Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thanksgiving Dilema

Ok, time to hear from you longtime bansters! How did/are you going to handle Thanksgiving? I relish (mmm...that sounds good too!) the thought of putting turkey in the food processor just to eat it. How did you handle it? What about stuffing? Do I just add the two plus lots of gravy to the food processor and make a shake out of it (ok, that is way too gross to do!!)?

Help us out!!!

Tammy, if you can't do turkey, cut small, well-chewed, with a bit of gravy, are you too tight? Even a few tablespoons of stuffing with some gravy shoudl be possible for most. You are at 2.7cc?

I'm planning on a very healthy Thanksgiving. A little bit of everything! Okay, my weight loss is slower but I can eat! Just lots less and still be satisfied. It just makes me wonder if you are too tight.

Jack blends meat all the time with yogurt. I don't see why you couldn't blend some turkey, stuffing and gravy. Why not? Prolly looks gross but tastes great!

I'll be six weeks out at Thanksgiving and I'm planning to have my 2 oz of turkey and a couple of bites of sweet potato and cranberry sauce. (won't miss the stuffing really). I'm not planning on getting too tight that I can't eat food without blending it. Are you too tight you think? If it comes to having to eat continual blended foods I'd rather loose slower, I like to chew too much. I think turkey gravy and stuffing would blend together though pretty tasty if you must blend.

Melissa

We just had an early thanksgiving and I was ok with everything but the stuffing. I had a slice of dark meat turkey (it is more moist), cranberry orange sauce and some sweet potato casserole even had the nuts from the top and for dessert I had are you ready for this???? 1/4 slice of no bake cheesecake and I was done. My four year old ate more but I was satisfied and didn't go raid the fridge for almost 6 hours (dinner time). I had the same but a smaller slice of turkey to make room for a deviled egg. Yum and I passed on the dessert for the leftover round at dinner time. What did I skip? stuffing, rolls and ham (yuck!) There were no mashed potatos on the table as I am the only one that likes them and I just didn't bother. A good way to see what you will be able to have is to go to Boston Market and order a thanksgiging type meal. They have stuffing, turkey and all the fixins think of it as a preview of what you can or can't have. A good portion of their meals are healthy or at least healthier then other fast food places and it is pretty band friendly. ~Mandy

I don't know what I'm going to do either. I know that I'm not too tight but I think turkey might be a problem for me in any form. The other night I cooked some turkey in mole sauce in the crock-pot. After a few well-chewed bites I spent 15 minutes dry heaving. Last night I tried again, only this time I threw some in the food processor with extra sauce. I got stuck on one teaspoon of well blended turkey.

I do not want to repeat this, ever again!

Thanks for the info!!! This really helps! Yeah, I am a little on the too tight side. Not losing pounds but I have been told I am losing inches. But almost everything makes me PB except for some little little bits of Soups (creamed), popcorn (lots of butter to help it slide down, I know I am bad), Starbucks Frappachino, sugar free pudding, sugar free Jello and such. I actually am making some sf Jello for Thanksgiving.

Sue, smells are the greatest thing! I have learned that smells are the best thing next to eating! Mom had barbqued ribs (yuck!!) last night and the smell was wonderful though. I can sit and smell food and get enough just from the smells. Enjoy the smells! They won't make you PB!!!

Ok im not a longtime bandster yet but im going to butt in anyways..... Im going to eat alot of potatoes and gravy well i cant eat turkey... period i cant eat it. But i can eat pumkin pie!!! so im going to stick to my favorites canberry sause fresh from the can - potatoes - and Pumkin pie!!!!!!!

Kim

Last Thanksgiving I was only a couple of days post op so I was on liquids. It was very hard to watch my family eat and I couldn't! My family kept saying "I'm so sorry". But I made it through it and by Christmas I could eat some of the good food I missed at Thanksgiving!

This year I will be a year out and can eat most foods. I am not a big turkey eater so that is not a problem. But I can't wait for the corn bread stuffing and mashed taters!!!

I am not really sure about the stuffing though, because breads are very hard on my friend, The Band. I will just take it easy and enjoy the foods I can eat and then start being a good bandster once the left overs are gone! LOL

Good luck and happy eatting to all!!! :) :)

Yeah, I am a little on the too tight side. Not losing pounds but I have been told I am losing inches. But almost everything makes me PB except for some little little bits of Soups (creamed), popcorn (lots of butter to help it slide down, I know I am bad), Starbucks Frappachino, sugar free pudding, sugar free Jello and such.

Okay, schedule an unfill! This is important, because you can cause more harm by being too tight than not tight enough. Being too tight is not working the band, it is abusing the band.

Take care, get that unfill, and enjoy some food!

I agree with Vines...being too tight can cause more promblems...some of which can even lead to having to have the band removed. From what I researched with the band you should still be able to eat SOLID foods, just small portions. liquids are only really meant for the recovery stage.

I have also recently conducted my own experiment. I stopped loosing weight for like a week, even though I was following the rules. I discovered that by increasing my calories it has started me loosing again. I've lost 3lbs this week..and I ate approximatly 200-250 calories more a day. I practically cried on the scale when I saw it moving again.

Melissa

I'll be able to eat regular food for thanksgiving but I'm not going near the stuffing or turkey, (I'm not wild about turkey anyway), but what I will have is the sweet potatoes, butternut squash, taters, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie mmmmmmm !!

I have to eat with my inlaws and I'm hoping they won't notice I'm not eating much b/c they don't know I was banded :) If they say anything I'll just say I'm not that hungry LOL.

I was just thinking about this, wondering if I would be able to eat this Thanksgiving. My mom always makes a huge spread of food. I can eat smoked turkey breast (lunchmeat) so I was wondering if I could eat real turkey. I'm apprehensive about cornbread dressing, because I haven't touched bread (or anything made with white flour for that fact) since being banded.

Very very well....I'm banded now and I have the edge.

I'm ready and excited. I will not even stress one little minute about it now. I have the band.

I'm good to go.

Take care- nancy