Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

how many days a week do YOU workout?

I agree that you need to find an exercise that you enjoy. Also the more you loose the more comfortable exercising becomes. I find swimming easier for me because of a knee problem (though my knee feels better as I loose weight; but I have permanent damage that won't go away).

I swim/snorkle an hour a day/7 days a week. The key is a Water proof MP3 player; makes a huge difference. You can find them on Amazon.< /p>

Six. Sunday is my rest/stretch day. I do P90 and I plan to do the whole series (P90, P90M, P90X, maybe P90X+) I started doing it about 50+ days ago at 195lbs, I'm down to 172lbs, and down from a size 20 to a size 12.

You can lose without exercising, but it is usually slower. But, I like the toning and how I feel after doing it, so it's definitely something I'm glad I got into.

I joined LA Boxing and try to go to 4 classes a week (Classes are an hour) and then I try to either hike, hit the gym, etc. on one other day a week.

Each day since surgery I have tried to walk at least 30 minutes a day. I got bored with that and now ride my bike or do the elliptical. I want to try pilates, I was banded 9-10-10. Anyone think pilates and the stretching is too soon?

weight.png

va_viv - I thought the SAME thing. I am just 14 days out of banding but I am DYING to get back to doing some training other than walking simply because I DO NOT want to lose muscle! I did a 4 week boot camp program before surgery and now that I know that I can do it, I want to. I feel so weak though - I know its because I am only allowed Protein drinks so far (that should change tomorrow, YAY). I am just so ready to get rid of this weak feeling.

I started back walking about a week out of surgery and this week I bumped up to about 2 miles.

I am just ready to be cleared for something, anything!

No muscle loss for me if I can help it!

Congrats on your banding! So happy and excited for you! Hope your recovery is going well! I'm glad you agree with me and I wasn't the only person who had heard/thought that. I think the reason why you shouldn't lose muscle is because, like I mentioned above, you just pick up fat...making the chances of having a high fat index high as well as the possibility of gaining some weight back.

Plus..why not work out...we're losing weight and looking H-O-T we MUST show it off. LoL I hope that after my banding I am able to be up and getting some sort of exercise in.

OH and you're AWESOME for doing the boot camp, I'm sure you'll be able to do it again in no time. Tons of luck to you!

Edited by va_viv

I swim/snorkle an hour a day/7 days a week. The key is a Water proof MP3 player; makes a huge difference. You can find them on Amazon.< /p>

Do you swim laps with a snorkle?

One of the things I've learned over the years is that we need to make life changes that we can live with. If we do things that we hate, we most likely will not stick with them long term and will give up on them and be right back to where we were.

Now, some people will say they hated to exercise but now love spending 2-4 hours in a gym. My guess is that they only hated it because it was difficult due to being out of shape and overweight.

I, on the other hand, detested exercise even before I was overweight. As a child, I was not overweight and I detested phys. ed or any type of enforced activity. When my parents sent me out to get some 'fresh air', I'd take a book and curl up under a tree. I find walking (treadmill or outdoors) just for the sake of walking to be boring. Same with working out in a gym. These are activities I could never keep up long term.

However, I enjoy swimming. I used to enjoy tennis and raquetball even when I was 60 pounds overweight. I swim one day a week now, but am considering getting a membership to our local YMCA so I can swim a couple times a week or more. I'm hoping that once I drop another 35-40 pounds, I'll discover I still like to play raquetball. My husband could use the exercise too.

Find what you like to do (or what you used to like to do) and then do it. You're more likely to stick to it long term.

true, you should always do something you love over something you hate. like for me, i LOVE walking and i do a lot of that lately, i go as far as my feet take me (3-6 miles). this weekend i plan on walking from my house to downtown and back, which is probably 6 miles, taking photos of the autumn leaves. I'm doing the zombie walk at the end of the month which is to walk all over downtown, through resturants and bars, just terrorizing the neighborhood (haha). I can't walk on a tredmil, i lose interest. when i walk i need to be walking with someone or im not interested and im scared to walk alone. i also dont want to lose muscle either, but i have workouts froms magazines i can do to build muscle.

I take really high intensity spinning classes about 4 times per week and lift weights (without a trainer, although I've had many in the past) about 3 times a week. I've always been ok with exercise. It's the food part I struggle with. I feel a plateau coming on and plan on mixing up the cardio a little. Running or something.

Lately I've been noticing extra skin on my arms, so I've been lifting really heavy weights to try and compensate. Muscle I can handle. Fat, be gone!

I wanted to make sure that all the weight I lost was "real". Without weight bearing exercise I'd be afraid that it was muscle loss that was reflected on the scale.

i want to go swimming but i rather swim in my own pool buttt its freezing here so yeah. what is spinning classes? and i also struggle with the food part

i dont like working out but i push myself to do it. I go to the gym about 3 times a week and i do the treadmill thing and a couple weights but i like to do the classes cuz it make it more fun.

i want to go swimming but i rather swim in my own pool buttt its freezing here so yeah. what is spinning classes? and i also struggle with the food part

Spinning is stationary bikes. I do a class called RPM which is very similar to spin.

You can find RPM classes at Les Mills

Every day! Mondays and Wednesdays I work with a personal trainer (aka The Velvet Hammer!) for an hour +, and the other 5 days I walk/jog for about 45 minutes and stretch out for 5 minutes at the end to cool down.

Building muscle is hard work and very slow, but I'm beginning to understand how important it is along with eating healthy. The muscle strength raises your metabolism level, so fat will come off a little faster than sitting in front of the TV for hours at a time.

"The Biggest Loser" is an extreme example. My trainer told me that there is a HUGE medical staff just off the camera view in case these folks get into physical trouble. Also they get massages and their workout space is very similar to a pro football team locker room. They work really hard, no doubt about that, but when I'm done with my training session and I'm wiping the sweat off my body, I know that I'm working hard, too.

I built up my exercise program from short walks around the block. Some days I so hated it, but I kept going. Now I still have mornings that I don't want to get out of bed, but once I'm done, I'm very proud of myself.

If I can do it -- ANYONE can!!

:thumbup:

I workout 3 -4 days a week for a hour. I love the ARC trainer !! I burn about 700 calories in 45 mins , then some weights. I have P90X dvd, but it collecting dust. My goal is do the P90X in the morning, on my off days.

Edited by vikki99