Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sept. 2010 Bandsters !!!

I know it's different for different people, but I've noticed on several occasions while dieting that when I am too restrictive, my weight loss slows down. I do low carb, and I've noticed that for my own body, when I stop losing on low carb, if I have a meal of Pasta, then go back to low carbing it seems to jump-start my weight loss.

Maybe it's all coincidental, but as long as the scale is moving down, I don't care!

Even while I was stuck for those two weeks though, my body was shifting and changing. I went down a pants size in that time even though I didn't lose.

I know what you mean. I had my surgery on 9/29 and am now 2 weeks post op. I lost 11 pounds but now that I am eating real food, I actually GAINED a pound back. That really sucks. I don't feel any restriction either. I go to the doctor tomorrow for a follow surgery check. I hope I don't have to wait until Oct 10 (6 weeks) for a fill.

Hello All

I was banded on 9/29 and since then I've lost 12lbs. I'm back active, walking at least 30-45 minutes a day. This unusually warm weather has helped. I don't go see my surgeon until Thurs and I believe I will get a fill then. They didn't add any Fluid to the band during surgery so i can eat anything and I really hope the fill goes well becuase i'm afraid of old habits coming back. Including the preop diet I've lost 25lbs and I know that's awesome, I just need to get a handle on the food. What fills me up and keeps me full. Seems like my whole day is geared towards food: when did i eat? is it ok to drink? what am i going to have for lunch, dinner, Breakfast? Once i get the nutrition down I think i will be OK.

Hello All, new Sept. 2010 Bandster here,

I was banded in 9/17. I did the Protein Drinks for 13 days and then transitioned to soft solid foods. I suffered extreme low energy the last couple of Protein Drink days. food goes down easier than I expected and my hunger has been increasing.

I'd say I'm at 95% and did my first day hike yesterday; albeit only an hour on an easy-moderate trail. I still experience occasional shoulder and chest pains when eating. The easiest resolution is stop eating, breathe and walk around if needed. I have some issues laying on my side, but it gets better every day.

I'm currently eating 950-1100 calories/day, which is within the 800-1200 goal I was given. I'm also burning 200-400 calories 5 days per week with exercise. I started doing serious cardio walking on my two week anniversary. I'm not allowed to lift anything heavy for another 2-3 weeks, but this week I'm going to start with some light dumbells to get going with resistance exercise.

I lost 12 pounds in less than two weeks after surgery and have gained 1 pound back. I was cautioned several times, especially at my wound check appointment, that this would likely happen, especially when I lost such a high percentage of my excess weight in the week and a half after my surgery. My first fill is schedule for 10/19, which I am looking forward to since I'm getting quite hungry and my port site is finally healing (still has a bit to go).

For the people who were interested in how to cook fish, poaching is a great method that doesn't add fat. Use a flat pan large enough so each piece of fish does not touch. Heat to low boil some Water or broth (veggie, fish or chicken...not beef) that will be enough to be about 1/4-inch deep when fish is inserted. You can add wine, fruit juice, vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, seasonings, etc., to the poaching Fluid. Reduce heat to simmer. Place fish fillets in pan and move around so they do not stickto bottom. Cover with lid. Cooking time will vary dependingon density, thickness and temperature of fish, usually 5-15 minutes. I prefer to use non-fishy fish such as tilapia, mahi-mahi, trout and salmon. You can also do this with shrimp and scallops. I'm not a cod, snapper or flounder fan, but this method works very well for them; make sure you limit the time as they are thin fillets and can easily be over cooked.

I also love the method of loosely wrapping the fish in foil and baking at 350-400F. It's a good idea to spray the foil with oil before placing fish (I love my misto sprayers since I hate the propelant taste left behind by Pam and similar sprays). You can also add veggies on top of the fish. Harder veggies, such as carrots and green Beans, should be steamed or nuked slightly before placing on fish so they will be soft enough.

Surgery Date 9/17/2010

Surgery Weight 214

Current Weight 203 (11 lost):laugh:

Goal Weight 144 (59 to go)

I know what you mean. I had my surgery on 9/29 and am now 2 weeks post op. I lost 11 pounds but now that I am eating real food, I actually GAINED a pound back. That really sucks. I don't feel any restriction either. I go to the doctor tomorrow for a follow surgery check. I hope I don't have to wait until Oct 10 (6 weeks) for a fill.

That is exactly what happened to me. I was happy with losing one pound a week and I just went past the one month mark, and have gained a pound, but I thought maybe I was not getting enough calories. I have my appt on 10/16- maybe I will get my first fill and not be so hungry and tempted to eat even more.

Hello All

I was banded on 9/29 and since then I've lost 12lbs. I'm back active, walking at least 30-45 minutes a day. This unusually warm weather has helped. I don't go see my surgeon until Thurs and I believe I will get a fill then. They didn't add any Fluid to the band during surgery so i can eat anything and I really hope the fill goes well becuase i'm afraid of old habits coming back. Including the preop diet I've lost 25lbs and I know that's awesome, I just need to get a handle on the food. What fills me up and keeps me full. Seems like my whole day is geared towards food: when did i eat? is it ok to drink? what am i going to have for lunch, dinner, breakfast? Once i get the nutrition down I think i will be OK.

I hear ya, food seems to be on my mind all the time. I had a stressful day at work, and I used to come home and eat before bed (midnight). So proud of myself, though, I stuck to my usual, eat some cottage cheese and some veggies. There is nothing in my house to pig out on anyway, but I agree, old habits are still there, and gotta find another outlet for my stress.

Can't wait to hear how it goes, I hope I get a fill as well on Fri. I am trying to reprogram my mind, and reading everyone's suggestions has really helped.

great fish tip rambunctious.

I'm nervous about solids next week.

Hope you all are doing well.

I wonder how BrianLA is doing? we've lost him to the movie industry. And Cathy too? hope all is well with everyone.

Hello All,

I have finally hit the famous “plateau” =( I gained 1.5 pounds and lost 1 then gained .5… I am so stressed and hungry. I go next week to get my first fill (Oct 20th) and I tell you Wednesday can’t come soon enough. Last week I outdid myself moving some tables at work and opened my port incision. I went to the doctor and he didn’t stitch or bond it… just said… “No exercise because I don’t want any sweat to get in there. Keep it covered when out of your house and no lifting more than 5 pounds”. I was like… I have a hole in my belly!! Are you really going to leave it like that? Sometimes I don’t understand doctors.

Needless to say, I think the lack of exercise is causing this up and down. I am so hungry and can not wait to fill some restriction or at least the “OMG I can’t take another bite” thought… cause at this time all I can say is… “More please”

Sorry for venting…I really am happy with my band… since pre-op I have lost 28 pounds… 15 pre-op and 13 since banded on Sept 20th. I just like seeing the darn scale move down… not up.

Welcome to the group Rambunctious and great receipt!

Brian, were are you?

Please share your first fill experiences… the good and bad… I have to confess I am a little scared.

Let’s take it one day at a time =)

Moni

Overall Goal

weight.png

:blink:hey all .. I'm feeling the same way as everyone else ! I had my surgery on 9/20/10, and have not had my first fill yet! i am down 29or so lbs. I had my first meeting after surgery with cardiac nurse and nutritionist, to get me ready for my 12 week heart and wellness program at the hospital. they were VERY excited at how well i've healed and am doing, until they found out i was not eating enough LOL i thought i was following instructions but i must have missed a whole paragraph of what other mushy foods i could eat LOL.. Anywho, nutrition is skipping me to stage 3 and wants me to Eat 3 meals a day and two Snacks. it's tough, i feel so full all day long and i feel am eating too much food to lose any weight. I have my first fill on 10.29.10.. so i'm hoping for that restriction to take over and help me get that feeling of wow i can't eat another bite also.

John, congratulations on the 120lb loss. I can't wait until a year from now when we can all hopefully post similiar results! I was banded on the 13th and have been having great success although I've had the same problem as ocbutterfly. Going to movies has been hard. Just smelling that popcorn makes me crazy. I'm glad to have found this group!

Hello All,

I have finally hit the famous “plateau” =( I gained 1.5 pounds and lost 1 then gained .5… I am so stressed and hungry. I go next week to get my first fill (Oct 20th) and I tell you Wednesday can’t come soon enough. Last week I outdid myself moving some tables at work and opened my port incision. I went to the doctor and he didn’t stitch or bond it… just said… “No exercise because I don’t want any sweat to get in there. Keep it covered when out of your house and no lifting more than 5 pounds”. I was like… I have a hole in my belly!! Are you really going to leave it like that? Sometimes I don’t understand doctors.

Needless to say, I think the lack of exercise is causing this up and down. I am so hungry and can not wait to fill some restriction or at least the “OMG I can’t take another bite” thought… cause at this time all I can say is… “More please”

Sorry for venting…I really am happy with my band… since pre-op I have lost 28 pounds… 15 pre-op and 13 since banded on Sept 20th. I just like seeing the darn scale move down… not up.

Welcome to the group Rambunctious and great receipt!

Brian, were are you?

Please share your first fill experiences… the good and bad… I have to confess I am a little scared.

Let’s take it one day at a time =)

Moni

Overall Goal

weight.png

Hello, I opened up my incision last week too. I didn't exercise for two days, kept taking showers with antibacterial soap. I gave it the weekend, and it stopped bleeding and looked much better on Monday so I did not tell the doctor. I gained back 1 pound as well on my one month anniversary, but my surgeon f/u is tomorrow so will see what happens. Have you counted calories at all? I wasn't getting enough. I still get hungry, but drink lots of tea and eat every 3-4 hours. Still food is constantly on my mind. Keep to the doctor's advice, I guess we just wanna jump back in there too soon. I still cannot pick up kitties (over 20 pounds) but they find a way to get on my lap!! Let us know how you are doing.

well I gained a lb and I'm only 2.5 weeks post op. very discouraging. Solid foods on Tuesday, yeah.

well I gained a lb and I'm only 2.5 weeks post op. very discouraging. Solid foods on Tuesday, yeah.

I had my 2nd followup appt today and the PA said I was doing so well, no fill. I had gained 2 pounds too by the doctor's scale, but lost 4 pounds since my last appt on 23 Sept- so about 1 pound a week, which is what they wanted me to lose. I was afraid to start on breads and meat, but I was told today that is where most of my hunger is coming from because I was still eating mostly soft foods. DUH!! So I bought some English Muffins and some whole wheat Pasta and will not mash up my carrots. Wish me luck! I don't want to go berserk.... I eyeballed all the cake and Halloween candy at the grocery store today (last year I bought a whole box of Cookies at the bakery). Today, nothing!! My treat is those yummy yogurts that taste like pineapple upside cake. And starting today I no longer have to crush my thyroid meds. Yea. Thanks guys for listening. Lisa congrats on moving up to solid foods!! Do you know what you are going to have first??