Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared of getting fills and being stuck after

So I am on mushies still and I get my first fill in 2 weeks. While I was eating something a few days ago, it got stuck!!!! Idk if it was too dry or too big of a bite or what. It was the worst feeling possible, like someone took a knife and put it threw me. Everytime I tried to swallow it hurt so I just went out back and walked and walk until it passed.

The whole point of the band is so that you can only eat a certain amount of food and it keeps you full for 4-5 hours right? Well currently my band is doing that for me. Could it be possible that I really can lose some weight without a fill? It scares me that I can already get stuck, if my band is already doing what its suppose to do, do I really want to make it tighter and run the risk of feeling that horrible pain again?!

So I am on mushies still and I get my first fill in 2 weeks. While I was eating something a few days ago, it got stuck!!!! Idk if it was too dry or too big of a bite or what. It was the worst feeling possible, like someone took a knife and put it threw me. Everytime I tried to swallow it hurt so I just went out back and walked and walk until it passed.

The whole point of the band is so that you can only eat a certain amount of food and it keeps you full for 4-5 hours right? Well currently my band is doing that for me. Could it be possible that I really can lose some weight without a fill? It scares me that I can already get stuck, if my band is already doing what its suppose to do, do I really want to make it tighter and run the risk of feeling that horrible pain again?!

Part of the stuck feeling, like you said could be that you ate too big of a bite, or it was too dry. But I would suggest that you call your Dr and let him/her know that you are losing, and having stuck episodes. They may decide to push back your first fill as you are losing still. But a lot can change in 2 weeks. Since you are still in the mushies stage that could be the reason for your loss. Once you get back to solids, you will learn very quickly when a bite is too big or too dry so as not to get stuck. Plus, when you go back on solid foods, you take in more calories. Also, you may still have some swelling from the surgery itself, which is giving you restriction. That may be gone in 2 weeks. Maybe wait a week or so, and then if you still have the same problem, let your Dr know that you don't think a fill would be a good idea. you can always push it back a week, just to give your body more time to adjust. Good luck!

You haven't mentioned if your doc gave you a fill at surgery. Being stuck is not pleasant but it shouldn't happen often. I agree that if you are still losing in 2 weeks and are not getting too hungry, it would be OK to reschedule your appt.

Keep posting and let us know how you do.

Mimi

Yes, it is possible that you won't need a fill right away. The decision to fill is based on a couple of things: your rate of loss, and your perceived difficulty achieving that loss. In other words, if you are starving all the time, find that the amount you are able to eat only satisfies you for a short time, and are really white-knuckling it to lose weight then yes, you likely need a fill. If you're comfortable as you lose, then you may not.

But don't let fear hold you back if you feel as though you'd benefit from a fill. User error occurs regardless of fill error---there just are foods that sometimes do not 'work' for us---no matter what. Each of us tends to have our own list, but there are some common offenders, too.

I have had 4 fills. After the first 2, I perceived NO difference in terms of propensity for foods to get stuck. The third one did more in terms of teaching me what behaviors I had not yet mastered--the really slowing down to listen, after each bite, to whether I am done. You know, the user error type stuff.

Your doctor can help you decide whether you want a fill. If you can postpone it because you don't need it, that's great!

You haven't mentioned if your doc gave you a fill at surgery. Being stuck is not pleasant but it shouldn't happen often. I agree that if you are still losing in 2 weeks and are not getting too hungry, it would be OK to reschedule your appt.

Keep posting and let us know how you do.

Mimi

No my band is unfilled. I got stuck again last night and it was even worse!! I think im going to hold off on the fill until the weight stops coming off and I feel that I really need it.

No my band is unfilled. I got stuck again last night and it was even worse!! I think im going to hold off on the fill until the weight stops coming off and I feel that I really need it.

That is probably a wise choice. Make sure that you don't let your Dr talk you into a fill if you aren't ready for one. Great job on the loss again!

I had no fill from surgery and I had quite a bit of restiction. I lost good weight. I was scheduled to have my first fill at four weeks out and put it off a week. I talked with the doc and we decided only to do 1.5 cc even though he usually does at least 2 cc at the first fill. I was also really fearful of being over restricted.

With that fill, I was restricted until just the last few days. I will be at 8 weeks this wednesday and scheduled for a fill June 10. I am really looking forward to this one.

Your swelling from surgery can cause restiction for up to 6 weeks, they told me. It takes quite a while to heal totally.

Just work with your doctor. They want you to lose weight but do not want you to be over restricted and getting stuck or vomiting. Tell them about your fears and how your eting and weight loss is going. It is a negotiation and each person is different.