Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

EGD Tomorrow!! SCARED!

I'm a wuss when it comes to not knowing how something feels or what to expect. I've never had any surgery nor been put to sleep. I have no idea what to expect and am scared what If I don't fall asleep all the way and every possible worse case lol.

I'm a wuss when it comes to not knowing how something feels or what to expect. I've never had any surgery nor been put to sleep. I have no idea what to expect and am scared what If I don't fall asleep all the way and every possible worse case lol.

I've not been banded yet, but I have had 10 surgeries in the last 2 years. (Car accident - NOT my fault! lol) I can assure you, once you get past the first needle stick for the IV (and they usually numb that first with a really small needle) you won't feel anything until they wake you up.

Your Doc and everyone else in the OR want you to stay asleep so they can get their work done, so they control the level of your "sleep". If they detect you "waking", they bring out the mallet and whack your noggin to keep you dreaming. (If you wake up with a bump on your head, you'll know you woke during surgery!

Seriously, you'll be slightly sedated just before they wheel you into the OR. Until they have you situated on the table, they want you to be able to help with the transfer. As they prep you, the OR team will probably be cracking jokes, trying to put you at ease.

Relax and enjoy the nap!

RyanZ,

I know how you feel! I was scared too. When the anethesiologist came in she asked me if I was nervous. I told her I was and she gave me something to help. If they don't ask you, ask them because it sure helped! One minute they were wheeling me out of my room and seemingly the next I was in recovery. I didn't even stay awake until they got me in the operating room.

Just be sure and let them know how you are feeling so they can help you. They were very, very good about that at the hospital where I had my surgery.

Good luck!

Thanks so much ya'll I just hope my Hospital here in Louisiana is like that. Seems were full of rude people lol.

Hey RyanZ,

I was exactly like you - never had surgery or any type of procedure. I am a RN with 15+ years of ICU experience - so I understand all about medical procedures; however, I was still very anxious about the EGD. But, let me reassure you it is a breeze - you will wake up in the Recovery Room after a great short nap and not remember a thing.

I am still anxious about my surgery. It is scheduled for next Wed, but I am sure it will go just as smoothly.

Good luck with your procedure.

What is an EGD....i cant figure that out guess i could take out my medical dictionary but i'm too lazy...

I understand how you feel. I was in the same boat weeks ago and I was mortified as well. All I can say is, my doctor and his staff really knew what they were doing, by the time I "came to", they were telling me it was time to go. My throat had that little "sore throat" feeling for a couple of hours, other than that, YOU'LL BE FINE !!!

Believe me, I was more scare about the EGD than the actual surgery, so I definitely know how you feel !!!:)

If it makes you feel any better, I'm freaking out right along there with you. Tomorrow is my big day too. I'm happy to be doing it and feeling lucky that I finally can but freaking out all the same!

i totally understand where you're coming from. My surgery is scheduled for august 27th but i think about it everyday. I'm so excited & am really looking forward to my surgery date. By the way, i'm from louisiana also! I hope all your questions get answered on here. This is such a great support system! I love it here!

From a quick google search, I take it EGD is esophagogastroduodenoscopy. Well if that is the case I am refferring to it as an upper GI endoscopy. And I am also having mine tomorrow. Mine is going to be in my gastroenterologists office. I am slightly nervous. I am going to be sedated. Now I have seen tons of animals sedated, but have never been myself, I've never even had an IV before. I trust everything will go well, for you and for me. I had to have someone drive me home, so my mom is coming over tomorrow to take me there and drive me home.

From a quick google search, I take it EGD is esophagogastroduodenoscopy. Well if that is the case I am refferring to it as an upper GI endoscopy. And I am also having mine tomorrow. Mine is going to be in my gastroenterologists office. I am slightly nervous. I am going to be sedated. Now I have seen tons of animals sedated, but have never been myself, I've never even had an IV before. I trust everything will go well, for you and for me. I had to have someone drive me home, so my mom is coming over tomorrow to take me there and drive me home.

So thats what a EGD is...why do you guys need to have that done??? my doc didn't order that for me....

So thats what a EGD is...why do you guys need to have that done??? my doc didn't order that for me....

I believe it is to make sure you don't have any ulcers that could make erosion more possible. Also they said they would take a culture for H pylori (helicobator pylori) a bacteria that can more you more susceptable to ulcers. Also they probably want to make sure they see your anatomy, so there are no surprises, (I would think)

I believe it is to make sure you don't have any ulcers that could make erosion more possible. Also they said they would take a culture for H pylori (helicobator pylori) a bacteria that can more you more susceptable to ulcers. Also they probably want to make sure they see your anatomy, so there are no surprises, (I would think)

Well i suppose that makes sense...since i dont have either of those things that's probably why i'm not getting one...Good Luck everyone....

I had an EGD, and I have never had any gastric problems. It is a standard procedure done on every patient with my surgeon. Zeniada, I would ask your surgeon about it, apparently the culture is pretty important to have before being banded.

As for the op, I was so nervous too. Like you, I had never been put under for anything. It was so quick, though, and I felt fine after. Apparently the whole thing took less than 10 minutes. The worst part for me was after, because I had no memory of going to sleep. The last thing I remember was closing my eyes, but I was still awake. Then the nurse was shaking me awake. It was uneasy for me to have lost that block of time. But I left the office within 20 minutes of the procedure and it really was no big deal.

I was asked a few basic questions and given a gown. I got up on the wheel-y bed and was given one of those toasty warm cotton blankets. That helped! I laid on my side, and within seconds of the happy juice hitting the iv I was out like a light, with no after-effects at all. Well except one. The doctor took advantage of my goofy state and got me to agree to come in the next day for a colostomy due to a blood test showing low Iron.

Also, was given several computer pics of my innards which showed a hiatal hernia and slight esophagus erosion and was given an Rx for Prilosec.