Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sara Rue is a LIAR

I don't know or care who Sara Rue is.

The Lapband does not make us lose weight whether it is filled or unfilled. We lose weight by eating right and exercising.

The lapband is only built in Portion Control.< /p>

Most of us portion our own food out. This Sara chick has Jenny Craig doing that for her.

I'd say that Jenny Craig is helping help just as much if not more than the Lapband.

No, Elfie Poo there was no fill put in at surgery. My Dr. has done thousands of these surgeries and he feels that no fill at the time of surgery helps to heal faster. I tend to believe the Dr. with the medical degree, not some misinformed information that you came up with. Foolish was a poor choice of words, misinformed is more like what I meant. It is just this attitude that helps newly banded people think they are a failure when they are not, just because they may need no fills or a lot of fills, everybody is different.

If you have a band it's a lot easier to stick to a good eating plan if your not starving all the time. Not to mention it gives you Portion Control.

The band can give you portion control *if* you've hit your sweet spot. At 7cc I still haven't hit mine and at 8.5cc I was too full. The band has yet to work for me as promised.

I don't have any restriction and am not planning on getting any more fills because when I went above 7cc last time, I could no longer eat most Proteins or most vegies. Unfortunately I still had no problems eating potatoes, Pasta and rice.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm pretty much on my own and have seriously been debating surgery to remove the band since it does cause some discomfort every now and again as it rubs under the skin.

I've recently discovered that my problem is that I am addicted to carbs in the same manner that alcoholics are addicted to alcohol. If I stay away from them completely (except in low carb vegies and fruit) and keep my carbs under 35gm a day, I'm no longer hungry or craving. I lost 70 lbs 7 years ago and have kept it off and I guess I'll just have to do that again. So when I get down to 140, I will not give credit to the band as it will have had nothing to do with it.

I know this isn't a popular view here but take a look around...there are an awful lot of people who are not losing. Kudos and congratulations for those who do, but the many people here who aren't losing is proof that the band may not work for everyone...just like JC, WW, bypass, etc. doesn't work for all who try it.

Sara Rue obviously was not successful with her band so if she loses weight with JC, it will be JC that gets the credit as the right tool...for her.

<done>

Elfiepoo please do not give up it took me 2 and a half years till I got it right, I even thought I would have it removed now I am glad I didn't.

Elfiepoo please do not give up it took me 2 and a half years till I got it right, I even thought I would have it removed now I am glad I didn't.

Thanks barneygirl. :biggrin:

I'm not 'giving up' but I am going to focus (just for the immediate future) on a low carb diet using sheer willpower. I'm looking at the bad carbs the way an alcoholic looks at alcohol since that's how I respond to them (Pasta, potatoes, rice, flour products). With this new view, I've been more successful these last 2 days than in the previous 10 months.

Melody

I don't mean to argue with all of you fine people, but this band is not just a piece of plastic when there are no fills. I HAVE NEVER HAD A FILL, I was banded 12/20/08 and have lost and maintained 90 pds. I do have restriction, maybe I just have learned more from years of dieting, maybe i have more willpower, I can't explain why this band has saved my life with no fills. I could not lose a single pound before the band and i have been maintaining this weight for 10 months now. I am so grateful for the band and I get very upset when people make foolish comments that with no fills the band is useless. I might add, i still get stuck when eating too fast or too big of a bite, still have not mastered that yet. Thanks for letting me vent, I have never been so healthy in my whole life since being banded.

I agree with this view to a degree.

I'm newly banded so I can't speak from much experience but I found out that I did have 1.5 cc put in my band at surgery.

I was hungry as the time for my next fill came up but I did have restriction with just that little bit of Fluid. I did have my 1 stuck incident before getting my next fill at this point I'm just a little over 3.5cc and I can barely eat anything not to a serious degree like not being able to eat healthy things but I find that eating very little has me full.

I don't know about Sara but I would think that she does have at least a little restriction from the band. I'm not a surgeon but I would think that having the band placed around the top of your stomach w/o any Fluid will make you full on a little less from just that.

I have read on here and seen people on Youtube lose most of their weight with little to no fill. I don't know if she likes it I love it good for her.

ElfiePoo...there is a big difference btwn 7cc and 8.5 maybe somewhere in there would give you your sweet spot. I've read and heard that even taking or adding .1cc makes a big difference. Congrats on what you've done so far.

Thanks barneygirl. :biggrin:

I'm not 'giving up' but I am going to focus (just for the immediate future) on a low carb diet using sheer willpower. I'm looking at the bad carbs the way an alcoholic looks at alcohol since that's how I respond to them (Pasta, potatoes, rice, flour products). With this new view, I've been more successful these last 2 days than in the previous 10 months.

Melody

I low-carb with the band; I know I would not be nearly as successful without this approach. That said, I think it's worth trying to tweak fill level a bit; you had a lot of trouble at a higher volume of fill---but there is a lot of room between 7 cc and 8.5 cc. A LOT of room! I'd probably ask my doctor to fill in tiny increments; as you toe the line of restriction, that's often the best route to take.

Low-carbing is so much easier with restriction. I wholeheartedly think banding was the best choice for me--but do have appropriate restriction. And THAT is what makes it possible to stick to the impossibly low calorie range and carb intake my body requires to lose.

Betsy,

I'd love to low carb with the band's help and I may take someone else's advice and have them take me up .1cc at a time because my records show that once I went from 7 to 7.25, I had major problems with any type of Protein and vegies. Perhaps my sweet spot is somewhere in between.