Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Surgery liquid to soft foods

Hi There,

I have my Lab Band surgery early next week. As you can imagine going through the pre-surgery liquid diet I can't wait until I can get some soft foods. It is to the point I am dreaming about cottage cheese :thumbup:.

I am curious how long after the banding surgery was it before you had soft foods regardless if it was physician ordered or you did it on your own.

Also curious about the things you were able to eat for soft foods.

Thanks.

I've heard different things - best to ask your surgeon.

I had a post-op diet plan before I went into surgery. I had to be on liquids only (Jello, broth, Protein shakes) for 1 -2 weeks, then mushy foods (scrambled eggs, cottage cheese, flaked fish, thicker Soups, apple sauce - think baby food) for another week, then slowly adding more solid foods, being careful to take my time and note how I felt as I was eating.

Pre-op AND post-op were hard! I didn't realize how hungry I would be post-op! There is generally little to no restriction, yet you have to be careful to try and let your stomach heal. It sucks, it's hard, and you have to endure it if you want the surgery!

But, like I said - your surgeon should give you solid, definitive guidelines. Ask for them if you have to, and best of luck!

Hi Tony,

I was banded on 4/14 and had my post-op appointment with the Dr. yesterday where he gave me permission to eat a few soft foods before my appointment with the nutritionist on Monday. I had cottage cheese for lunch yesterday and thought it was the best thing I have ever eaten, because it was not sweet like all of the pre/post opt Protein drinks and it wasn't chicken broth :(

Best Wishes on your surgery!!

I started eating pureed foods 1 week post op as per nutrionist....I've been eating tuna w/miracle whip blended in the magic bullet (love that thing), scrambled eggs, chicken breast w/broth blended in magic bullet, cottage cheese, applesauce, sweet potato and green Beans (magic bullet). My favorite is the tuna w/miracle whip.......it's heavenly - I use 1 small can (3oz) tuna and 1 Tbls of miracle whip and measure out 4 tbls of it....yum!! Now I want to leave work for lunch.

I'm allowed 4 tbls of any of the above 3 times a day....I also still have 3 Protein shakes in between (Unjury) with 4 oz of milk. I haven't really been hungry at all. Good luck everyone!!

Thanks Guys. I am looking forward to getting the surgery next week and crossing that step off the list.

I am also just looking forward to getting towards a normal lifestyle again. Eating, excercise, healthy choices.

Edited by TonyBison

I was on liquids for 2wks and then mushies for 2wks. It's real important to not eat solid foods too fast..even if you think you can tolerate them. Solid foods make the stomach contract to digest and if your stitches are not healed yet you can pop them and set yourself up for a slipped band down the road. It was very hard post-op but so worth it to not have complications later on.

My favorite mushie food was refried Beans with a bit of cheese and a dollop of daisy (sour cream)...lol

Good luck to you!

I was on liquids for one week, mushy foods for one week, and now, 15 days out, I'm on softer solids. For example, I can have deli meat now, but not pieces of chicken. I'm on that diet until 1 month out from my surgery, then I can eat anything.

I'm SO glad I wasn't on any kind of diet beforehand. I had to do liquids the day before surgery and I was starving!