Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

September Bandsters!

I was banded on 9-21 so sore right now had no idea it would hurt this bad. I really wish i could get this gas pain to go away. I think i will know this is worth it when i see the weight loss. one of my incisions i think is real big will have to ask my doc about that.

I know this stage will pass and all will be well.

Mary:sad:

I promise it will get better! It has been just 2 weeks for me and while I still experience the occasional pain...most of the gas pain has gone. At first the gas pain was the worst, all along my left side and it was concentrated in my left shoulder. Gas X was my best friend!! Walking is what really helped me...I would walk at least 10 minutes every hour. The gas pains only lasted about a week and a half thankfully. What got me through the rough start was thinking that this time next year I am going to be skinny and not afraid to put on a swimsuit in public!! haha...silly I know...but I need something to look forward to and to remind myself why I did this in the first place!!

Good Luck on your journey!

So I was banded on the 14th. :biggrin:

Well fellow bandsters, it has been a week and I am still kicking. This week has been a whirlwind. You are constantly thinking and asking questions to yourself. Will the gas pain go away? Have I taken my pain meds? Do I really need the pain meds? (ouch, ohh, ahh, yes I do) Why can't I poop? When will I be able to sleep on my stomach again? Have I eaten this hour? Did I get enough Protein? (makes a huge difference, I actually felt human after getting more protein) Has it been 1/2 hour yet? Can I drink? Is this too much to lift? Is that hunger? Why have my RLS (restless leg syndrome) symptoms back and why have I not slept in 3 days? (it turns out that with just 6 days without my cal/mag my RLS symptoms have returned with a vengence. I went out and got some liquid cal and what I thought had magnesium in it but it did not. Dohhh!:biggrin:)

The poor nurse who called me on Tuesday must have thought I was absolutely crazy. I returned to work on Monday and on Tuesday I had 3 1hr presentations to approx 30 each grade 1 classes on rhyming. She called me after I had just gotten back to the office, I was still full of adrenaline, and I had alot of questions and concerns that had built up over the week. Well I think I unloaded all of my questions without taking a breath. She probably found it difficult to get a word in edgewise and at the end of the conversation she says, "i will have the dietician get back to you maybe we need to adjust something, you don't normally talk that fast."

Everyday brings a little more calmness to my body. I am looking forward to mushie foods on Wednesday. I am apprehensive about having the cravings return. So far, so good.

Take care everyone,

I was banded on 09/03, and I had lost 25 pounds as of last week. I'm scared to weigh in because my monthly visitor just left, and I do NOT want to see the regular 5 pound increase that comes with him. Also, I transitioned to the soft food stage this week, and I'm scared that I might have gained because of that, as well. I think I'm going to bite the bullet, though, and weight in tomorrow. :biggrin: Fingers crossed!!!

Hi everyone. I was banded yesterday (23rd) so am still quite sore and taking pain meds. Cant make out whether my stomach is grumbling from hunger or whether its gas. I am on liquids for 2 weeks, but can have pretty much whatever I like including tea and coffee.

Nice to meet you all.

I was banded Sept. 7th and I just started my "pureed/mushy" stage. Who would have thought instant potatoes would taste so good. As of this past Sunday, I was down 20lbs total. I have decided to weigh myself once a week and try not to be scale obsessed. I find myself sticking to the 4oz portions okay, but I eat every couple of hours. I started keeping track of my calories and Protein intake. I am getting an everage of 1000 calories a day and 80 grams of Protein, so I think that's a good start.

Any advice on how to get the recommended 64oz of Water a day? I try, but it's hard. I feel like I am drinking constantly.

Thanks, and best of luck to everyone!

My surgery was 9/2/10. I get to start "real" food tomorrow. For me, liquids were so much better than mushies. Only mushy I could tolerate were potatoes.

80 grams of Protein is amazing. I can't get in that much.

I was banded 2 days ago and did not have any pain meds until yesterday afternoon so I slept last night which was WONDERFUL, I got about 5 straight hours..however I woke up this morning and was starving. So I grabbed a 1/2 cup of coffee and now I am having a Protein Shake. I needed something to give me a feeling of fullness..this works best at 42 grams of Protein it will hold me over most of the day!

I cant wait to start on mushy things, I am pretty tired of liquid stuff, between pre op and now post op at least I see the end in sight on liquids only...I have company coming into town on Tuesday so I have stuff to get done around the house - my surgery was scheduled prior to the visitors coming but its family so i couldnt say no. That is going to be a tough week though of people visiting and being restricted on food. I didnt realize how much focus we always put on food until the past months...a shame really. When they told me of their plans I instantly went to "What foods do I need to get in the house, what meals should I make..." Amazing how foods have gotten too be such a big part of our lives. :biggrin:

Hi!

I will be banded at 10:30 tomorrow am....scared, nervous,anxious...to say the least!

Jan

Hi September Bandsters! I got my band on 9/20 and am on full liquids. I'm kind of over the Protein Shakes so I'm enjoying a yogurt/milk/pudding w/ protien powder shake (yum). My left shoulder is still giving me problems & I'm really worried I might have done something wrong by lifting my 2 yr old (not supposed to lift for thatn 5 lbs). I'm wondering when this part, although not that bad, will be a distant memory.

I was just banded 9/22/2010. Now on full liquids with Protein suppliments. Pain is managable. Not sleeping well, pain in neck, shoulder on the left side...wondering if this is my gas pain. Once I get up it is subsided. New to everything and reading.

weight.png

Edited by luvrn2001

I was banded on 9-21 so sore right now had no idea it would hurt this bad. I really wish i could get this gas pain to go away. I think i will know this is worth it when i see the weight loss. one of my incisions i think is real big will have to ask my doc about that.

I know this stage will pass and all will be well.

Mary:sad:

I am with you on the pain part! I was banded on 9.14.10 and a week later I am still very sore. You have a larger incision since that is where they had to put the band in and where your port most likely is. The other smaller incisions were from the scope. My doctor told me it could be a month before the pain is completely gone. Some people's stomach muscles get more sore then others. We must be in the painful as hell boat. But, I will remember that ever bit of pain is worth the journey if it helps me get the weight off. I am on the mushy stage foods and looking for more ideas. Getting sick of the same ole stuff. Good Luck to you and keep in touch! :biggrin:

Hi September Bandsters! I got my band on 9/20 and am on full liquids. I'm kind of over the Protein Shakes so I'm enjoying a yogurt/milk/pudding w/ protien powder shake (yum). My left shoulder is still giving me problems & I'm really worried I might have done something wrong by lifting my 2 yr old (not supposed to lift for thatn 5 lbs). I'm wondering when this part, although not that bad, will be a distant memory.

I didn't have the shoulder pain, but I was told if I did get shoulder pain, left rib/breast, or neck area pain, it is from the Carbon Dioxide Gas that surgery uses to inflate the abdomen so that the doctor can get their instruments in and work in the abdomen. The length of time can varie from several days to 4 - 5 weeks.

I was just banded 9/22/2010. Now on full liquids with Protein suppliments. Pain is managable. Not sleeping well, pain in neck, shoulder on the left side...wondering if this is my gas pain. Once I get up it is subsided. New to everything and reading.

weight.png

I didn't have the shoulder pain, but I was told if I did get shoulder pain, left rib/breast, or neck area pain, it is from the Carbon Dioxide Gas that surgery uses to inflate the abdomen so that the doctor can get their instruments in and work in the abdomen. The length of time that you have this pain can varie from several days to 4 - 5 weeks.