Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 10-14 Banders--How's it going? Share.

Started creamy Soups today..... they fill me up nice, but seriously this is not a very healthy option why suggest creamy soups when they are so full of sodium and fat?

I was banded on May 13. The first couple of days were rough cuz of all the gas pain/abdominal distention. I am feeling much better. I start a full liquid diet tomorrow. My post op follow up visit is May 28. According to my scale, I lost ten pounds...hoping that continues. Not feeling hungry or anything.

Bramante45- my nutritionist advised me against creamy Soups because of the sodium and fat. They do have low sodium soups out there, but not sure what kinds.

I was banded on Friday the 14th. Today is the first day I have felt like myself since....

My incisions are healing nicely, but the gas pain is horrible. I don't really have it in the shoulder, but mostly in my chest ... I can't burp either... it goes in, but doesn't come out which just makes it worse! Any words of advice how to get the burps up? I know that it would be the cure to my ills!

Yesterday I was allowed to add yogurt to my diet and man! I needed it! I haven't really been hungry (although my stomach grumbling begs to differ), but the yogurt hit home nicely.

One thing I am having issues with is drinking enough Water... I am forcing it down, but I think I'm subconsciously am afraid I will gulp it down or take too big a swig. Today I did get enough and I feel a million times better.

I have been walking... started with 10 minutes and tonight will be up to 15.. I am actually going to venture to the market ... with my family.... in my pajamas! LOL I have never done that, but you know what? I don't really care.. I want to get my walk in and this way we can kill two birds with one stone!

I know it's early, but I have already lost 11 lbs since surgery day.. I am sure that it's because of my liquid diet, but that's okay.. it's making all the pain and discomfort worth it!

KIMKIM - I'm so sorry!!!! :laugh:

I had my surgery on May 11th, also... and so far, so good. I've only puked once... and it was at the hospital during recovery... had too much Water. I've gone to the bathroom a few times... and right now, my biggest issue is gas in my chest and shoulders.... other than that, I have hunger pains but once i eat, I'm ok....

which Protein shakes are you taking?? I am still taking the Optifast 800 that I was on before my surgery. I cannot tolerate ANY of the Protein Shakes out there....

Good luck... and I hope things get better soon... Have you lost any weight? I've lost 7 pounds since Tuesday...

so between the 2 week pre op liquid diet and my surgery on Tuesday I've lost 20 pounds... :thumbup:

BEST OF LUCK TO ALL MARVELOUS MAY BANDSTERS!!!

I too had my surgery the same day as you and also with Dr. Kim. Maybe we were there at the same time LOL!!!

I'm pretty much doing the same as you, I have lost about 6 lbs since the surgery. I had gained a couple then the couple came back, I'm guessing this is kind of normal. I have just been on cream Soups this week, Water with some crystal light. I have read not to snack between meals but I am starting to feel hungry sometimes. I did throw in a yogurt here and there. I have my 2 week follow up on the 25th. Hope it goes well. I'm ready for the mushies next week. Mashed potatoes, cream of wheat, cottage cheese and tuna and chicken salads. I am new to this site but it really seems helpful to read how everyone else is handling the band

Ccolvin, my doctor said it was fine to eat multiple times a day until I've had a fill because right now there's no real restriction (at least not in my band) so Soup and mushies may fill me up fast but they don't really satiate the stomach for long and the hunger will come back pretty quickly. I just try to eat 1 thing (yogurt, applesauce, popsicle, jello) every 3 hours or so or whenever I get hungry and that seems to work.

I just wanted to share my new found favorite Soup. Split Pea, if you haven't ever tried it, do it!!! You can put potoates, I used ham, carrotts and oninons and just puree. I am telling you this stuff is great and it sticks with you for at least 3-4 hours.

Thanks sunshine79, I decided to try some yogurt between meals. I bought some applesauce but haven't had any yet. ready for next week to start some of the mushies. How is it after the first fill, what to expect then?

Haha...smitten that's our favorite Soup. I'm making a big pot of it tomorrow. I usually use ham, onion, carrots, celery, and a handful of barly (to make it a little hardier). It's sooooo good! And good for you!!!!

I was banded May 12th. I have NO restriction at all. I feel like I could eat just like I did before surgery. I called the office and they said that is normal. I must be a fast healer because that means the swelling is way down. I don't go back until June 10th for my 1st post op possible fill. I am really going to have to watch my eating but as it is I probably don't get 800 cal a day and that isn't healthy. This is really bothering me.

05/13/10 banded:

Hi there - I also seem to be healing exceptionally fast...the only lingering issue I have seems to be gas marching through me. I can burp pretty well though (always could!), but the gas moving through can get a bit uncomfortable. I also am getting hungry, so am dringing Protein Shakes every 2-3 hours(mixed with one cup water), having some cream Soup (about 1/2 cup), or a yogurt. Cant quite finish the whole yogurt container though...then, I'm not really "full", but no longer hungry. Also, have been walking at lunchtime and managed 30 minutes yesterday, but was a little sore in the tummy later in the afternoon...I go in on 05/26 for my post op checkup, but pretty sure it is not a fill...I think the first fill is not for about 5 weeks post surgery. Seems like a long time. So far, only down 11 pounds.

My post op is this afternoon. I'm hoping the dr tells me I can bypass puree and at least go to mushies...the Jello, yougurt, etc dont fill me up for long (if at all...I'm just too paranoid to eat more lol)

Hey all. For everyone still on cream Soups this week, I found a nice healthy recipe for a cold greek Soup and it's very healthy and easy.

1 skinned SEEDLESS cucumber, diced

1 clove garlic, minced

1 tsp Lemon juice

1 cup fat free sour cream or plain yogurt

1 tbsp olive oil

Just blend it in a blender and enjoy. It's refreshing and reminds me of tatziki sauce but thinner and creamier.

Also, this should make about a cup of soup, so you should get 3-4 servings out of it, depending on how much you are eating.

Banded 5/12 - 20 pounds gone so far!

Edited by jwkrock
spelling