Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not doing what i should

Hello all,

I got banded over 1 year ago and really havnt lost a lot of weight until recently when i got a huge adjustment. It has slowed me down quite a bit.

My problem is i find ways to slip things past my band should not be eating. pudding and such sugar filled stuff lke soda.

I am ashamed of myself for not following some sort of diet that will help me melt away these pounds and get my life back.

I have a back conddition and neuropothy in my feet so i have not been excersising properly at all. I am tryng to work through the pain however as my deterination is building.

What am looking for here is to find a diet of healthy protien filled meals. Some sort of menu i can follow and stock up on at the grocery store. know i have all the conditions to lose weight if i can just keep my willpower.

Wow it is not neccesarly a good thing to hear that a person can still get around eating with the lap band but being pre-band it has opened my eyes to how even with the band it's nothing more than a piece of plastic if we dont follow our doc's advice and a sensible diet. your post has given me insight and inspiration i hope that you can get back on tract and start losing for real. i have no advise to give you as far as a menu but i know that you will find a lot of useful advice on this website. good luck!

Try some simple "replacements" - example... make pudding, but add a scoop of Protein Powder to the mix.... then the milk - wa-la Protein pudding! Replace your soda - with Crystal Lite (helps to get your 64oz of liquid in a day)

Make sure that each meal/snack you have has more protein and less carbs! (yogurt, cottage cheese, apple w/peanut butter, string cheese & nuts... chili, tuna salad, chicken salad, egg salad, refried Beans ....etc)

Go to the food a Nutriton section of the forum - there is a great post on "what did you eat today" - should give you some really nice ideas on what folks eat.

Good luck to you - we all get off track... just find your way back! :thumbup: You can do it!!!

Maybe you need ( like all of us) to get rid of words like "should" and "ashamed". I hate being told I cannot have certain foods...it is the one way to get me passionately interested in almost anything. If they came out with a study and said that rice cakes (ugh, ugh, ech!) were to be avoided by dieters at all costs, I would immediately begin obsessing ways to sneak them into my pantry in large quantities. I would doodle rice cake people on my desk blotter (I would have to actually buy a blotter on which to do this, thus blowing my household budget and risk losing my home to the bank), I would drool over pictures of illicit rice cakes in underground magazines while pretending to read literature, and my dreams at night...well, best to draw a veil, Dear Readers. My saving grace? I know this about myself after years of restrictive diets ( many successful for the short haul), self-blame, and Guilt.

What works for me...not protein-lovers, not those content on low-fat programs, or the complex-carb folk - is the old fashioned calorie counting method, where nothing is forbidden, no food is "bad" (thank you WW for this gem), but married to the idea that food is actually fuel...and my body will simply not work well without the basics. Which have to go in first. So Proteins first or I feel like crap and my hair will fall out - now there's a threat!, and tart cherry juice for my arthritis (140 cal), then veggies for Vitamins and minerals, my milk quota, which I have in my tea ( I also add a teaspoon of totally useless calories in sugar which is non-negotiable if I am to feel human). This, believe it or not, leaves me with some extra calories that I can use anyway I want without guilt, horror, remorse, or weight gain. I get control and a MacDonald's smoothie (210 calories - less if you leave out the yogurt) with friends. Thinking of food a fuel makes me look at the Big Mac's, curly fries dripping with fake cheese, over-stuffed then fried burrito, etc as useless and disgusting excesses. What you need is to find your own path...almost all diets work, but won't last until they feed your souls and mind as well a fill your stomach.

I've been having problems with my sweet tooth for the last couple of months. Finally, this weekend, I just put my foot down and said no more!

I did get a fill on Monday that I scheduled two weeks ago, as I was able to eat more than I wanted to. But starting on Monday, I had to set a visible goal of no longer eating sweets, and to be accountable by posting daily on my blog whether I did or didn't eat a sweet.

Today is day 3, and so far so good. It hasn't been easy, but I really want to lose 100 pounds from my highest weight by my one year anniversary and I'm just 23.6 pounds away as of this morning. I have 4.5 months to do it.

As far as a set diet, I don't follow one other that just Portion Control. I can eat pretty much anything I want, just lots less than what I did before. And I do exercise about three times a week. It really helps. I love Water aerobics!

Regarding exercise I find that swimming is a great way to do cardio that's non weight bearing. I have a bad knee problem which makes walking difficult (Got special joint goop injected to the knee which realllyyyy helps). As I've lost weight bearing exercise has gotten easier but now prefer swimming. I use a snorkle/googles, with a Water proof MP3 player (look on Amazon) and the hour goes by pretty quickly. My mother has been swimming every day for 30 years (she's now 79); she however likes to meditate/pray while she exercises. You need to find a form of exercise that "works" for you. That you can commit to doing 3-5 days a week.

I agree with a previous post! Don't beat yourself up...just start over!

Some suggest doing the Protein liquid diet for three days when starting over to get rid of the sugar/carb addiction. The Protein shakes have to have less sugar so they are like the EAS shakes and other Protein like unjury that you add to Crystal light. My doc is adamant that we only have minimum of 25 carbs which come from Beans and veggies. Forget slider foods like Pasta and mash potatoes! With my band and its restriction, I don't have room for much of anything but protein. Yes, my menu gets boring but it does help as you say to be prepared. The other thing is you need to realize that life happens and there will be times you go out so you need to know what are alternatives too. Chili at Wendy's is an option for me. I eat boring stuff because I'm picky and everybody has their dislikes.

However, what helps me most is writing everything down! Before I started writing stuff down, I really thought I was within the range my doc wanted. Yet after I started it, I knew I wasn't and realized what I was doing wrong. Writing down everything will show you if you are getting at least 60 grams of protein and keeping the calories low to what you doc says and the fat grams low.

The other advice is go to a support group for the band. My doc office has two groups that meets once a month. I learn new stuff every time I go and it has helped me with my motivation!

Wow, who knew I had so much to say! On the exercise, yeah do what you want to do so you do it! I decided to just start walking on the treadmill downstairs at work in this mock version of a gym at like 2.5 mph with a book and my music! I'm not dying, I don't have to change clothes, I'm not sweating and it's movement that I can just add to that doesn't bother me to do! Start with like 15 mins and then do 15 mins later! :unsure: Keep your head up!

Breakfast:

Canadian Bacon low in fat and cal and about 10 grams of protein for three slices

Turkey

Ham

(Higher in fat Proteins use sparingly but for variety when you are bored ...saugage and bacon)

low sugar yogurt

low carb fruits like some berries

Lunch/dinner

chicken, turkey, pork chops, fish, tuna, meatballs with sauce, meatloaf, pot roast, shrimp

low carb veggies like broc, cali, green Beans spinach, etc

chili

salad (watch the dressings for the sugar)

you should have gotten gastric bypass

you should have gotten gastric bypass

why is that? even with GBS you can still not do what your supposed to still over eat still eat the wrong thing food still cheat. plus GBS is so drastic and has so many complications i wonder why it is still offered...

for sweet tooth there are a lot of options out there now. I buy the yogurt they are advertising on tv, the whipped ones, and freeze them, they are only 60 calories and feel like you are eating sinful chocolate. I also use skinny cow ice cream, sugar free pudding, sugar free whip cream, sugar free Jello, there are lots of ways to still have a bit of what you crave without tanking your weight loss. This has taken me time to learn, but it is working. For Protein meats, tuna, cheese, chicken, prawns, chili, humus, are all good choices.

For menu options my day is something like this.

Breakfast Special K Protein shake.

lunch, a small portion of meat and veggies, or a cup of chili, or a small taco salad with fat free dressing, or a cup of Soup.

Mid afternoon is when I get hungry at times, if I do I eat a string cheese or a fat free low calorie yogurt.

dinner, salad, a veggie and a small portion of meat.

Occasionally I have some sort of Pasta with a light sauce or casserole, but when I have something heavier like that, I increase the salad and eat smaller portion of the heavier item. dinner is a total of about 1 cup of food, lunch around 3/4 a cup.

Hope this helps.

Edited by OnTheWay to Thin
typo