Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WOW!! Just had lapband surgery in Tijuana, Mexico 10 days ago!!

Okay, okay, I know there are a million skeptics out there..but while going to college in San Diego I couldn't afford American insurance and so I would get medical treatment in Mexico instead. I did this because, frankly, I couldn't afford American medical insurance or care AND because anything I needed as a young adult (common colds, dental work, flu, checkups, etc..) could be taken care of quite easily, quickly, and with better service than I typically received in the U.S.

So fast forward 10 years, I'm a professional now that works with computers and have gained about 80 pounds of excess weight. My American insurance denied my lapband procedure although my doctor thinks its a great idea to get it...I make enough money to pay for the procedure but thought, why not save some money and get the procedure done in Mexico...after about 6 months of research, saving money, and working up enough courage, I finally made the jump and had the procedure done in Mexico at Jeruselem Hospital by Dr. Mario Almana Reyes.

The result?? Well, I still have my liver!! Ha-ha, actually, I am extremely pleased with the service I got there...they were extremely professional and seemed to do a great job! Now don't get me wrong, it's only been 10 days and so far I've only lost 9 pounds...was hoping I'd lose a little more by this point but I haven't even had my first fill yet so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. But I will say that before the procedure they took lab work (blood), had a cardiologist run an EKG on me (not an RN or medical assistant...a real cardiologist), the primary physician, and an anesthesiologist...after surgury I spent two days at a guest house where doctors, nurses, and maids kept the house safe and checked up on me.

Before leaving I was given a barium x-ray to make sure the Allergen product was working correctly, Allergen documents and serial number card so I can authenticate that the Allergen lapband was made and purchased in America (the only authorized dealer of lapbands), and all the medications I needed including pain medication and antibiotics.

All in all, I was nervous, hell, who wouldn't be when going under the knife? But I was impressed, they did a very good job. Oh, and the price?? You couldn't beat the price...seriously.........$4,250 with lifetime free fills.

So if your considering this procedure and Mexico, think of this facility, I'd vouch for them.:smile2:

That is wonderful! I too went to Mexico for surgery. Insurance wouldn't pay (specific exclusion for ANY type of WLSurgery) blah, blah, blah. I saw Dr. Ariel Ortiz in Tijuana and I LOVED HIM! His entire practice was awesome. I know how it is when you say you're going to Mexico for surgery, people look at you like you are on fire. Thankfully, we both did great. BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!

I'm in central Ohio and we have alot of self pays who go to Michigan. Apparently there's a surgeon up there that does cash for about $6000. Glad it all went in Mexico.

I am going to Tijuana in Sept. I am from central canada. This is a big trip. I am nervous about the long flight back. I have to make two stops to get home. I was wondering about the pain with flying?

I went to Mexico too and had a great experience. I went to Cancun and went several days early so that I could have a great vacation. I have no complaints about the surgery there and the hospital room was like a 5 Star hotel.

I too got my box and documentation along with serial # of my Allergan band and have registered it with them and gotten the WLS Card with no issues.

My fill doctor has twice complimented the placement of both my band and port and even asked for the contact info for my Mexican doctor to pass on to patients who cannot afford to pay for it in the US

Does anyone know if they use FDA approved bands at Mt.Zion in Tijuana?

No, but that is a question I would be asking.

This is a glaringly-obvious planted post -- a commercial.