Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How can I get more protein?

I think a call to your nutricianist is in order.

I drink two 16 oz Protein shakes per day. I use the 100% natural whey Protein from BuyBulkWhey.com. It has No artificial flavors, No artificial colors, No artificial sweeteners and No MSG. The powder has NO taste to me. So it so easy to add any flavoring to my homemade smoothies.

Here is my sample recipe:

2 scoops of pure whey protein

2 cups of soy milk (any flavor)

1 cups of strawberries (or any fruits)

3 packets of Truvia sweetner

I was going to just say Protein Shakes are big for me right now. I'm drinking at least one a day, which has 35g of Protein in a shake. I am also eating Chobani non-fat plain yogurt w/ splenda and that has 18g of protein in a 6oz container.

Ugh ! I know how you feel !! The only reason I have managed to stay at or around 60g of Protein is I'm having 1 1/2 servings of Protein Powder in a shake in the morning! I'm 4 weeks out and supposed to be on soft foods, but the nutritionist said to do what you need to do in order to get Protein in.

Everyone is completely different and a Protein Shake in the morning is the only option as I'm still super restricted & not hungry at all...

I dont know what eggbeaters is... but try 2 small sized eggs & 50g of cottage cheese or quark... this gives me 19g of protein :(

Good luck !

Rach.

GNC sells some Protein mixes that have more protein grams in them than what I bought from my doctor. The one I recall is called WHEY. They taste pretty good to. Right now I am using Syntha 6 from GNC and it is good and has a lot of protein as well. There really isn't much more you can do while on soft foods. Hang in there.

You may not necessarily get that much from food stuffs now. I have used a whey Protein in a shake form at times which can give a good amount of protein.

I relied heavily on Protein Shakes for the first few weeks, but have lately changed to Greek yogurt. The same level of Protein but fruity and doesn't taste so much like chemicals (to me shakes just taste artificial). They come in 1/2 cup portions...and you could thin them with a tablespoon of skim milk if you wanted. You can also get shakes that have more calories AND more protein. My choice is usually Atkins Dark Choc Royale...about the best one I have found. A friend likes Muscle Milk.

BUT I agree that you will have trouble losing weight on such a low calorie regime. You can't get your metabolism out of park with that. I didn't really lose weight after the band operation until I started eating 1200 calories a day. Then I lost 2-3 lbs a week. Lately it has slowed and I think I have to lower it a bit or settle for a smaller loss or 1-2. As you lose weight you need fewer calories to maintain.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

I think I did pretty good today. I'm up to about 500 calories and I'm getting ready to go work out, so I may have another Protein shake after.

I pretty much stayed with the same food, but added in the Protein shakes. I wanted to get another one in earlier, but my planning was off. My oldest has football practice for 3 hours Tues-Fri. evenings, so I'm trying to plan around being up at the field during that time. Oh well, it will get better. I'll probably end up throwing a shake into the cooler to drink half way through.

Oh, I am up to about 50 grams of Protein, so I think, like many of you said, it will definitely be beneficial for me to get down 2-3 Protein Shakes during the day.

I still haven't heard from my nutritionist, but I'm just gonna steam roll right ahead with the wonderful advice from all you lovelies.

BTW, I already feel better, is that possible? I don't feel as exhausted as I normally do at 9:30pm, I'm on my way to work out after all! :(

THANKS!!!!

Just wanted to update...

I heard back from my nutritionist and she said I should be consuming 800 calories and 60 grams of Protein, this would have been nice to know from the beginning. Oh well.

So, it looks like I've got some food to consume.

Glad you checked that out. 250 is dangerously low. Now you can concentrate on being a "loser" :smile2:

Best of luck girl!

Check your shakes they come in all different kinds of Protein amounts. The greek yogurt is 20 grams, a stick of string cheese which you can melt in your mouth is 8 grams, humus, refried Beans, etc. all have protein and is under the soft food area. Also eggs, tuna fish with mayo etc. I can do 30 grams by 11 in the morning. But I am a hungry girl.