Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all. I am getting banded on May 17th 2010. I am sooooo scared ... HELP!!

Hi all, My name is Dana. I am 28 single F from California. I am getting my lap band surgery on May 17th 2010. I am so scared and terrified of being put to sleep... mainly. I have tried to ease my mind but nothing seems to work. I want everything to go smoothly and I have done numerous research on my surgeon and here he is a VERY good one in Los Angeles. ...however I am still terrified...... Please anyone... someone....?! help me get over this fear of being put to sleep or at least get some kind of comfort..... I suffer from Sleep apnea.. (sleep with C-PAP machine) High blood pressure (on pills) High Cholesterol on pills) and horrible acid reflux (on pills) also I am borderline diabetic..... I know this surgery will help with all of these terrible diseases I have.......yet, I am still so SCARED!! :blink::confused::sad::unsure::scared2::smile::frown:

Edited by ChocolateDream81
mis spelled words.

Hi Chocolatedream,

I was just banded 10 days ago. I wouldn't stress yourself out. Hundreds and thousands of people are getting the bands for the same reasons, and it's so common now that the surgeons, and anesthesiologists are very prepared for patients like us.

While I was in the pre-op area getting ready to go into surgery, the anesthesiologist came to speak to me personally. He asked me everything about my history from allergies, previous anesthesia, breathing issues, etc. They can anticipate what might come up, if anything, and be prepared.

The good thing is that it is a fairly quick surgery, so you will only be under anesthesia for about 60-90 minutes. My experience was awesome. While in recovery, they were very attentive, and were constantly checking my vitals, pain level, and labs.

May I ask where in California you are? I am in Southern California.

Erika

Hello Dana,

I understand your fear, because I was there. I was 40 when I was banded, and it was the first time I had ever had surgery. I was terrified. I let them know how scared I was when I got there, they gave me something to chill me out and calm my nerves, and it all came out fine. I don't even remember being wheeled into the OR.

It should all come out fine and you will wake up in recovery banded and on your way to a new life. If you have never had anesthesia before you may also voice your concerns about nausea and see if they can give you something to prevent it. Also, ask your surgeon to send you home with something for nausea in case it becomes a problem while recuperating.

Cindy

I am getting May 17th also!!! Congrats on your first step to a new life! I am 22 and have been put to sleep 3 times in my life already! I was too young to remember if I was scared the first time, or if I even remember the concept of what was going to happen. But you will be fine, you wont even remember it.

I promise it will be worth gettting banded! You need to get healthy for yourself.

If you need to talk, please message me, we should stay in touch with this journey. What is your pre-op diet?

Hi,

I'm based in the Norco CA area and was just banded by Doc T at the Beverly Hill Surgery Center (via Weight Loss Centers). I'm on day three and doing great. I am almost 42 and this was my first surgery...I was also nervous but kept reminding myself why I wanted to go through with it....you will be fine and the results will be well worth it! On day two I managed a trip to Lowes, Target, etc. with my wife and kids and it was all good. Let us know how you do.

Cheers,

Rick

Hi Chocolatedream,

I was just banded 10 days ago. I wouldn't stress yourself out. Hundreds and thousands of people are getting the bands for the same reasons, and it's so common now that the surgeons, and anesthesiologists are very prepared for patients like us.

While I was in the pre-op area getting ready to go into surgery, the anesthesiologist came to speak to me personally. He asked me everything about my history from allergies, previous anesthesia, breathing issues, etc. They can anticipate what might come up, if anything, and be prepared.

The good thing is that it is a fairly quick surgery, so you will only be under anesthesia for about 60-90 minutes. My experience was awesome. While in recovery, they were very attentive, and were constantly checking my vitals, pain level, and labs.

May I ask where in California you are? I am in Southern California.

Erika

I am in Riverside, CA I have having my surgery done at LA Bariatrics in Marina Del Rey, by Dr. Jeremy Korman.

I don't have a date scheduled yet, but I go through ups and downs of being sooo scared about it, to thinking that it is a very practical thing to do to take charge of my health. I know I will freak out as well when my date approaches. I think it's very normal to be afraid of giving up control and letting someone operate on you! You have to focus on the statistics, which are excellent for this operation. Focus on the success rate of your surgeon. The surgeon I am going with has performed over 2000 lapband surgeries and is a pioneer in this area. I think about this all the time. You are taking a step for yourself and for your future health. You are putting yourself first right now...something that many of us are unfamiliar with :smile:.

I am getting May 17th also!!! Congrats on your first step to a new life! I am 22 and have been put to sleep 3 times in my life already! I was too young to remember if I was scared the first time, or if I even remember the concept of what was going to happen. But you will be fine, you wont even remember it.

I promise it will be worth gettting banded! You need to get healthy for yourself.

If you need to talk, please message me, we should stay in touch with this journey. What is your pre-op diet?

I would love to keep in touch!! :smile: I need someone who is going through what I will be going through to talk to. All of your comments have gave me some sense of relief and I know that I am doing this surgery for all the right reasons. My Dr. did not put me on a 2 week diet pre-op which was nice.... but I think a week before I will put my own self on one so that I can make sure I am in the best health condidtion. Where are you located at?

getting put under for my lap-band surgery was the first time for me and i was just as scared as you. i had never even had an I.V. in my hand before. (i think i was stressing more about the I.V. than being put under!)

while i was waiting for my turn in the surgery "waiting room" i asked for something to calm my nerves... how funny is that?! they told me i had a half hour wait before i could have anything and no more than 5 minutes later i was being wheeled into the operating room. i'm not sure why my surgery got expedited but if i had been wearing pants i probably would have peed them : )

i got wheeled into the room. i saw my surgeon for a minute. one nurse took one arm off to the side, another one to my other arm. they put the mask on my face and i don't think i took 2 breaths and i was out.

next thing i knew i was in the recovery room being woken up by annoying nurses. i just wanted to sleep! oh and i thought i had to pee. i guess i was still nervous enough to want to pee my pants that i didn't have on!

seriously though... being nervous is expected. everyone is nervous beforehand. i even filled out a living will and a DNR just in case something bad happened. (my mom wasn't very happy when i handed her THOSE papers!)

just consider that day the beginning of your new life!

thanks for your kind words... I am feeling better by the minute.... I am glad that I am taking control of my health!!

weight.png

getting put under for my lap-band® surgery was the first time for me and i was just as scared as you. i had never even had an I.V. in my hand before. (i think i was stressing more about the I.V. than being put under!)

while i was waiting for my turn in the surgery "waiting room" i asked for something to calm my nerves... how funny is that?! they told me i had a half hour wait before i could have anything and no more than 5 minutes later i was being wheeled into the operating room. i'm not sure why my surgery got expedited but if i had been wearing pants i probably would have peed them : )

i got wheeled into the room. i saw my surgeon for a minute. one nurse took one arm off to the side, another one to my other arm. they put the mask on my face and i don't think i took 2 breaths and i was out.

next thing i knew i was in the recovery room being woken up by annoying nurses. i just wanted to sleep! oh and i thought i had to pee. i guess i was still nervous enough to want to pee my pants that i didn't have on!

seriously though... being nervous is expected. everyone is nervous beforehand. i even filled out a living will and a DNR just in case something bad happened. (my mom wasn't very happy when i handed her THOSE papers!)

just consider that day the beginning of your new life!

it just keeps getting better...... you have helped me tremendously...... thanks so much for you kind words.... I truly feel like I can do this.... I am sure my feet wiill get cold again...lol but I love hearing all of your inspiring stories..... its like a breath of fresh air..... when and where were you banded??

weight.png

I'm getting banded on May 17th, too! Wow, I guess it's a good day for a life change! I'm 24, married, two dogs (Duke and Dutchess), work in retail, starting back to college for my Master's, and I'm so excited for this surgery!

I read a blog once where a woman had written down all the things that she wanted to do once she lost weight. It had stuff like

1) Fly on an airplane without having to ask for a seatbelt extender

2) Ride a roller coaster and be able to get the bar down to secure myself

3) Eat in public without having people stare

4) Wear a bathing suit in public

5) Not just a bathing suit, a bikini!

6) Ride on a long car ride comfortably

7) Be on the other side of the camera

8) Sit in a booth at a restaurant

9) Shop by what I like, not by what comes in my size

As I kept reading, I started crying. Do you realize the things that I haven't done in my life because my weight (or my perception of my weight) held me back? The people I haven't talked to, the things I haven't done, the experiences I wanted but was to embarassed to try for because I didn't want everyone to stare at me?

I can't wait for this surgery. It feels like second chance at life.

I'm getting banded on May 17th, too! Wow, I guess it's a good day for a life change! I'm 24, married, two dogs (Duke and Dutchess), work in retail, starting back to college for my Master's, and I'm so excited for this surgery!

I read a blog once where a woman had written down all the things that she wanted to do once she lost weight. It had stuff like

1) Fly on an airplane without having to ask for a seatbelt extender

2) Ride a roller coaster and be able to get the bar down to secure myself

3) Eat in public without having people stare

4) Wear a bathing suit in public

5) Not just a bathing suit, a bikini!

6) Ride on a long car ride comfortably

7) Be on the other side of the camera

8) Sit in a booth at a restaurant

9) Shop by what I like, not by what comes in my size

As I kept reading, I started crying. Do you realize the things that I haven't done in my life because my weight (or my perception of my weight) held me back? The people I haven't talked to, the things I haven't done, the experiences I wanted but was to embarassed to try for because I didn't want everyone to stare at me?

I can't wait for this surgery. It feels like second chance at life.

I totally hear ya. All those things listed are things that are currently affecting my life... I can't wait for the day to be able to check off every item on that dreadful list. Where are you located at? what ur goal weight? I love talking to people about all of this....its so inspiring.... thanks so much and good luck to you to on your journey...:smile:

My band date is May 12th so I know exactly how you feel. I have HBP, reflux, high cholesterol and I am diabetic and on meds for all of this. I probably have sleep apnea but have not been tested.

I have had laproscopic knee surgery, abalation surgery and being nervous or scared is so normal. I was so stressed about the ablation surgery last July that my blood pressure was through the roof. They had to give me four doses of lisinopril while I was on the operating table and I was out for the surgery. Sometimes there is nothing you can do about it. Relax, as much as possible. Think positive thoughts that this will help all of your co-morbidities. Life will become so much better because of this.

Angie,

I just read your blog page and I truly need some inspiration... My surgery is Monday monrning at 8:30.. I am scared to death..... please get back to me so I can talk to you and ask you some things.... (I am crying right now) I am terrified.... Please get back before Monday. I am so SCARED and FRIGHTENED to be put to sleep.

Thanks

Dana