Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm Scared - Need support

Ok...So...Like all of us here, I've spent all my life trying to lose the weight. I am 3 weeks post op and since I am now moving on to solids, the weight loss is slowing down. Today I had a moment thinking WHY would the band help? Nothing else did. Then it I started freaking out about it all and the fact that I spent all this money and it might not work (self pay). I know from reading the board that right now is the "bandster Hell" time until my first fill on July 24th. I am also worried because my work schedule is so all over the place that I don't have much time for exercise (husband and I own a day care that has 200 children). I won't have a normal work schedule until Aug. and then I can schedule a set time to exercise. I'm scared!!!! What if it doesn't work?!:):)

Edited by newstacy09

Hang in there. We have all had those feelings. You need to look at it differently. The band does not "work" - you work the band! It is your tool and you make choices with it. Right now, you are healing and not restricted enough. Once you get more restriction, the band will help you feel more satisfied with smaller amounts, allowing you to be less tempted (the temptation never goes away, of course) and you have the opportunity to make good choices. The choices you make are up to you!

Exercise is important, but you can only do what you can do. You don't have to look at it as a 30-60 minute dedicated time. Surely you take 5 minutes to go to the bathroom - you have to do that. Look at your exercise like that - take 5 minutes to walk. Look at it as a "have to". If you do that 3 times a day, you are exercising 15 minutes per day. That is a start.

I know I went through this fear before and after surgery. I have always been a failure at weight loss even though I am successful in most everything else in my life. I was sure this would be just one more failure. But I have lost 50 pounds and done some exercising and look and feel so much better.

You can do it too! Keep reading and posting - it really helps me.

Good luck!:)

You said it when you said you were in Bandster Hell. I was there too at one time. Didn't lose weight for almost three weeks! The weight will come off. The band is a tool and I have been learning..it is effective!

I like Froggie's idea...split your exercise up into small increments. I still trick myself. I'll tell myself I'm going to walk for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, I figure..why not do another 10 minutes..it really works! I know it's hard to find time. I work as a nurse full time and go to school part time. Exercise is what got my weight loss going again.

Hang in there...you'll get the weight off! Good luck Stacy! :)

Thanks for the posts! I am realizing that this is a learning process. (A hard learning process!) Thank you for the support! I am going to split up my exercise time for the month of July just like you suggested! Thanks!!!:)

Bandster Hell is unfortunately a necessary evil because our bodies need time to heal. Remember "this too shall pass" and you will get through it. I just have to caution you, though, to not expect it to be completely resolved with one fill. It sometimes takes several fills before you really feel you are where you're supposed to be. And sometimes you get your fill and you feel great restriction for 2 weeks and then it suddenly feels like you're back in bandster hell. But, again, with time and patience you will get there. It is a slow process, but like you said, a learning process. It's taken me 15 months to lose 62 lbs but I am in such a better place mentally and physically. A year from now you'll look back and see how far you've come. My lifestyle has improve 100% and I'm so thankful for this wonderful tool. Best of luck to you on your journey. Oh, one more thing... if you continue to tell yourself you're going to fail you are going to get exactly what you expect. I tell myself every day that I will reach my goal of 98 lbs and I'm getting there slowly but surely. You CAN and you WILL do this!

I felt the same way 2 days ago. My family and I were shopping and they said they were starving! (let them be on liquids for 10 days!) So we went to the waffle house, not the best place but thats what they wanted, and do you know what they ordered?! My favorite sandwhich that they serve, cheese steak!!! And as I was looking around everyone laughing and eating. I thought what the hell was I thinking, everyone in here is heavy. Whats the big deal? I should just just stay fat and happy.

I had to stop and have a talk with myself (crazy I know) but I had the lap band to improve my health! Be around to see my kids and grandkids grow up! Had to shake off those negative thoughts and look towards the positive!

I'm going to Red Lobster with my best friend next week. I love the advice from another column. Ask for a to-go box when placing your order! Then immediately put half your food in it when it arrives. Thank God that advice was there. I am so easily influenced in a social setting. I have to think it out before I get there. I'm worth it.

Yall it's all gonna be okay. Like they all said, it's gonna take time before you get to your sweet spot and then you will be eating a lot less. I have been conditioned over time to eat less and less because it gets really uncomfortable to eat more than I should. I am learning to do other things besides eat. Take the time to start loving yourself and your body. Learn how to eat the foods your body needs and how to get all of the Water you need to take care of your health and skin. It's all gonna be alright... I went through all of your same frustrations the first months. Had I known then what I know now, I would have given myself a break and learned how to practice patience.