Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone,

new to the process. Once I get my insurance card and info, I will be able to make my first appt with a PCP. Anyone have any suggestions for a good PCP in the 5 boroughs of NYC? I also have my parents' health insurance United Healthcare, but their particular plan doesn't provide Lapband coverage. So I will be using medicaid/Health Plus for my insurance. Any one know about Health Plus or how the process works here in NYC? Thanks

Cicely

GIRL!!! I'm waiting for my insurance card too. I have HIP medicaid as far as providers you have to go onto the Health Plus website and look up participating hospitals and providers for bariatric surgery. I am getting my surgery dome by Dr.Nishamura South Nassau Hospital (LI).

GIRL!!! I'm waiting for my insurance card too. I have HIP medicaid as far as providers you have to go onto the Health Plus website and look up participating hospitals and providers for bariatric surgery. I am getting my surgery dome by Dr.Nishamura South Nassau Hospital (LI).

Ok thanks! i have checked the Health Plus website and can't find any providers for bariatric surgery...so I've got to call them which I will be doing TODAY!! lol thanks for the advice and when r u getting your surgery done?! congrats! :bolt:

I don't know when I'm having the surgery I am going through all the pre surgical testing but i hopr before the end of the year. I had a set back because i lost my job and insurance so I have to start all over again with the new insurance medicaid. I don't know If you close Health Plus when you applied for medicaid but it's better to pick United Health Care or HIP ad managed care because they have many bariatric surgeons who accept them.

Hey How's everything going? I still haven't got my insuarnce card?? Did you locate a MD.

hey also waitin on insurance card, found a doctor im considering. my plan takes effect september 1!

Hi...Im in NY as well and just got Medicaid/Healthfirst. I made my initial appt. with Dr. Kini at Mt. Sinai Hospital (NY).

He came HIGHLY recomended! I don't know what other types of insurances he accepts but for sure he takes Medicaid/Healthfirst. Here is his team's website...Maybe it can help. =o)

Surgically Slim: Weight Loss Surgery at Mount Sinai Hospital

Hi...Im in NY as well and just got Medicaid/Healthfirst. I made my initial appt. with Dr. Kini at Mt. Sinai Hospital (NY).

He came HIGHLY recomended! I don't know what other types of insurances he accepts but for sure he takes Medicaid/Healthfirst. Here is his team's website...Maybe it can help. =o)

Surgically Slim: Weight Loss Surgery at Mount Sinai Hospital

Hey thanks so much! I appreciate the help! Will keep u posted on what goes on! :)

Please do...I will do the same!! =o)

Hi...Was wondering if anything new has happened?

I went to Dr. Kini's office yesterday. I had to wait a little bit but everything went well. Everyone there greets you with a smile and they are very well organized. The Dr. was thrurough and polite...he answered every question in full details and offered plenty of reading materials for my research....He looks like he is very confident in what he does. His nurse Rashida is a sweetheart! If you are still looking for a Dr. maybe you should see him for a consult. =o)

Unfortunately I cannot get LapBand because I have LPR but he suggested a vertical sleeve which I may consider.

Ok cool! I called to make an appt last wednesday. They suggested I go to the info session this Tues and then call back to begin the process by setting up an appt for the next available time. i am excited! if u dont mind me asking, what is lpr? the reason u stated u cant have surgery? im not good with all the lingo yet! Thank you so much for ur suggestion and thanks for the update

Oh that's great! Let me know how it went..

Lpr stands for Laryngopharyngeal Reflux Disease... The best way I could describe it... Acid reflux on steroids!!! It's an awful heartburn like sensation acompanied by a horrible cough and indigestion. My case is pretty bad so it requires surgery. The surgery would be done in the same area where the lapband is to be placed so the lapband is out of the question.

Is the vertical sleeve your ultimate choice or are you still "shopping around"?

Aww well im sorry to hear about that. At this point unless the doc says otherwise, i am only considering lapband. If im not mistaken, it is the only reversible method as well as the one that requires no cutting/rerouting of major organs. Im not a fan of the larger procedures. Also i have one child and in the nxt decade wld consider another and i know lapband can b adjusted accordingly. So thats just my take on things.:cursing:

The lapband was my first choice as well for the same reason that you mentioned (except having more kids...I have 3). So far i think it is the only reversible proceedure but for me it's either get the "sleeve" or continue my struggle with weight. I would not consider a bypass at all unless my life was at stake. Just the way I feel.

Say, did you ever go to that meeting on Tuesday?

Say, did you ever go to the meeting on Tuesday?

Hey,

I def. understand. You have to do what is best for you medically and otherwise! If the doc says Im not a great candidate for Lap-band, then I will reconsider my options and see what else I can do! Yea I went to Mt.Sinai's info session yesterday and it was really informative. I still have some apprehension, but got a lot of great info. My original exposure to Lap-band came from a girl who had it done. She's actually a spokesperson for the system. She told me the pros and cons. We're around the same age, so I decided to check into it. Right now, I'm just dealing with some negativity mainly from my brother. He is just extremely skeptical about what he considers to be "fad" weight loss surgery. He's never been overweight a day in his life and has never known what it feels like to be in my shoes, let alone a FEMALE in the same position. I havent talked to my parents yet, b/c I know they will b skeptical. Honestly my weight is out of control and I need help with discipline and gettin my eating and health back on track! So I know lap-band can't fix everything, but I know it will help me get further than I can by myself. :smile2: Keep me updated on the sleeve and anything else u might consider