Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery soon and want a baby!

Aww well congrats and good luck! Yes of course, thats what I want the most. I wanna be healthy for myself mainly, but also for my family too. I definitely dont wanna lose weight then go back to the way I am now. So I do agree with you! :smile:

Weighing the decision of banding vs having a baby first here. My fiance had a baby with someone else 3 years ago(before my time) and the mom was in an accident and lost the baby. My fiance still occasionally cries about it. I have 2 kids already and though i listen and try to comfort him, there is no way i could understand the pain he feels. I told him we would try for a baby and we did for about 5 months. I weigh 285 and have PCOS(my second child 2 and half years ago was a HUGE shock, never thought id have more) so I feel like i need to lose the weight and then we'll be successful but i also feel a little selfish making him put his baby plans on hold for a year. My band date is Oct.28th so getting close and I'm going to do it because I feel for the health of our future baby i need to lose the weight. But he doesnt really get that I don't think and lately he seems more sad about "Isabella" and while I know our child could never replace Isabella, I think he's sad because he was looking forward to having the joy of expecting another. Am I doing the right thing? I think so but want a second or third opinion ;o)

I've been curious about this myself; I REALLY want to get banded and lose at least 70% of the weight before I have a child. Patience is getting the best of me, however; while I am only 29 I'll have been married 6 years in Jan and I know 14 (that's right, FOURTEEN) people who are either pregnant or had babies this year (one had twins). Needless to say, the pangs are getting to me. I don't get to see my dr for a referral until Dec, but the surgeon's office has been awesome about answering my questions and think I'm a perfect candidate, so fingers crossed I'd like to be banded by Valentine's Day. However, the surgeon's office has posted on their website they expect you to wait at least 18 months before getting pregnant, and while it makes sense I think it'll drive me crazy if I lose sight of my goal. *sigh* Anyhoo, I guess right now the biggest focus should be getting healthy for ourselves to decrease complications for the little ones down the road...

Edited by melzie_99

Well, just found out ANOTHER one of my friends is pregnant; this is killing me! I know I can't be upset when I'm not trying to get pregnant, but it really does make me sad that I haven't experienced that joy yet. I've got to keep telling myself my time will come but I've got to be healthier first. :(

Well, just found out ANOTHER one of my friends is pregnant; this is killing me! I know I can't be upset when I'm not trying to get pregnant, but it really does make me sad that I haven't experienced that joy yet. I've got to keep telling myself my time will come but I've got to be healthier first. :thumbup:

I'm having the same issue. My best friend who dated this guy for a week, just came over this weekend cause I had to be the first person she told she was pregnant. Which she was upset about and I had to try and be there for her even though I was sad cause its another friend I have to see have a baby before me. And I know its selfish of m but its so hard. I was really debating just giving it another try, but I'm only almost 3 months post-op and have dropped alittle over 30lbs but I still have another 70-80 pounds to lose. The sad part is the one thing thats stopping me right this moment is I'm getting married October 2011 and want to fit into my dress I purchased at a going out of business sale a couple weeks ago. So I totally feel your pain but both our times will come and when It does it will be perfect!

I am praying to get banded in jan and am now on birth control pills not that I was having a period before PCOS but my man and my sergion want me to wait 1 year post surgery to start trying and I so want a baby too I'm only 31 years old but itts been my dream since I was little to have my own baby and just have not gotten prego on my own so going to keep on the birth control for at least the first 7-8 months after surgery to loose the weight and get me healthy then my man and I cAN start trying to get pregnant. Good luck to all.smiles