Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

:thumbup:Was banded 4/1/10. No problems with surgery. Came home that same day. Had my first fill last Mon., 5/17/10. Only got 2 cc instead of the normal 3 cc my Dr. usually gives due to some sticking problems. Since my fill I've lost 9 lbs. in 7 days. I'm afraid I may have to much restriction. I can only eat about 6-7 bites of food or small drinks at a time and then I feel full. When I do take either bigger sips or a little bitter bite I get a very discomfort feeling and it takes about 15-20 min. for it to go away. I did call my Dr. and the PA indicated that I may be almost at the "green" spot already. I guess my question is anybody else having this feeling after eating/drinking such small amount and got to the "sweet" spot as I call it on just a small fill. Thanks for letting me ramble on.

I'm having trouble with the tricker so here is my stats: pre-diet 3/18/10-227; surgery 4/1/10-207; 5/23/10-195; goal-140 for now. :tongue2:

Wow, I'm sorry I have no advice for you. I just had my first fill today and wow, I feel like I have absolutely no restriction at all! I'm starting to think my doctor is toying with me. He said to drink only liquids for two days, mushies for the next two days and then back to foods. However, by the time I got home from the his office I was STARVING. I drank a Protein shake and had absolutely no problems drinking the whole thing within a matter of minutes.

I don't know how much he put in my band, but I feel fine. I can eat normal and I think I'm going to be in this for a very very long time. I initially lost 12 pounds but have since gained back 3 of them. He told me to come back in 2 months. LOL!~ I think I'll probably gain it all back by then.

Did anyone else have NO restriction with the first fill. Maybe Dr. Nazarian is really conservative when he starts out. Well, there is no more fear of never being able to eat. I do have fear that I wont be able to stop eating though.

LOL! This is definitely going to require much more will power than I initially thought.

Wish you all the best with your success. :tongue2:

It's important to remember that we are all different. Additionally, I have heard that some Dr's put a little at the time of surgery. I was banded 12/15/09 and just had my 4th fill on 5/19 and am either at sweet spot or a little too full. My fills were 3-2-1-.5 for 6.5 in a 11 cc band. I lost 40# before my first fill, but only 5# with my first 3 fills and could eat anything in any quantity. Since 5/19, I have lost 9# and can only eat 1/2 to 3/4 cup of food. I am also finding many foods I can't tolerate now, but could with my first 3 fills. Like my Dr says, it's a slow process for most until the right adjustment is found. Hope that helps....Dan.

Jeez... I don't know what to expect when I go for my first fill on Wednesday. I don't know if there was anything put in my band when I had the surgery, either. I just hope I won't be hungry and not be able to eat.

I'll keep you posted.

Banded 5/3/10

weight.png

Darn it! I forgot to ask my doctor how much Fluid he put in my band. I have no idea. But he did say that he put a very small amount in at the time of surgery. I need to remember to speak up more the next time I see him, which will be in 2 months :smile2:

I'm so hungry! I have another day of soft, mushy foods to eat before I can go back to regular food.

I think you have to call your doctors office if you feel that uncomfortable! I had my fill 5.4cc in a 10cc band, I thought I had nothing and wow this morning told me differently! I ate two bites of egg salad and one cracker and I feel like I ate 3 eggs and 10 crackers! I feel almost over full! But I was told that in the mornings I will feel more restriction and in the evening a bit looser. So we shall see but wow what a difference!

I was surprised that my first fill was just 2.5...into an empty band. But my doctor does the first few two weeks apart. The second was only 1.25. He uses the fluoroscope so he can see the size of the pouch and the restriction. I will be away when the next one should be scheduled but am losing well...the next will be in 3 weeks. I think at a high BMI it takes more calories to maintain our weight than it would at a lower one...so I may need more restriction as I get closer to my goal. Right now the band is helping me deal with the diet...I still get hungry and can still snack. So a lot of it is up to me...to have some tea to help delay my snacking, to plan meals and Snacks ahead of time, and to remember to eat at a "normal" mealtime instead of waiting until I have the hungries to grab anything that is fast and easy...and usually low food value.

Seems to me you're eating basically what they say we should be eating with the band at adequate restriction level. I think the purpose is to lose initially since the quantity you're capable of eating has suddenly shifted. Your metabolism will adjust. I go for my first fill in 2 hours!! I'm looking fwd to some restriction. I have no idea how my weights been doing in the last 3 weeks as I only weigh in at his office. But I feel like I've either gained or not lost any since my initial 30lbs. I can eat anything & now 6weeks in will power is fading. Any amount of restriction would be welcomed as I know it helped my first 2-3wks post op curb my appetite! As long as you're not constantly vomiting or unable to at least keep fluids down I wouldn't worry too much. Keep in mind to make good food choices since you only get a couple ounces at a time, each bite counts.

I was banded on 5/3/10

I had my first fill (1cc) this morning. I just got home. It was done under fluoroscopy. I felt a pinch and a poke but nothing hurt. I drank some bitter stuff to make sure that it was going down into the pouch and emptying in to my stomach and I was outta' there.

I asked my doc and he said that he DID put SOME saline in when he installed the band on surgery day.

It cost me $75 out of pocket for the first fill.

I'm feeling fine but am on Clear Liquids for 24 hours, then full liquids and mushies for 24 hours... then back to normal food (as normal as LAP-BAND® food can be).

Just go with flow its appears to be working. You are eating little but that is normal. You are working your up to 4oz a meal. These fill experiences are so varied it can be confuseing. I did'nt have my first fill untill after 3 months and 45 lbs gone. So relax its very much a baby step thing you'll discover your normal in a while.

Just go with flow its appears to be working. You are eating little but that is normal. You are working your up to 4oz a meal. These fill experiences are so varied it can be confuseing. I did'nt have my first fill untill after 3 months and 45 lbs gone. So relax its very much a baby step thing you'll discover your normal in a while.

Thank you, it is very comforting to hear - the first little while post surgery is a bit trying and I know you really calmed me down.

I just had my first fill this morning. It was done in a hospital radiology department by a radiologist. I was initially given 4 cc in a 14 cc Allergan band. I didn't report any special sensation at that level and 3 cc more was inserted for a total of 7 cc. At that point I reported feeling tightness in my chest area as well as the urge to burp from the barium and 1/2 cc was unfilled. That seemed to feel OK to me and the procedure was finished. I was asked to sip Water and wait 20 minutes in the waiting room to be sure there were no ill after-effects and there were not.

It's about 4 hours later now and I'm having a Protein shake made with Crystal Light. It's going down OK, but I'm drinking it pretty slowly. I'm told not to eat solids for 48 hours, but at this point am not hungry anyway. It would sure be nice I think to (like the OP) get full on 6-7 bites after just one fill.

Edited by Katy517

I had my first fill yesterday. Like many of you, the doctor told me he put a little in during the surgery, and yesterday's fill was 1.5cc's. I could barely drink Water last night. This morning seems a little better. But boy do I feel full. I feel like I just pushed away from the table after Thanksgiving dinner. I know there is no way possible I have hit my sweet spot already, but wow. I don't even want to think about food, which in my 40 years of existence has never happened!

I just had my first fill today of 4 cc's in an 11cc band. not really feeling alot of restriction yet, but better than before..I swore I could have chewed my arm off!LOL! I had my surgery 5/4/10 and was just 4 weeks yesterday. Next fill is in 5 weeks, so we'll see how the next few weeks go. Have lost 27 lbs since preop diet, so not too shabby. I will just be happy to have the scale going down and not up!

So far this is one of the best decisions I have made! Off of 4 of 6 prescriptions I was on! yea! Best wishes to you all!!

Wow, I'm sorry I have no advice for you. I just had my first fill today and wow, I feel like I have absolutely no restriction at all! I'm starting to think my doctor is toying with me. He said to drink only liquids for two days, mushies for the next two days and then back to foods. However, by the time I got home from the his office I was STARVING. I drank a Protein shake and had absolutely no problems drinking the whole thing within a matter of minutes.

I don't know how much he put in my band, but I feel fine. I can eat normal and I think I'm going to be in this for a very very long time. I initially lost 12 pounds but have since gained back 3 of them. He told me to come back in 2 months. LOL!~ I think I'll probably gain it all back by then.

Did anyone else have NO restriction with the first fill. Maybe Dr. Nazarian is really conservative when he starts out. Well, there is no more fear of never being able to eat. I do have fear that I wont be able to stop eating though.

LOL! This is definitely going to require much more will power than I initially thought.

Wish you all the best with your success. :)

I'm SO glad that you wrote this! I was afraid that I was the only one! I was banded 3/10/2010 and well i originally lost 31 pounds right after my surgery within the first two months. This past month has been HORRIBLE because i'm hungry ALL the time and it seems like I literally have zero restriction. I haven't weighed myself, but i'm pretty sure that i gained at least a few pounds. I'm going for my first fill on Thursday and I'm reallllllllllllly hoping that I get full and can start losing weight again!