Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just got banded 5/25! Anyone else on or close to this date so we can be buddies?

My date was May 25th as well. I am having some pain and a little swelling when I move around to much. I have lost 16.5 pounds. Are you having any cravings? Are you still doing liquids? Please let me know how you are doing!

I was banded on 5/21 so I'm into my third week. I did full liquids for two weeks and now into soft foods. All my bandages are gone, they fell off last week. My port site bothers me if I sit for a long time. Otherwise I really don't feel any different which is kind of weird. I don't think there's any restriction at all, but I feel full at a cup of food. I went to a party this weekend and had a glass of wine. I have had all the usual food cravings but it's easy to say no. I just tell myself that I didn't have surgery for nothing! I've only lost about 7 pounds since the surgery, 15 all together. I'm going for my first post op dr. visit on the 30th, we'll see if I get a fill or not.

My brother had this surgery last Aug. and has not EVER had a fill!! The doctor said as long as he's losing weight and feeling full there's no reason to do it. And he has been. Pretty amazing compared to what I've read about people getting fills.

It's really clear to me that the band is a tool, it's not the total answer. It still takes awareness and desire to choose the right foods.

Here's something I made for dinner that was good/soft--a quiche with ricotta cheese/eggs/spinach/onions/cheddar cheese. No crust. It gave me a lot of Protein and some veg. And it was very easy to eat.

Hey guys!

I was banded May 23rd. I'm doing good. The first few days after surgery kinda sucked. I had incredible back pain (gas) but other than that I was only having pain at the port site incision. I thought that was kind of interesting... At this point all of my incisions are healed and my back pain was gone three days after surgery. I'm up to soft foods at this point and have lost 11 pounds so far. At the moment I'm pretty much at a stand still and I don't expect to lose much if any more weight until my first fill.

My doc said that the healing process for me was really fast but that was probably just because I'm so young.

Hi Kimba, thanks for sharing that your port site is sore as well. Hopefully that means it is normal. Can you feel your port site under your skin when you touch the area with your hand? I can easily feel mine, it is very close to the surface of my skin (I currently weigh 228 pounds). I'm afraid that when all the swelling goes down, the port will be visible. My port site is least sore when I'm laying down and most sore when sitting. Interstingly, as someone else noted on this blog, I am most comfortable when sleeping on my side that the port is located on. My surgery was on 6/2- I'm not taking any pain medicines but am very tired and sometimes feel light-headed and/or sick to my stomach, does/did anyone else have similiar symptoms 6 days or so post-op?

I have pain in my port site. The worst is when I'm sitting and wearing jeans. I think the jeans push the port up a little. I've only felt light headed one and it happened to be today. And I seem to only get a nauseous feeling when it's time to eat. Once I eat I'm fine!

I'm still losing! I'm not so eagerly awaiting Bandster Hell.. I really enjoy the restriction I have right now and do not want it to go away!

Hi BelmontLil and everyone else! I am a chat/blog virgin - so here goes! I had my surgery 5/24 (I'm an Aussie and hope I did the date right...) Anyway yes the gas pain was baaad for 3 or 4 days after the surgery. I did feel full for the first time in my life after eating the clear Fluid diet. I am now thru mushies and into solid food. I have really had to change my eating habits - instead of chomping and gulping - chew, chew, chew and then some. I haven't had any vomiting. After the surgery when I got home I had psyllium in warm Water to get the bowels moving with great success, but I drank too much once and felt so ill and bloated - it was a good lesson in not eating too much at once. I am a Coeliac (celiac in America I think) - can't have wheat, oats, barley, rye or it destroys the villi in the small intestine, and you get malapsorption. I have had great success with gluten free bread. best wishes to everyone

Hi Lil, I just got banded on 6/2! I'm healing well but have the opposite problem, my band is not offering any restriction yet. However, I have lost 5 pounds since my surgery Wednesday b/c of the strict diet they have us on post surgery. I'm hungry, but remaining strong! No side effects from band thus far- just very sore at the port site... and gas in stomach and shoulder pain from it. Found a stretch that got rid of shoulder pain, however (pulling elbow behind head with opposite hand). How is your port site feeling? :(

My band is offering NO restriction either yet :eek: and I was banded yesterday. Hoping the 3 week liquid post-op diet will help with my cravings. Yesterday while I was in the hospital after my surgery I was starving. Got home and I was starving~ I just wanted to eat. Today not so hungry but in alot of pain on my port side.

Hi Kimba, thanks for sharing that your port site is sore as well. Hopefully that means it is normal. Can you feel your port site under your skin when you touch the area with your hand? I can easily feel mine, it is very close to the surface of my skin (I currently weigh 228 pounds). I'm afraid that when all the swelling goes down, the port will be visible. My port site is least sore when I'm laying down and most sore when sitting. Interstingly, as someone else noted on this blog, I am most comfortable when sleeping on my side that the port is located on. My surgery was on 6/2- I'm not taking any pain medicines but am very tired and sometimes feel light-headed and/or sick to my stomach, does/did anyone else have similiar symptoms 6 days or so post-op?

Yeah, my port site is still sore. I can feel it easily under my skin as well. It doesn't hurt when I'm laying on my back but if I lay on my side, it hurts a lot. I think because my stomach is pushing out and pulling on it. If I hug a pillow to my abdomen, it helps. I think it's pretty normal and I doubt you'll be able to see it when you're all healed up.

Hello Everyone...

I am new to this...so please work with me on this....Okay I was banded on May 25th. I have been on liquids 2 weeks before and now my doctor wants me to still be on liquids until June 21st when I go in for my first fill. I am shaky, dizziness, crying, tired and just feeling HORRIBLE. Has anyone started there "mushy foods" yet and how far out from surgery did you start? I am having my Protein Shakes, Soups, Water, jell-o.....I need some serious thoughts on what you may have or are going through. And if this in normal....

AGH...

Hello Everyone...

I am new to this...so please work with me on this....Okay I was banded on May 25th. I have been on liquids 2 weeks before and now my doctor wants me to still be on liquids until June 21st when I go in for my first fill. I am shaky, dizziness, crying, tired and just feeling HORRIBLE. Has anyone started there "mushy foods" yet and how far out from surgery did you start? I am having my Protein shakes, Soups, Water, jell-o.....I need some serious thoughts on what you may have or are going through. And if this in normal....

AGH...

that seems really extreme. I was getting shaky, and dizzy about 6 days after my surgery and made the executive decision to switch myself to mushies- slowly and carefully and it solved the problem. I would talk to your Doc though.

My band is offering NO restriction either yet :( and I was banded yesterday. Hoping the 3 week liquid post-op diet will help with my cravings. Yesterday while I was in the hospital after my surgery I was starving. Got home and I was starving~ I just wanted to eat. Today not so hungry but in alot of pain on my port side.

I woke up after surgery starving as well, and still really hungry the next day. For some reason the hunger subsided for several days but is starting to come back now. It seems so long to the first fill!!

Does anyone have a golf ball sized hard knot under their port incision site (I'm 8 days post-op) which is not visible to the eye but can be felt by the hand?