Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello, I just need to talk about my journey thus far. Or just confess that I am starting to slide back into my pre-op eating behaviors. I had the band placed in December 2009 and have lost 47 pounds. I have had two fills. I exercise three times a week. I am going to begin running and increasing my exercise periods. What is really bothering me is the choices that I am starting to make again. I have bought bags of chips, candy, and trail mix. When I get home from work I snack on these before eating my dinner. I know in my head that I need not to eat this things; however, I just give in like I always have to food. It is so mindless and stupid!! I realize that my band is a tool and it helps me from overeating. But it does not help me from grazing. I find I don't get enough Water because I graze and then I can't drink for another hour and by that time I eat something else and have to wait another hour. It overwhelms me to think that I had this surgery and I am slipping back into my bad eating behaviors. I really never thought that I was addicted to food. Now I know that I am. I am always planning and craving for my next fix of chips and more. I always justify it; like I went to the gym and worked out for an hour, and I should be able to eat some chips. Why can't I talk myself into eating foods that will fuel my body appropriately? Why don't I care about myself enough? Maybe knowing the answers to these questions would not be enough. All I know is that I feel like I am starting to lose control and that I needed to say it today in this format. Thanks for taking the time to read this post.

All I can say is I am in the same position. I do not have great restriction. And I am falling into old habits so I completely understand. I feel all the things you do and question myself about why I do this to myself. Unlike you I have always known that I was addicted to food. I eat when I am not hungry which is frustrating to me! But I am the one that needs to take responsiblity for my actions and get back on the wagon. I plan meals throughout the day and far in advance...I think about what I have at home to eat when I get there. I am a hostage of sorts to my mind I don't know why I do this to myself. I do what you do I work out and they justify eating this or that. If anyone else has advice I would love it because I need to get off my plateau that I have been on!!!!

How frustrating! Unfortunately, I don't really have an answer for you, but I've been in your trap. For me-- it works to not buy that stuff at all. But I do understand that when you hear the siren call of the junk food- it's almost impossible not to answer it. I feel like it's really an addiction, you know? Mine was Burger King. I literally could not drive past the place without my car seeming to mysteriously drive itself there. And I'm having this internal screaming match with myself about the whole time. "NO! You don't need that crap-- it's gonna kill you," and "F-that-- I can eat whatever I want!" I felt a bit like I had multiple personalities for a while.

David Kessler (surgeon general a while back) wrote a great book called "The End of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite." Unfortunately he doesn't give a good answer to HOW to stop it-- but he gives great information about WHY salt and fat and sugar (like chips, etc) call to us so strongly-- it really is a chemical reaction in the brain, like a drug. We enjoy that chemical reaction- momentarily soothing or whatever-- just like a drug addict enjoys his drug (momentarily before he feels sick.) I found it helpful to know that it wasn't just my lack of willpower, but an actual physical reaction that caused me to want (and to justify) junk food so badly.

For me, the only remedy is to stay away from most junk all together. The post-op diet helped me tremendously to break out of the cycle. (I didn't have a preop, but it would have done the same). Staying away from it for a certain amount of time breaks the neediness cycle, and when the cravings are gone, they're gone. I literally need to stay away from certain restaurants (for me it's the one that sells the giant, homemade Cookies in my town), white flour and sugar almost in their entirety. But if I allow myself to start indulging again, the cravings will come back and I don't know if I can control them or not.

Good luck to you.

White sugar and refined white carbs are like drugs to some people. The more you have them the more you fiend for them. You need to clear your body and cupboards of these trigger foods to get yourself back on track. you can't stop at a handful becasue the more you have the more your body wants and like my body, your body cannot metabolize this stuff effectively and the pounds pack on.

I steer clear, for the most part, but I am am human so yes, a slice of pizza looks good, or some chips. I know when I have pizza I will get on the scale the next morning and be up 5 pounds...I have to be honest with myself is that 5 pounds worth it for a a half slice of a trational large pizza? Yes about once every 3 months. Chips, totally not worth it at all to me.

You need to detox the white/refined from your body. The first day is the worse! But you did it before when you did your pre-op, and certainly during post op. So try phase one of a South Beach like diet for a few days or weeks and it will get you back on track.

Good luck and I totally understand where you are at.

First of all, congratulations on your weight loss! I am wondering if you need another fill. Sounds like you don't have restriction yet.

I totally agree about food being a drug- especially the refined carbs, and fatty foods to an extent. I had the band to aide me in dealing with my food addiction. At times I am sad I will never be able to eat fries, pizza, chocolate et... again. However, I believe for me the best thing is to totally stay away.

Keep up the excersise, that is great. However, as you know, it's not an excuse to eat junk. I suggest having a healthy snack waiting for you when you get home. It could be some nuts, lowfat yougurt, cheese sticks, cottage cheese. Whatever you like that is on the eating plan you are trying to follow. At first, I wouldn't worry about portions, that will come.

Since you seem to want to work on some underlying feelings (feeling worthy) you might want to try Overeaters Anonymous. It is a 12 step program similar to AA. Don't know if it's for you, but might be worth looking into.

Hope this helps and best wishes! You can do it!

I completely understand. For me, it's chips that call my name. I honestly can not have them in the house. I will buy some thinking I can stay out of them, but I just can't. If I'm around others I can have 3 chips, chew them slowly, and be satisfied. But if I'm alone... I guess I tend to snarf (habit from the old days when I would eat most of a whole bag in solitude) because after about 6 chips I'm getting that stuck feeling. It's the one food that I just can't seem to get a grip on. I've thrown away more bags of chips in the last year - just to get them out of the house. And for me it has nothing to do with the level of restriction. I have good restriction right now, but head hunger is still head hunger and those old food cravings we've had for years don't disappear overnight.

Like another poster said the old things that I used to crave I just can't have in the house. If there is something I really REALLY want as a treat, I buy it in a small amount. One of those individual ice creams, etc. That way I can't go overboard. I really have to look at it as a treat though, not a weekly occurence.

Off topic, I experienced something today that really threw me. My husband was at the hospital for a test and we went to have lunch between appts in the hospital cafeteria. I decided to try a piece of roast beef and told the lady I just wanted one. She said, "Just one, seriously? You do know they are going to charge you the full price don't you?" AHHHHH This is not the hospital where I had my band placed, but this hospital does gastric bypass procedures. I thought how crazy is it that a heath institution is encouraging you to take more than you want or need? I've had this happen in restaurants before and expect it there. I've eaten "cheap" for years - restaurants didn't make a lot of money off me in the past, so I have no problem paying full price for a smaller meal now if I'm not in a position to take leftovers home - better to waste the money than go to my waist. But I really thought a hospital would be a different story and encouraging healthier foods and Portion Control.

Thanks for letting me vent!

Hi yall. My heart so went out to you. Hang on, I promise it gets better. I was banded on 10/8/09 and I have struggled with the food the whole time. I get obsessed with almonds and sugar free ice cream. It's been lots of other things this whole time, but mostly those two. I was concerned before the surgery about my food obessions and just as I thought, this surgery did not remove them. I have now gotten really good restriction with my last fill and I can tell you that almonds and even sugar free ice cream are a thing of the past. I can barely get any food down so I'm having to work at getting all of my proper nutrition. The band has finally gotten to the point where it's working. Just like others have said, you don't have restriction yet. I am glad it took awhile to get here because I really needed to learn how to pay attention to the feelings of being "full" and learning how to chew my food and to take small bites and to eat slowly. Hang in there, it will get better!