start this new journey and soooo glad I'm finally on my way! The pain is worth it, I know it will be!

I had my surgery Sept 30. They said everything went great. Since I've been home I can barely get any fluids in me. Im suppose to have 1 oz of Water every waking hour. I can get maybe a total of 11oz of Fluid in me a day. I'm suppose to have my Protein Shake, my clear broth and water. I take a few sips of Protein shake and I'm done same with the broth. When I take a deep breath I have a sharp pain on my side when I breathe deeply and I feel like I always have a lump in my throat. I have a pain in my neck that won't go away. I always feel hot and clammy. Last night I tossed and turned so much I was waking up every 1Hr or so. I already have a bad back, so from all the tossing and turning I now have horrible lower back pain. And to make matters worse... I am completely starving myself. I could of been cruel to myself and starved myself without surgery. I want it out!!!!!!! I am sooo miserable!!!

Trust me it will get better. I was banded on 9/2/10 (Thursday) and the next day (Friday) before leaving the hospital I couldn't get any fluid in. Doctor came in and took out some of the original fluid that was in the band he put in. Helped, but had to get 8 ounces in within two hours. Monday tried Jello, got sick as a dog, wouldn't drink or eat on Tuesday, Wednesday went in to doctor, he again took some more fluid out of band and pronounced that I was dehydrated because I wouldn't drink. Back in the hospital for fluids. I promise you it will pass. After the initial swelling goes down, you will feel much better, I swear. I'm one month, two days out and I feel great. Down 32.5 lbs, am walking, doing well. Hang in there.

Don't regret your decision, I am 3 years out and am a totally changed person. I lost and have kept off over 120 pounds, look younger, feel younger, people can't believe the changes.

it is worth it, it is rough at first getting used to everything, but if you look at it in the positive it will get easier. Just listen to your body, if it hurts to drink Water you need to talk to your doctor, you have to be patient with everything even Water. take a few sips, not gulps, it is easier that way. when you start eating, only take super small bites, eat a few bites and sit back and see how you feel. Honestly, they say eat in 20 minutes, it takes me almost 20 minutes to start getting the food in - I listen to my body and it works, it is great and you will love your new life, just go with the changes, you will NEVER eat the same again, go slow!

Ok....so after calling my dr office and yelling, crying and pleaing with them this is what they told me: take my pain meds regularly and I can take up to 4000 mg of tylenol. Heating pad for my shoulder, and the sharp pain in my side they said it is the swelling still. I told them I'm STILL unable to get enough Fluid down all they said was keep trying and if my urine gets a dark yellow or orange that means I'm dehydrated and to call them that they will have me come in for fluids. The huge lump feeling in my throat-I have found that sugar free Popsicles and shaved ice I can crunch on feels the best. They did say that they have "primed" my band w a little solution but said that shouldn't be interfering with me getting down fluids. I'm going to venture out tomorrow and see if I can find some of this Protein tea people are talking about. So there is my update :unsure:

Oh and dr office said the reason why my incisions were large is because I have a thick abdomen wall.... I still say they are an over kill. I have a follow up appt w the surgeon at the beginning of November.... I will hear it from the horses mouth then. They never let me actually talk to the surgeon any more.