Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fear of eating in public at times?

Ever since I got restriction (7.7 cc in a 10cc band) I've been feeling full and losing weight. Most of the time I dont get stuck but there are some days where it just pops up out of no where and no matter how small of a bite I take, I feel uncomfortable which last for maybe 5 min

Eating out is the worse! Especially when theres no bathrooms lol..One time I went to BBQ'S and I felt uncomfortable. I was searching for the nearest bathroom just in case I needed to use it and when I looked over, it was packed! I got scared and started to eat realllyyyyy slow lol

Sometimes I feel like people are watching me. From the time I sit down till I get up. I usually get a salad at this pizza place and seating are extremly limited. I feel like their timing me like "damn this girl been sitting here eating a salad and shes not done yet? people need seats!" lol...I have to play around with my food at times or with my phone so it can look like im distracted and thats why im taking so long. From an outsider, they wouldnt understand why it would take someone 30 min- 1 hour just to eat a salad.

My birthday is sunday and I want to go to Red Lobsters. I feel the need to sit close to the bathroom just in case something doesnt want to go down lol

Im so concious of the band (which is a good thing) but I feel like I have a fear of eating in public at times

Sometimes I have no problem at all! But other days it just pops up. I stay away from certain foods such as hard meat and chineese food and other foods that I know wont go down

Getting an unfill is NOT an option for me lol Although I feel uncomfortable at times, I still get full for maybe 4 hours off small portions. I like the rate in which Im losing, it took me 9 months to get restriction and I dont want to mess it up

Anybody fear eating in public at times?

Edited by MsFab1988

I can totally relate!! I just got my fills right after being banded Dec. 29, 09. I am so afraid to eat in public. I never know when I will get plugged!!! :) It is not a pretty sight, oh my!! My hsb. loves to eat out, but I've told him to give a little while to get use to this. Let me know if yours gets better.:thumbup:

I hope yours gets better too!

It's good for me to hear that it took you 9 months to get your restriction. I am going for my 4th fill and have been very discouraged that I have only lost 23 pounds since January when I had my surgery and most of what I have lost was from Pre and Post Op.

I too get nervous eating out. Mostly I order Soup when I can to be very safe. But I am just now getting some food stuck after 3 fills, I just hope that restriction comes soon because I am really struggling with Portion Control right now.

Thanks,

Deb

I totally understand what you're saying. I am very conscious about choosing foods that I know won't get stuck when we go out. For me, Soup or salad is always a safe bet. And, shrimp, crab, and most fish too. Plain cheese (no cracker) works too. At home, I'll eat chicken, steak, rice, and a lot of other stuff that I won't eat out just because sometimes it gets stuck and I don't want to be yakking something up in a public bathroom.

Its perfectly normal to feel that way, but yes it may take a while to get restriction especially if your doc doesnt like giving huge fills and they make you come back every 4-6 weeks. So yes we have to be patient in order to get restriction. But once you get it, Portion Control becomes sooo easy :thumbup:

It's good for me to hear that it took you 9 months to get your restriction. I am going for my 4th fill and have been very discouraged that I have only lost 23 pounds since January when I had my surgery and most of what I have lost was from Pre and Post Op.

I too get nervous eating out. Mostly I order Soup when I can to be very safe. But I am just now getting some food stuck after 3 fills, I just hope that restriction comes soon because I am really struggling with portion control right now.

Thanks,

Deb

yeah eating home is always safe thats where I try daring foods to see if I can eat it or not lol

I totally understand what you're saying. I am very conscious about choosing foods that I know won't get stuck when we go out. For me, Soup or salad is always a safe bet. And, shrimp, crab, and most fish too. Plain cheese (no cracker) works too. At home, I'll eat chicken, steak, rice, and a lot of other stuff that I won't eat out just because sometimes it gets stuck and I don't want to be yakking something up in a public bathroom.

I can definitely relate!

My husband and I LOVE eating out and trying new places. My Band...does not. The second we sit to eat, I get stuck...The only thing I've been 'ok' with eating have been onion rings and salads on occasion..

The second I get home with my left overs...I can eat just fine.

I guess it's a blessing in disguise?:thumbup:

lol I eat fine at home 2

Sigh. this is definitely the bad side of the band. I have a very well behaved band, generally speaking, and public pb's have only happened once or twice, once there was no bathroom available and I went sliming down the main street in Byron Bay, puking on the railway tracks, in the park etc all the way home. It was pretty awful, but also the only really bad not over in a second pb I've ever had in almost five years.

I actually think I could use a small top up fill after no fill for over a year. But I'm really enjoying my ability now I've gone back to full time work, to eat in the staffroom without undue fear of embarrassment. I havent told the other staff about my band, they're not people who knew me before. I just keep not getting that fill because I dont want to let go of the normality I've regained - and truth be told, I'm not sure it would be healthy to - I mean surely you've got to stop relying completely on the band sooner or later? I just figure if I gain, I'll be in there like lightening, lol.

Yes for some reason things that go down well at home can cause problems out.

If I'm out for lunch with a friend I try to stick to some kind of Pasta or fritatta as those don't seem to give me problems.

I went out a couple of months ago with my husband and son. Ordered lamb shank and had to get to the bathroom to PB. It was super soft and is something I can normally eat OK at home.The only thing that seems to make any sense is that I was drinking wine beforehand and maybe I didn't leave enough time before drinking and eating. I always used to think that the not drinking for 30 min before eating rule didn't make any sense but it seems that it can affect what and how much you can eat.

When I saw my dietician 2 weeks ago he said that it is often a cause of problems when people are out. They can't understand why they can't eat as much or the same as they can at home but it is often because they have been filling up with some kind of drink at the restaurant whilst waiting for their food.

Sometimes eating with other people can be a lot easier than expected. At Easter i went away with a group of friends that don't know about my band and I had no problems. That was a major relief.

lol I havent had a fill in like 2 months I feel like I should go back maybe next month lol I dont want to gain (even tho I already did gain these past 2 weeks) I think its time 4 a fill, but then again Im scared bc if I get any tighter, I may not eat out anymore...but maybe I should avoid eating out period, probably help me cut out calories and stuff lol ill eat out one I reach onederland!

Sigh. this is definitely the bad side of the band. I have a very well behaved band, generally speaking, and public pb's have only happened once or twice, once there was no bathroom available and I went sliming down the main street in Byron Bay, puking on the railway tracks, in the park etc all the way home. It was pretty awful, but also the only really bad not over in a second pb I've ever had in almost five years.

I actually think I could use a small top up fill after no fill for over a year. But I'm really enjoying my ability now I've gone back to full time work, to eat in the staffroom without undue fear of embarrassment. I havent told the other staff about my band, they're not people who knew me before. I just keep not getting that fill because I dont want to let go of the normality I've regained - and truth be told, I'm not sure it would be healthy to - I mean surely you've got to stop relying completely on the band sooner or later? I just figure if I gain, I'll be in there like lightening, lol.

Yeah maybe its the liquids we drink...cause sometimes I may get a glass of liquor if im at red lobsters or something...& yes eating with alot of people can be a lil easier bc it stalls time to eat slowly. You can talk and do other stuff without having to take bite after another bite, you naturally take your time

Yes for some reason things that go down well at home can cause problems out.

If I'm out for lunch with a friend I try to stick to some kind of Pasta or fritatta as those don't seem to give me problems.

I went out a couple of months ago with my husband and son. Ordered lamb shank and had to get to the bathroom to PB. It was super soft and is something I can normally eat OK at home.The only thing that seems to make any sense is that I was drinking wine beforehand and maybe I didn't leave enough time before drinking and eating. I always used to think that the not drinking for 30 min before eating rule didn't make any sense but it seems that it can affect what and how much you can eat.

When I saw my dietician 2 weeks ago he said that it is often a cause of problems when people are out. They can't understand why they can't eat as much or the same as they can at home but it is often because they have been filling up with some kind of drink at the restaurant whilst waiting for their food.

Sometimes eating with other people can be a lot easier than expected. At Easter i went away with a group of friends that don't know about my band and I had no problems. That was a major relief.

I can feel your pain. I hate to eat out with a group of people. I have not told anyone about my surgery and I know people wonder why it takes me so long to eat. I have ask my husband to eat slowly with me, and sometimes he does and sometimes he forgets. My band is tighter in the morning, so if we have to eat out the evenings are better for me. I have 7.5cc's in my 10cc band. I have to eat so slow and be so careful what I eat. I am so scared to eat salad. What do you put on yours and is it the only thing you eat. I have craved a salad so bad, but I am so afraid to eat one. I also know exactly what you mean about looking for the bathroom. I now love the seat by the bathroom. I have to go to the bathroom several times during a meal especially if I am with people. Thanks for letting me know that I am not the only one who has these problems.

LOL I can definately relate too.

I have what some on these boards have called "First Bite Syndrome". My Dr said he has never heard of it but I have it.

I was at Disney World eating the most delicious chicken and Pasta dish. I was near the bathroom because I know I that first bite will come up, then I can eat whatever I want.

I took the first bite, waited about 10 min and bam! it wanted out. I ran to the Bathroom only to see the yellow sign "Bathroom closed for cleaning" Of course I didn't know where the nearest one was, I had never eaten at this resort before, so I banged on the door, the lady said "closed" and I said I can't wait, I have to throw up NOW!

She let me in and I did what I needed, rinsed my mouth, washed my face and hands and went back to the table and finished my delicious dinner.< /p>