Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gas pain in shoulder and chest???

Hi there, I was banded on August 30th, post op day 2 now and the only major pain I'm having is in my shoulder and chest from the gas...

How long will this last?? And is there anything I can do to make it go away faster?? I've been walking and taking Mylanta...:biggrin:

Thanks so much for any advise!!

Have you tried Gas-X strips? I used them and they worked pretty well. If you're really uncomfortable put a warm compress on your shoulder/chest. It does get better, trust me! Just keep walking when you can.

Walking helped a lot. Even just walking around the house. Heating pad at night on the shoulder helped to get through the night. I also used the gas x.

I would say about day 5 I noticed a huge diff in the gas pain being gone, or just occasionally hurting.

Hi there, I was banded on August 30th, post op day 2 now and the only major pain I'm having is in my shoulder and chest from the gas...

How long will this last?? And is there anything I can do to make it go away faster?? I've been walking and taking Mylanta...:)

Thanks so much for any advise!!

I was also banded on August 30. I am having a decent amount of gas pain in my shoulders. I have been using a heating pad which helps while it is on. Lots of walking too. I tried the gas-x strips and they taste horrible and I didn't notice a big difference. I have been burping quite a lot, which is uncomfortable. Also, it's a weird feeling when I drink anything, it's almost like it takes a minute to go from my esophagus into my pouch, do you notice the same thing? So excited to share this journey with you!

The only time I have had shoulder pain is if I've eaten too much! Horrible pain too. Got it day 2 post op after eating half of a pudding cup too fast. I've had it a couple of times since and all were related to eating too much or too fast. Just happened last night too and I'm about 3 weeks post op... the only actual gas pain I had was horrible bloating and pain in my lower abdomen about 4 or 5 days post op and the gas x strips were HEAVEN for that!!!

I was also banded on August 30. I am having a decent amount of gas pain in my shoulders. I have been using a heating pad which helps while it is on. Lots of walking too. I tried the gas-x strips and they taste horrible and I didn't notice a big difference. I have been burping quite a lot, which is uncomfortable. Also, it's a weird feeling when I drink anything, it's almost like it takes a minute to go from my esophagus into my pouch, do you notice the same thing? So excited to share this journey with you!

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply,

My surgeon said that the gas pain in your shouler and chest is normal after laproscopic surgery. Even family that has had gallbladder and appendix out have complained of the shoulder and chest pain...

Unfortunately the only things that really help is heat and movement! I do range of motion excersises as soon as it comes on and it usually goes away faster!

I do feel a strange sensation also when I drink, its weird like i can feel it until it gets there... don't know if thats normal but it doesn't hurt so I figure it will go away.

I'm so glad to have been banded on the same day as someone... I keep asking a friend of mine questions but she had her band 3 years ago.

Good Luck with the gas pain and keep me posted! :biggrin:

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply,

My surgeon said that the gas pain in your shouler and chest is normal after laproscopic surgery. Even family that has had gallbladder and appendix out have complained of the shoulder and chest pain...

Unfortunately the only things that really help is heat and movement! I do range of motion excersises as soon as it comes on and it usually goes away faster!

I do feel a strange sensation also when I drink, its weird like i can feel it until it gets there... don't know if thats normal but it doesn't hurt so I figure it will go away.

I'm so glad to have been banded on the same day as someone... I keep asking a friend of mine questions but she had her band 3 years ago.

Good Luck with the gas pain and keep me posted! :scared2:

Hi Jonesmrn! The gas pain is pretty much gone, although now I am having intestinal gas pains. I had a horrible night last night, my dietician seems to think that I may be a little lactose intolerant right now. So, today my stomach has been growling like I am hungry, but I haven't been able to get much of anything in, nothing is sitting too well with me. My incisions don't really hurt too much and I am having a little more energy, so that is good! Hopefully things will get better through the weekend. I have to say though, that this journey has been so emotional for me! I never could have anticipated this! I would love it if you would keep in touch with me to let me know how you are doing! :biggrin:

I was banded on august 30 and the gas sucks sooo bad. I ended up back at the hospital the day after I got home for low potassium, but today wasnt too bad. Im finding that I may not be drinking/eating enough (feelin faint n hot) but Im looking forward to being on this site and getting as much info as possible.

Intense

I have also had some pain in my shoulder, but Gas X strips are helping. I woke up this morning pretty weak and felt like i couldn't stand, I was a little scared but once I drink my Protein Shake I felt so much better! Walking has also helped me with my energy and the gas! Good luck!

I was banded on Aug 31 and I have experienced lots of gas pain in my shoulder and chest. I feel like someone is sitting on my chest and I get this feeling like I need to burp but can't. I've tried gas-x and it doesn't seem to work as well as others said it would. I'm hoping by tomorrow it will be gone.

Hello all you August 30th Banders!! I too was banded on the 30th. And I as well am having the shoulder and and chest gas pains. It feels like I have constant indigestion. It can be horrible at times, but mostly just annoying. I get the slow "pressure burn" in my chest at times when I swallow. Then followed by a burp/hiccup that is the most painful.

I am down 5 lbs already, which is great, but I am totally ready to be healed up and this gas pain to go AWAY!!

Banded 8/30, and the gas pain in my shoulder and chest has gotten much better but still comes and goes! I too thought that the gas-x was not helping, but it helps me burp and when I do the pain in my chest is relieved a little! Sometimes during the night if I lay on my back I find that the pain will wake me up, but if I get up, walk around and lay back down on my side it goes away! So even if you think the gas-x isin't helping (get the strips) just keep using them! And move around as much as possible!!

Good Luck to all of you!!

I have the same problem. I was banded on 8/31. I hope it goes away soon. My shoulder is killing me.

I have the same problem. I was banded on 8/31. I hope it goes away soon. My shoulder is killing me.

I was banded on Aug 26th and am A Okay now...still have port discomfort and am still fighting an infection I developed from my IV site but gas is gone!!!