Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 month goals and weight loss, newbie needs help

Hey everyone, this is my first post!!!:)

I was banded on Monday, June 28. I feel great just a few days post-op. I am trying to decide how to make my goal for my 3 month anniversary. I have heard people say anything from 5lbs a month to 20lbs a month. I weigh 264 lbs and I am 27. I also will resume my workout routine in a week or so.

Should I keep goals low,(easily atainable), or reach for the stars?

I would love to be down to my wedding day weight for my 7th anniversary:wub:. I weighed 205 and its on October 24th. Is this possible? in 3 1/2 months? 60lbs?

Want to be optimistic, but not unrealistic. Any success stories and/or tips would be great!!!

The weight will fall off if you can get active, do as much cardio as you possibly can and dont start weight training for 2 months or so. I was banded feb. 24th of this year and I am down 105lbs!! I lost 30lbs the first another 30 the second 20 the third 15 the fourth and 10 going into the fifth. I am a 31 yr old male and I am looking to get to a goal weight of 210-220 and weigh 234 now so it is slowing down. I say reach for the stars but also dont beat yourself down if you are unable to get to your goal, it takes time. Also I had to go the first 2.5 months without a fill and with an empty band, eat like you have restriction and stay away from the bad foods and you WILL get to your goals. Wish the best of luck to you and congrats on your new friend the band!!!!

Everyone is different, and I know I had high hopes for the beginning months and the weight didn't fall off right away for me. It sometimes take 3 months to get your band at the right restriction. I've been banded for 6 months and I've lost 50 pounds so far, I started at 263 and I'm now at 211. I had a 2 month period where my weight loss basically stalled out and I didn't lose more then 3 pounds a month.

I'm not trying to discourage you, If you work hard (I didn't work out as much in the beginning as I do now so that will definitely help) you can do it, but I just hate for someone to have such high expectations, especially right after being banded. I found the first month or two tricky learning the band, getting fills, eating differently etc.

I think 60 pounds in 3.5 months is a lofty goal. I would expect about 10 pounds a month. Just think, anything more will be bonus. You sound like you know all the right things to do. Make it your goals to eat according to your eating plan and excersise almost daily. Good luck!

I am 4 months post-op today and 40 pounds down.

I think setting goals is great but deadline goals such as three months or 3 years are dangerous.

If you make that goal, great!! What if you miss it by a little or a lot? Depression; frustration and a sense of failure set in. Is it worth it?

I am at 3 months and 1 week and have lost 24 lbs. At month 2 I hit a plateau and didn't lose for 3 weeks. But once it started again, I've been dropping. I lost 6 pounds in June (went for my 3rd fill yesterday) and am looking forward to more. I have 3 cc's of Fluid in my band now.

Edited by CharmedMist