Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have surgery on the 7th of Sept, a Tuesday. I teach, so getting time off is hard. I am hoping to be able to go back Wednesday. I don't have to do much except stand a little in class, but sitting is ok if I need to.

Anyone able to do this? Is there anything I can do before to make this more likely? Thanks.

Well everyone is different but I can honestly say that I had really no pain. They sent me home with pain killer and I didnt take any of it there was no need. I am a hair dresser and stand all day I had my surgery on Tuesday August 17th was discharged from the hospital the next day and I went back to work Friday. The only discomfort was from all the gas they pump you up with but walking helps with that. Good luck and I hope all goes well!

weight.png

I am sure it is different for everyone but to go back the next day to teaching, I couldn't do it. I'm a teacher and a special ed at that. What if someone got into a fight or got mad and kicked you. You would have just had major trauma to your body and put yourself at risk like that and I doubt your surgeon will sign off that you return. I was required to take my ten days or until my two week follow up. If you were to get hurt and they found out you had surgery they would not cover it in workman's comp. You need to let your body heal. It's not an office visit. I was sore and shuffling around and sleeping uncomfortably for a few days but by day five, I was walking the track at the YMCA comfortably.

I don't know what grade, specialty, etc but IMHO, I wouldn't risk it but I am not a doctor.

or I could see the Friday or Monday after having it as the earliest, at least Friday.

I was banded on August 16th (feels great to say that WOW. )I am also a Teacher and there is no way I could have gone back to work the next day. I took a week off of work. I was in a lot of pain after surgery and needed time just to sleep and heal. I guess you can try to cage how well you'll react to the surgery based on your pain tolerance. I can't tolerate ANY pain so I wasn't surprised that it took me about two weeks to recover. If you can tolerate pain, maybe you'll be ok. Try taking off at least a day or two after surgery. Tell them you are having surgery. Legally you are allowed to take time off of work for medical reasons. Good luck.

I had mine Friday, and I am an asst. principal, and I wouldn't have been comfortable back at work on Sat. I am planning on going back monday, and should be fine, but the day after you will be very sore and very uncomfortable.

I had my surgery on the 18th and I can tell you there were a lot of naps the next couple of days. It wasn't so much the pain as the being sleepy and needing rest and recovery. (I was taking Tylenol, only took pain medicine the night of the surgery) I went back to work on Monday the 23rd and had no problems. I'm a nurse and was in classes all week for a new job. Last night was my first 12 hour shift since the surgery and night shift so it was kind of hard to make it all night but I was fine.

I think you should give youself atleast 3 days. I was banded on Aug 16th and I wasn't in pain at all, but a lot of people experience gas pain and nasaue (sp). I'm an accountant, my job is not physical at all and I'm not going back until Sept 27th. I REALLY want to relax and get to know my band before I think about going back.

I have surgery on the 7th of Sept, a Tuesday. I teach, so getting time off is hard. I am hoping to be able to go back Wednesday. I don't have to do much except stand a little in class, but sitting is ok if I need to.

Anyone able to do this? Is there anything I can do before to make this more likely? Thanks.

I am a teacher too...I was banded on Aug 24..doing as predicted...no major problems. However, NO way could I have gone to work the next day. Even sitting in a classroom. Sitting up too long can hurt the inscions. Also you need to be focusing on getting everything in...water, Protein, and other liquids...its very important you heal that week. One more thing...the first couple of days its very normal to have Diariah....so glad someone told me...so you need to be close to a bathroom. Good luck...but think you need to plan on going back on Monday.Not sure what kind of school district you work in..but there are two jewish holidays at the end of the week..you might be able to claim religious observance. GOOD LUCK !!!:thumbup:

Oh my goodness do not go back to work the next day!!!! You need to lay down for several days post surgery. YOu need at least 3 days post surgery. Can you change your surgery to a thursday, take Friday off, and then you have the weekend?

I am a teacher too and am having surgery on the 7th, I am taking the rest of the week off, you need time to heal, and I feel like I deserve that. You do too! There is no way I could teach after surgery.

Ok, I teach college, so fights and so on will not be an issue. I wouldn't worry about taking time off if I taught k12. But classes meet only once or twice a week, so taking of more time is hard. I was supposed to do this before the semester started, but that didn't go as planned. Mine is also outpatient, so I won't be in the hospital overnight. I only have to teach 2 classes, from 9-12:30, and then can go home. My husband even works nearby, so he can drop me off and pick me up so I won't have to drive. I really am more concerned about pain than anything else. I was in class when I went into labor, and finished class before driving myself home. (1st child, long labor).

Oh, and my doctor is only at the hospital my insurance covers on Tuesdays, so I can't move to a different day of the week. But I also don't work Fridays, and Thursday is the same schedule as Wed, so only a few hours.

If you're a professor why not do a blackboard session? When I was in undergrad and grad school TONS of professors had blackboard assignments. If you're university or college doesn't have a BB system, why not a assignment to be completed in the interrim and have then turn it in when you're back?

No matter what you're profession is you SHOULD NOT return to work within hours of having surgey. You don't want to over do it and you can't know how the procedure will effect you.

Ok, I teach college, so fights and so on will not be an issue. I wouldn't worry about taking time off if I taught k12. But classes meet only once or twice a week, so taking of more time is hard. I was supposed to do this before the semester started, but that didn't go as planned. Mine is also outpatient, so I won't be in the hospital overnight. I only have to teach 2 classes, from 9-12:30, and then can go home. My husband even works nearby, so he can drop me off and pick me up so I won't have to drive. I really am more concerned about pain than anything else. I was in class when I went into labor, and finished class before driving myself home. (1st child, long labor).

I just had my surgery on Thursday, and there is no way I could have gone to work the next day. Also, usually after surgery your doctor won't allow you to go back right away. Mine told me I could go back after my first office visit, which will be this Tuesday. Friday I was very sore, my port site hurt whenever I moved, walked or anything, and I needed help just getting out of a chair. I also was still groggy from the anesthesia and slept a lot. You need to worry about you and not your students, not your boss, no one else is as important as you are.