Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Famished at 4:00pm

I was banded 2 1/2 years ago and I am 30 pounds from my goal. I have no problems with Breakfast or lunch and drinking much more Water that before I was banded. However, at 4:00pm I am absolutely famished no matter how much or what I have for my noon meal. I wind up snacking until dinner time. I am not sure if I should have my dinner then and a light snack about 6:30 or how to handle this. Suggestions please.

You should have a planned healthy snack that carries you over until dinner time. My dietician recommends fruit, muesli bar, tuna, vegie Soup,salad or something similar.

Most people cannot manage on 3 meals per day and a small healthy afternoon snack is perfectly acceptable. the key is to plan what and make sure it is healthy rather than just going back and fore to the fridge for the mindless snacking.

Hi, you didn't specify in your post if your surgeon's plan allows for snacking. My surgeon's plan does not include snacking. I would say that if you are truly hungry at 4pm, I would eat dinner at that time if you are able. Then, if your plan allows for snacking, a healthy snack (if needed) a bit later. Although, I would think if you eat dinner earlier, focusing on your Proteins first, you may not need it!

Good luck!

Most surgeons plans don't include snacking. However when you talk to them most will acknowledge that to go for 7 hours without food is for most not achievable.They would far prefer you to eat something healthy that will tide you over than to do the kind of mindless snacking that you may have done in the past.

I went in today for my first fill and had a meeting with the dietician. She suggested that I eat 3 meals and 2 Protein Snacks per day. For the snacks she said it should be either meat, dairy, egg, nuts(only one serving a day) or a Protein Bar. Today, I am only permitted Clear Liquids, tomorrow puree then soft and then the diet plan the dietician suggested. I can't wait to get started!!!!

Definitely have a healthy snack if you are really hungry.

You know, I've struggled so much with this. I have been a healthy low weight now for 2 and a half years and I *STILL* feel guilty for eating! I feel like I should have skipped breakfast or that having a small snack at morning tea time is an indulgence. We do have to eat! If you're hungry, you need food.

However, when did this hunger start? Is it something that's crept up of late, something that could indicate its time for a tiny fill perhaps?

I dont think you should fill just becuase you get hungry - I think the attitude that the band will prevent hunger is pretty dysfunctional. It is a biological function that we shouldnt be trying to eradicate by running off for a fill at every rumble. But if its problematic and really strong, then it might be time.

My doctor also doesn't allow for snacking. But she says it happens and if I really need something opt for very high proterin. I have a advant edge Protein Shake in chocolate.. Usually just half does the trick. Very low cals and high protein..keeps me satisfied til dinner

My Nut approved having a fat free Chobani greek yogurt with fruit for an afternoon snack. I add about 2 tablespoons vanilla Protein powder and some splendra. FF Greek Yogurt is sour (in my opinion). So for less than 200 calories I am getting about 30 grams of Protein with some fruit. I need to have a late afternoon snack. I have lunch around noon go to the gym at 6, and don't get dinner until 8. There is no way I could go that long and go to the gym without eating. '

As noted above most doctors say no Snacks, but I think that is because they don't think fat people can make good choices and/or eat small amounts. 200 calories of Yogurt is different than a Snicker bar. Oh how I love snickers sigh!

Is it something that's crept up of late, something that could indicate its time for a tiny fill perhaps?

I dont think you should fill just becuase you get hungry - I think the attitude that the band will prevent hunger is pretty dysfunctional. It is a biological function that we shouldnt be trying to eradicate by running off for a fill at every rumble. But if its problematic and really strong, then it might be time.

If you don't have adequate restriction then perhaps a fill is in order. BUT... We can't be afraid to eat! Eating too little food is just as bad - arguably worse - than eating too much. food is fuel period.

As noted above most doctors say no Snacks, but I think that is because they don't think fat people can make good choices and/or eat small amounts. 200 calories of Yogurt is different than a Snicker bar. Oh how I love snickers sigh!

I agree that most doc's reasoning for no Snacks is because they fear the slippery slope theory. We got here because we weren't in control, so allowing snacks to an out of control eater is probably not the best approach. But once you commit to a lifestyle change I would strongly urge you to have a discussion with your doc and/or nut about healthy snacks.

I eat best when I eat small amounts every few hours rather than scheduled meals. There is no good reason for a bandster with restriction to have legitimate hunger.

Brad

My surgeon is a three-meal-a-day kind of guy. And that doesn't really work for me. I plan a couple of Snacks into each day that help me meet my nutritional needs, and are timed to prevent runaway hunger.

That said, now that I'm at a good level of restriction, that hunger is hugely reduced.

Have you explored, with your doctor, whether you're at the right fill level for you?

I was told that the band will make you feel full and comfortable for 4 hours. Sooo...doing the math that makes hunger at 4 after a noon meal understandable. Normal people...and we are all striving for normal, right?...have developed teatime and even after school Snacks to tide over until a later supper. I can't even get all my calories and Protein in without a snack either in the afternoon or evening. Plus a life without snacks? Afternoon coffee with friends? I'd feel deprived and find myself slurping down my son's ice cream at 2am in despair. I agree with Bambam and Honk that doctors reflexively think snack = potato chips, Cookies, and other bad...I mean, non-nutritional, things. (we can discuss the new trend in 100 calorie packs = rewards at a later date). If pressed they will also say that Protein Shakes, a slice of deli roast beef, or chicken can be a good thing, and if planned for, are part of a healthy program.