Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Lap Band Buddy / Mentor Starting over and less than confident - could use some help!

Hi! I was originally banded in 2006 - lost some, gained it all back +2 lbs due to not sticking with the appointments for fills etc and eating whatever would go down instead of what was healthy. I'm 33, married, 2 sons, 1 step daughter, I work full time and go to school part time... just joined Golds Gym and am really optimistic about this time around.

Would love a mentor to help guide me and someone to help me focus a bit more than last time...

I'm in Texas if that matters... Specifically, Georgetown/ Austin area so if anyone local wants to become exercise buddies let me know!

I was banded in 06 as well. Been through a lot, lost a lot, gained it all back plus some. Finally got fill where it needs to be and ready to work it again. I took fill completely out and realized just how much it was helping me:) I am 32 with two kids. I am a teacher and go to school as well. I live in KY but would love to be an e-mail buddy!

I don't think I can be a mentor at this point, but I can be your buddy. I was banded 10/2008 and have lost about 65lbs to date. I thought I would have been further along at this point, but I must take responsibility for not being as focus as I should. I decided not stress about it, but start working hard. I read on another post that the band will only do 10% of the work the other 90% is up to you. I have only been putting in 25% of work and now I have to get myself straight. I didn't go through surgery not to make my goal. With that being said we can complete this journey together.

I am so glad I came to this forum. I too was banded in 2006. I lost 138lbs by 2008. But then the plateau hit for about a year. I had another 75 lbs to lose. I decided last March (2009) to get a personal trainer. He did not really understand the band and put me on a diet. That was the worst thing that could have happened. Once I thought I had to eat this - not that crap just like the last 25 years of my life that just made me gain weight. I have gained 40 lbs and just can't get myself back in the game. I have not been back to my surgeon because I am too embarrassed that I personally paid $19,000 and failed. I too need a buddy or mentor to get back on track.

labandster--

Am I reading this right? You are down about 100 pounds and are embarrassed and feel like you failed? I got to say, I bet if you hadn't been banded not only would you be 100 pounds heavier but if you were like me, you would have gained another 10 to 20 pounds a year too! I am going to challenge you to look at the big picture.

Your Dr works for you, you pay his salary. He is there to help you. He has your $19K and he owes you! Get your moneys worth! He has seen worse I promise!

I am a firm believer that when you go through a life changing transformation sometimes you need to take a break and let your mind accept where you are now before you can continue your journey. Maybe now you are ready.

If it were me I would start with 1 thing, and add 1 new thing a week until I had the process going. Its kind of like that running program couch to 5K. Instead of starting running a full race you start a little at a time and improve every week, that way you ease yourself into it and its not a big shock to your body and you quit. So my philosophy is like that. This week start journaling your food. Next week go and get a fill. The week after you will have 2 weeks worth of food journals and you can look for somewhere to cut. The next week start walking a few days a week. Then every week after that find 1 thing that you can improve. Everyone can fix one thing a week. In your mind say " OK Sunday night I am going to sit down and decide what the 1 thing is and then I am going to do that 1 thing for the next week."

I hope this helps. Think positive thoughts and remember if you did it before you can do it again! :(