Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone in Upstate???

I am new to your forum and would like to get any refs or experiences of anyone who has had the proceedure in Upstate NY (Albany) or VT or Western Mass.

I'm just learning about this technique and I would like to find a good doctor to speak to BUT i would love to find someone who has had a good experience....

Thanks,

Nic

Hi Nic - I'm in the Fingerlakes region. I'm still looking for a doctor also. I've heard of a doctor in Albany, Dr. Singh at Saint Peters. This is coming from a bariatric nurse in Upstate (Syracuse). Syracuse has only done 2 bandings, the nurse says that this Dr. Singh has more experience with it.

I wish you luck, my hurdle is finding a doctor within a decent travelling range who has done more than a couple bandings and who accepts my insurance.

Thanks for the help! I have also heard his name. My fear is not finding someone close by that has the experience and having to go away from home...

Good luck to you! I hope you fin someone closer to home!

:)

I agree, I can't imagine travelling to NYC as I know there is a center there that has more experience with the banding, but geez, I can't travel well over 100 miles one way if there is a problem that needs to be dealt with. I'm looking at a doctor about 50 miles away, not bad, but he's only placed 5 bands - not much of a track record.

Only 5 ???? That would make me uneasy.... I'm nervous enough just to speak to a doctor and pick the right one. You read about these doctors that have done thosands but non of them live near you... Have you read about the place in Mexico? When you read about it in other countries they say they have done thousands but you feel like your doing something illegal by going there?:bandit

Nic

Yeah, I'm not sure I could have a lot of faith with them only doing 5. The only reason I might go to him is because they are in one of the most reputable hospitals in New York. If anything were to go wrong I know I'm in good hands. You can't find anyone because the insurance companies around here won't pay because they say it's still experimental. Figures, mine will and I can't find a doctor with more experience.

I definitely wouldn't go to Mexico - just because I have small kids, I hate travelling too far and fear that nobody here would want to help me if I had problems. I guess that's why people end up having bypass, they can't get the band...

Hey guys. I am from NY and had my surgery in May 2005... I live in Orange County NY, which is about one hour North of NYC. I love my surgeon and would recommend him to anyone!!! However, your a bit far and I dont know if you would want to travel this far. Sooo, check out http://www.lap-band.com/lapband2/locator.jsp if you haven't all ready. It is the surgeon locator on the INAMED website. Inamed produces the band system. Its the kind I have. From what I understand there are two or three different kinds out there. I could be wrong on that...but thats what I understand. You just enter your zip code and it brings you a list of surgeons in your area....

Good luck and please let us know how you make out!!!

I am from Upstate New York and have used Dr, Kwon in Port Jervis. He is great and runs a great office with knowledgable and helpful caring staff. I was banded on 11/9 and would recommend them highly.

Hello everyone,

I am also from Upstate NY, Plattsburgh area. I was banded in Mexico and thought that it went very well. Dr. Joya was the surgeon and he has banded 100s of people. He has banded more individuals than any American docs (at least my research said so.) You can check out his site if you are interested. I don't want to sound too much like an advertisement for him, but I was really impressed. I am not looking for a fill doctor close to this area. I went to usa fill centers, but the closest doc they have is 4 hours from here! I would like someone closer. Has anyone else gone out of state and use a fill and follow up doctor closer to this area? I hear that there is Dr. Singh in Albany, but don't know that he would do my follow up being that I was not banded by him. I will check, bot others assistance/feedback and comments with this are always welcome.

Thanks!,

Lisa

I actually live in the Capital Region and am having surgery with Dr. Singh. I know many people who have been banded by him and they all rave about him!

Message me if you want to talk :)

Dear lilnena,

Thanks for responding. I have actually heard of Dr. Singh through this board. I contacted them and was able to work together with his office to allow me to have my fills done by him. I am pleased about this as I was not really looking forward to driving about 4.5 hours one way for aftercare. I scheduled a fill for March 1 and really feel like I am ready for one. Following surgery, I had some feeling of restriction, but now I am getting hungrier by the day. I know that this is as a result of my body healing, but I don't like it. Makes me feel like I am on another fad diet. I know that this is not the case and the band will be more effective once fills start happening. I just have to be patient and just don't want to be! :rolleyes Keep in touch and let me know how your surgery goes. I will be looking forward to hearing and following you progress.

I'm so happy that Dr. Singh will work with you :mad:

I meet him one on one for the first time on Thursday and should get my date then :clap2:

Hi All, I am also being banded by Dr. Singh in Albany 3/14/07. He is at Albany Medical Center. I have only met him once, he seems very nice. The process takes about six months before approval for banding. I have heard nothing negative about him and he has done several hundred bands.

Hi everyone!! I too was banded by Dr. Singh. He's great!! I have nothing but nice things to say about him. Those of you considering him as your surgeon, I say...go for it, you won't regret it.

I live 2 hours away from Albany Medical Center, but it is worth the drive.

Stacy