Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What kind of pets?

I know most people who have pets like to brag them up, so here is your opportunity.

DH and I are owned by a 1 year old AKC registered Red and White Basset Hound named Ethan James. We also have a 9 year old Black Labrador named Harley who lives in Michigan with my folks. He was raised on the farm and will remain there. Now please share your stories.

I love Bassets! I have wanted one for so long...actually...someday I want to maybe raise them. My first pair will be named Fred and Flash. If you want to know where the names come from ask me.

Right now I own a miniature long haired daschund named Daisy. She is 11 months old and so incredibly sweet! She is chocolate/cream dapple and brings much excitement to our house. We also have a 14 year old cat named Buddy and 2 dwarf hamsters named Bert and Ernie (my kids named them). I don't like the things, but as long as I don't have to deal with them, it's alright by me. I read somewhere they only live for about 1-2 years (I'm not sure how old they are now as they were given to the boys) so I"m happy with that.

Thanks for asking!

I am guessing Fred cam from that old movie with Jerry whats his name and Flash came from the Dukes of Hazard. Ethan was named from the town we bought him in and Harley was named after the motorcycle. I used to have two hamsters named Ford (male) and Chevy (female) they got together and produced a litter of Dodges. I do believe they do only live 2-4 years. Ford used to like to watch TV.

We adopted our Susie, Lab/Shepard mix 10 years ago, she is the best dog I ever ever had. She is tan&white with BIG yoda ears. I also have 2 gold fish (feeders) that are 1 year old and started out the size of a tootsie roll midgie and now are the size of my hand LOL !!! I can't imagine life without a pet.

Oh...does DH count?

I have a HUGE long haired black cat, 7 years old, named Hobbes, he is almost 25 pounds, I think he needs a band too. Then we have a hemi kitty named CoCo, he is 4 years old. )(he is my hubbies kitty) Both of the boys are from the same shelter, adopted at different times. I actually call CoCo the Karma kitty as I had adopted him just 10 minutes before I was finally approved for my band. I guess what they say is true, what goes around comes around. I saved him and now my band is saving me. We also have 2 sugar gliders, if you are not aware of what they are do a google search for them, they are really cute and sweet. Gipetto and Slider (gliders) were also a rescue, I drove to Detroit in a snow storm last year to save them, it took me almost 3 hours to get there and then over 5 to get home, they are totally worth it. And hubby had a 55 gallon fish tank with assorted fishies in it, not really my thing, but it is really pretty. ~Mandy

I have a harelip border collie mix named Merlin (pix attached). He's just over a year old, and very sweet. I'm cat people and never really wanted a dog, but John (DH) and I went to PetSmart one Saturday almost a year ago, and there he was. The momma dog didn't want him. He couldn't nurse cause the milk would run out his nose. He was bottle fed, and at 3 months no one had adopted him. He loves everyone, including my cats.

I also have two cats. Peanutbutter is 11 years old, a long-haired calico. Coo is 7 years old, a gray & black tabby mix. Neither of them can stand poor Merlin, but so far we've been able to establish an amicable co-existence.

post-205095-13813132427511_thumb.jpg

I have my lab Astro, he used to be a golden lab, but my old yellow dog is so old he's no longer yellow. He just turned 16 years old, which in big dog years is dead. :) I'm going to have to put him down soon, which will break all our hearts. We got him 6 years ago, and he's brought such joy to us. Because of him I simply cannot look through the book "for the love of an old dog" without tearing up.

DH has a pair of chinchillas, both males. We have a new neighbor with 3 cats, but 2 of those cats have decided that they live here. One wants to live in the dog food bin :) DH says at night the cats will scratch at the french doors trying to get in, and when that doesn't work, they will sit and meow for a while trying to get someone to let them in. Pretty funny. They also have chinchillas, and one got away and DH found it in our kitchen.

Ethan is SOOO adorable! I can't wait to have a bassett of my very own. Yes, you're correct about the names Flash and Fred. Smokey & the Bandit is where Fred comes from and Flash is from The Dukes of Hazzard. 'Ol Velvet ears! Thanks for sharing the pics. I'll try to post of my Daisy when I get home.

Hey GUYS!! I love this thread! I have a 1 1/2 year old Pug (AKC registered) named Pudge Da Man, an orange tabby cat named Jaded Tyler (Jaded after the Aerosmith song, and Tyler after a friend of mine whose b-day party I missed because I had to take care of my new kitty), a purple beta fish named Myrtle Mae (After the character in "Harvey") and a Border Collie named Roxzey (Roxanne) Jane (After the girl who gave it to us, and Jane because I just like that name) and OH I'd say about 30 rabbits (all the boys' names are Harvey (after "Harvey"), and the girls' names are all either Mama, Foxy, or Sexygal) Lol I know, but how do you name all these rabbits right? Ok well, I got to BRAG! Yay. most people dont wanna hear about them, and basically think its ridiculous that I treat my pets like children lol!

Hey Jodie, I also have a pug. His name is Lou (as in Grant). We also had a younger pug named Baxter (as in Ted), but the poor thing died from respiratory failure at only 2 years old.

I will try to attach my picture of Lou after he had a hard day-hopefully it works

ok guys, I have the prettiest dog in the entire house!!lol

I have a black and white cocker Spaniel her color is called 'party mix' named Mia.

She is a SPOILED dog!! but she does go to time out when she get's in trouble, just like my human kids do!! haha

how did you guys attach a picture?? If I can get instructions I will post a pic of her so you can all revel in her beauty...:)

We have a little zoo! The 1st in line is Dharma, my Bichon Frise. She and DH were babies together. Then, my aunt died and we inherited her Airedale Terrier, Annie. Perky, your basic tiger-stripe cat fell from the sky and showed up beside the garage about 4 years ago, right after the death of my long-time cat friend, Athena. I wanted another cat, so DH and DD adopted one; her name is Snuggles, and she is a long hair tortoiseshell. Then, a beautiful long hair gray male kitten decided he would rather live here than two doors down with the toddler triplets, so we took him. His name is Slatey. He was the only guy around here besides DH. Finally, Dharma had a fling with a Min. Schnauzer down the block, and resulted in 4 puppies. We kept one, Mickey. He's a 9 month old black and white min schnauzer...nothing about him looks like a Bichon. Total: 3 dogs, 3 cats, 2 geckos, and 1 old red beta fish. Crazy!

Ror all those cat lovers, here's our kitty named J.P. The pope had just died the day we got him, so my daughter named him John Paul out of respect. What was I going to do?

post-204819-13813132433206_thumb.jpg