Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What will you do with you "fat" clothes

What will you do with your "fat" clothes after banding?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What will you do with your "fat" clothes after banding?

• Keep them -- just in case....
    • Get rid of them once & for all!

Im going to donate everything except one pair of jeans or a suit. I want to make the biggest, baddest, fatest scarecrow in the neighboorhood. next Halloween :smile:

Great Idea! How much fun will that be! Thanks for sharing and best of luck to you as you get closer every day to your banding!

I can't afford to buy new clothes at every size, so I am going to try my hand at tailoring some of them...especially the shirts and dresses. Mind you, I am not a seamstress in the least, but I do have a sewing machine, and I think that if I just fold the excess material inside the side seams that I should be able to sew a straight line, making a new side seam. I will let you know how it goes :smile: I think that taking up some of the waists of the pants may not be too hard, here again, I may be very wrong. If my plan does not work, then I will donate to give them away because I don't ever plan on wearing them again!!!

I can't afford to buy new clothes at every size, so I am going to try my hand at tailoring some of them...especially the shirts and dresses. Mind you, I am not a seamstress in the least, but I do have a sewing machine, and I think that if I just fold the excess material inside the side seams that I should be able to sew a straight line, making a new side seam. I will let you know how it goes :) I think that taking up some of the waists of the pants may not be too hard, here again, I may be very wrong. If my plan does not work, then I will donate to give them away because I don't ever plan on wearing them again!!!

Well, Good for You AFMOM! Wish I could sew. When buttons fall off things around here, we throw them out! (JK, but it's almost that bad!) I hope that works out for you and if not, I've heard about a clothing exchange on here that you might be able to use. I'm sorry I don't know the exact name but I'm sure someone will provide that for you if you need it.

Just think, if you get good at it you could start a little home business -- clothes altherations for lapbanders; with all the WL success out there, I'm sure there'd be a market for it among lapbanders! :smile:

Congrats on your loss so far and good luck as you continue. Can't wait till I can start getting rid of some of these bigger clothes! 23 more days -- big sigh!

I can't afford to buy new clothes at every size, so I am going to try my hand at tailoring some of them...especially the shirts and dresses. Mind you, I am not a seamstress in the least, but I do have a sewing machine, and I think that if I just fold the excess material inside the side seams that I should be able to sew a straight line, making a new side seam. I will let you know how it goes :smile: I think that taking up some of the waists of the pants may not be too hard, here again, I may be very wrong. If my plan does not work, then I will donate to give them away because I don't ever plan on wearing them again!!!

You can get some inexpensive, nice dresses and blouses from Goodwill. I donate to Salvation Army and buy from Goodwill. Now, I have some dresses from Goodwill that are too big. I don't feel too bad about getting rid of them as I only paid less than $10.00 for them!

They are from the"better" or designer section.

I thought that I would try taking in some, too. But, not so good at doing it. Its a lot of work. Good luck for you.

Hello AFmom, This is the information about the Clothes Exchange, a number of people from Lap Band Talk has joined. Stop in and see what you think.

This Exchange was formed because so many have been dropping weight so fast, that it's helpful to exchange then to buy clothing each time you drop a dress size.

Below is the information for the Clothing Exchange

There is a Clothes Exchange that a LAP-BAND®®®®®®®®®®®®® Member started just last week.

Clothes Exchange for Bandsters

The clothes are free, just reimburse the person you get them from for the cost shipping.

My banding is next week and I wondered the same. I am keeping my fat clothes and will put them away for next summer 1) just incase & 2) it will be a major ego boost when I take them out and everything is huge. Kinda like every year I put my winter coat away with $20 in the pocket .. a little treat for me for next winter..lol Anyway I just moved 2 months ago so I have my boxes labeled "summer 26/28" "summer 22/24" Winter "18/20" etc.. so put your summer stuff away by size .. then next summer just see where your at some you may be able to get away with and some you wont. I am fortunate we have a thrift shop called "the shrinking closet" specifically for people who have had weight loss surgery .. donate your 26/28 stuff however they do it I think it's like $5 pants, $3 tops etc.. and whatever "credit" they give you you can use on the clothes in your new size from their shop. Since my plan is just to "stop by" the 22/24's & 18/20's I cant see buying all new real good stuff since they wont fit long, so 2nd hand is the way to go.

I am 2 weeks pre-op and have already started cleaning ouit my closet. I plan to donate to local christian mininstry as I shrink out of them. I am however planning to keep 2 or 3 of my favorite t-shirts to sleep in or wear over swimsuit.

I kept a lot of them for a while--especially some of the nicer business attire I had. But I finally realized I would never be a size 14 or 16 again (I'm a size 6 now!), and started giving away some of the suits and nicer clothing I had. The rest (t-shirts, etc.) I either cut up into rags (lol) or pitched!

My surgery hasn't been scheduled yet, but my mother will also be banded shortly after me. I plan to hand down my old things to my mother.

After that, I don't really care what SHE does with them. :-) I don't ever want to see them in my closet again!

I'll be banded in 27 days (who's counting huh?) lol.

I have about 6 different sizes of clothes, so I'll be "closet shopping" for a while during my weight loss.

I plan to sell the best stuff on ebay, not sure about the rest. I do feel the need to start organizing them all into sizes though. Right now they are everywhere in boxes and in the attic.

I have saved all my Levi's since I outgrew them so fast and now they would be considered vintage lmao. Hello silvertab levi's I've been waiting a long time to wear you again!

Edited by PuppyBandit

I've started wearing all my really expensive suits to work this week because I know I won't be able to wear them much longer. Yay!

I don't have any stored "skinny clothes" because I got rid of them all the last time we moved. I can't wait to go shopping in the "misses" section...

I am so glad to hear everyone is making progress. I think I will donate some of mine as well. Some of the pieces I am actually saving to make a quilt. I spent so much of my life using the clothes to cover my fatness, it will be nice to use them to insulate my hotness. Or, just to keep warm in the winter what with all my excess blubber gone and all. Best of luck to all.

I'd like to burn mine and dance around them naked in the full moon light...

But I'll most likely donate them. :}:smile:

I plan to give all mine away. My mom had Lapband in February has been giving her clothes to me as she's lost the weight. And, I put them in a basket because eventually we're going to have a clothing exchange.

I am new to this site. I have not had the banding but I go for the orientation class Tuesday. I have lost 46 pounds over the last 2-1/2 years. I have gotten rid of the clothes I have shrunk out of. I do not want the temptation of having as a fall back. The only clothes I buy are smaller ones.