Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Excess skin

I'm assuming after losing 150lbs i'm going to need a Tummy Tuck to get rid of the excess belly skin that has stretched over the years.

or does the skin shrink as you lose weight?

does it make a difference if you lose quickly or slowly?

did anyone get a tt or do you just live with the loose skin?

I'll chime in here: I think it helps to lose the weight slower but some people well I should say alot of people end up with loose skin no matter what. I had a TT 4 or 5 years before I got the band so the bottom of my tummy has held up pretty good if I do say so myself but the top is wrinkley and I could really use another one and I always say my inner thighs look like the mudd flaps on the back of a semi.:rolleyes: I think that's what bothers me the most. I've also had a breastlift and reduction. For some reason the Doctor took me down to a B cup:cursing: so about 6mo. after being banded I went back in for implants and it brought me back to a DD and now that I've gotten so much smaller my breast look hugh. Don't get me wrong I luv my breast. But they just look really big now. So the advice I will give you is just wait and see exactly what your body is going to do before you decide on Plastic surgery. I am all self pay and between 3 breast surgeries the lap band and the prior Tummy Tuck I am about $30 grand into this and that's not counting on going fills so I just don't see how to justify spending anymore on PS even though I would love to have another TT and inner Thigh lift I'm pretty sure it won't happen. Hope this helps you at least a little bit. Lots of luck!!

I actually believe that how your skin reacts to weight loss depends a ton on 2 things....your age, and genetics.

If you are young your skin tends to have more elasticity and will rebound better than if you were older.

Whether you get a TT or not completely depends on how you feel (mentally and physically, in my opinion) with the skin left after you lose your weight. I have lost 100 lbs and will be attending my 2nd consultation with a plastic surgeon next week. I don't like my belly !! It makes me feel and look fat so I have decided that in order to feel better about myself I want to have something done about it.

We shall see....

P~

I agree it all depends on your age and skin type. Some people are more lucky than others.

I am 46 and have decided that I will never be a nude model. My husband loves me no matter what and I look REALLY good in clothes. I am laughing, but it is true.

I could go for a TT, I can afford it and still may. But for now I will enjoy my summer, wearing not so short shorts and think about it.

Secretly, I am waiting for the 'skin shrinking machine'. My banded friend laughs at me when I say that. I figure if I start, I might not stop. I could do the inner thighs, I could do the arms, I want some face work in the future, but bah! I think I will just accept myself and remind myself that I would way rather have slightly sagging skin than be fat again.

Let us know what you decide. I will do same. Maybe TT for my 50th......:thumbup:

There's another factor too. Did your skin just expand or did you rip it? stretch marks do not just go away.

I've started putting a little aside for the plastic surgery that I will inevitably need.

i have some streatch marks on my lower belly but mostly it just expanded not too many marks on my upper belly :thumbup:

i guess i'll wait and see what happens :smile2:

i'm paying enough for this to then pay for a TT won't be any time soon

I lost 130 lbs and while a lot has shrunk back, some still has not. I want a Tummy Tuck but on my first consult they also showed me what they can do by going all around to lift my but and tighten the skin on my legs.... ohhhhhhhhh I liked the way that looked...not really sure what I willdo, but I will not rush into anything.