Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Desperately need lap band removed Erosion Insurance will not cover

Hi, I have had the lap band placed 5 years ago by Dr. Daniel Huacuz. It has been eroded for 3 years but I have not had any complications til now. Regardless my insurance will not cover the removal. My weight was 170 when I had it placed and I currently weigh 210. I'm having a hard time finding a doctor that will not charge me an arm and a leg to have it removed. I had an Endoscopy and half the band is inside my stomach and the other half is outside my stomach. I have a lot of chest pain, headaches, nausea, dizziness and gastric reflux. I can sit here and cry in hopes that it will disappear but that is not going to happen!! Is there anyone out there that has any reasonable resources to have this horrible band removed?

How did the band erode?

If you are in that much pain, I would just charge it on a credit card and get rid of the pain. I am so sorry to hear this news.

Hi Jackie, I really don't know how it eroded and never even heard of a lap band erosion. I lived in California and moved to Knoxville, Tn. I didn't realize that if a doctor did not do your procedure, he will not give you any fills. So no doctor in this area would even consider me. After a couple of years and 25lbs weight gain later I found a doctor in New Orleans which is actually from TJ that flies in every three months to give fills to their patients. I drove all the way to New Orleans all excited to get a fill and on my way of losing some weight! I have the 10cc Inamed band. He said okay you are going to feel some pressure as he is filling my band to the full 10cc and got no restriction and that is when I found out it was eroded. Went locally and had an Endoscopy to confirm it.

I would use my credit card if it was not maxed out! I had a great job. It was only a 2 year temporarily project and after the 2 years was up it was the worst time to get a job during recession. Which forced me to start my own business that is doing great but I have everything invested into it. I will be able to have the band removed in a year but I was hoping sooner than later!

I do have some good days when I say I can live with this a bit longer but on my bad days when I have a lot of pain I want it removed yesterday!

I guess i gave tmi but that is my story and it feels good to let it all out!

I'm glad to see you are doing good with your lap band and I wish you lots of luck and will power to make it to your goal weight!

Hi Jackie, I really don't know how it eroded and never even heard of a LAP-BAND® erosion. I lived in California and moved to Knoxville, Tn. I didn't realize that if a doctor did not do your procedure, he will not give you any fills. So no doctor in this area would even consider me. After a couple of years and 25lbs weight gain later I found a doctor in New Orleans which is actually from TJ that flies in every three months to give fills to their patients. I drove all the way to New Orleans all excited to get a fill and on my way of losing some weight! I have the 10cc Inamed band. He said okay you are going to feel some pressure as he is filling my band to the full 10cc and got no restriction and that is when I found out it was eroded. Went locally and had an Endoscopy to confirm it.

I would use my credit card if it was not maxed out! I had a great job. It was only a 2 year temporarily project and after the 2 years was up it was the worst time to get a job during recession. Which forced me to start my own business that is doing great but I have everything invested into it. I will be able to have the band removed in a year but I was hoping sooner than later!

I do have some good days when I say I can live with this a bit longer but on my bad days when I have a lot of pain I want it removed yesterday!

I guess i gave tmi but that is my story and it feels good to let it all out!

I'm glad to see you are doing good with your LAP-BAND® and I wish you lots of luck and will power to make it to your goal weight!

Hi, I am so sorry about your erosion. You do not need to go on with this. It could lead to peritenitis (sp). If you are in Knoxville, you are within easy driving distance of Chattanooga, TN. I would strongly suggest you contact Dr. Robert Sass, in Chattanooga. He removed my slipped band in 2008 and then in Feb. of this year he did emergency surgery when I had major complications with this second band. He is an amazing compassionate man and will work on charges with you. My insurance paid for both emergency proceedures though it did not pay to have either band placed. Dr. Sass phone number is 423-305-6999. You can set up an apt. with him and get in to see him reasonably fast. My other reccomendation would be to go to Mexico to Dr. Zapata in Monterrey. He will intervene when other doctors patients are having major problems and his prices are very reasonable. His web site is www.Ready4AChange.com. If you need more information on either of these guys let me know. Good luck to you! Corliss

just realized this is an old thread. Hope you got that thing removed, and good luck!