Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Carb issues?

I got another fill last week and since then I've been having some real troubles keeping food down. Let me clarify... I've been having trouble keeping carbs down. The things that didn't bother me before this fill (I have 4cc in a 10cc band) are making me pb like crazy. Tortillas, well chewed chips (I know, bad), and even the courser breading on meat. I've never had a problem with this before but let me tell you after three days in a row and every meal with any breadish type item causes me issues.

I've read all over about people choosing to be low carb. I'm just not happy that this is being a forced issue. Any tips to try and keep even just a few bites down? Or should I just accept what my band is telling me and morn the loss?

Hmmm, well I'm certainly no expert but in my pre-surgery information, the surgeons and providers told us that its likely we would never tolerate white flour again. They went on to elaborate, things made with white flour have a difficult time passing through. And sure enough, I was banded on 2/24 and since then I have been unable to eat tortillas, bread, and some pastas. I am sad to see those things go, but definitely will trade my future for some awesome Pasta. :cool:

I cannot tolerate most carbs..that is pretty normal with lapband.

Well then my friends it looks like I will be in carb morning. Oh well this is why diets never stuck so well. Bring on the negative reinforcement! :thumbup:

mourn the loss I am almost 2 years banded and I dont even try bread anymore because it 98 % of the time makes me sick.I have got used to it know so all is well good luck:thumbup:

You may just have to keep experimenting to find what works. For example, I have trouble with white bread and thicker pastas. I can't eat ravioli, but I can eat macaroni. I can even eat spaghetti, but when I eat it, I use a little Pasta and extra sauce with lot of meat. As far as bread goes, I can do harder breads. I can even do a sandwich with a roll, if there is a lot of meat in the sandwich. For me, it seems that the key is having a variety of textures in my meal. Then the soft bread doesn't just stick together and gum up the works. I really can eat almost anything.

Cindy

All of those things you mentioned often give me problems too. I never had a problem with them until I hit my sweet spot, so for me at least, I think it has much more to do with the level of restriction rather than carbs. I haven't sworn them off completely, as once in a while I can tolerate them, but I stay away most of the time for the comfort and safety of my band.

No white carbs for me, but beleave it or not you get use to it. I'm a southern girl and we grew up on carbs and starches. I could give you a mile long list of good ole southern comfort foods that are now off the menu but don't want to cause any drooling:drool: I no longer miss them and I still cook them almost every night for my DH, They just don't appeal to me anymore. You'll be just fine once you come to except that it's just not part of your life now and remember the old saying: Nothing taste as good as skinny feels!!! I must admit I still endulge on a little chocolate every now and again. But beleave it's ok to treat yourself sometimes as long as you follow the rules 99% of the time that 1% won"t hurt you.

Well said Kimaly. It is so worth giving up the bread and Pasta every time that scale goes down another pound.

For me, it depends on the day and the time of day. Definitely in the morning I can't eat breads, and usually just a little of it at any other time of the day. I agree with the poster that said as long as it is with something else, like a lot of sauce with Pasta it is "ok", but I still can't eat much of it. But a taste of it usually is all I need.

For me, it is a good things because I have historically been addicted to carbs. I would love to eat a lot of breads and pastas, etc. Now it just doesn't matter anymore, mostly because I don't get that same "feel good" feeling that I did, its a negative feeling now so it doesn't matter. I am so glad I no longer feel controlled by them. That in itself made the band worth it!

My tell tale sign that something isn't going down well is I gurgle, and I gurgle LOUD. I don't get to the point of PB'ing anymore though, I have learned the signs to stop when I'm ahead. :smile: