Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Health care reform passed

My son is 6 and asthmatic, my mom died of BC at 32 years old. At the moment I am self employed and can not qualify for health insurance so my husband works a job he can't stand to help keep insurance for us.

We got life insurance and my 250K policy is 2x as much as my husband's 1M policy. Both of us were overweight when we did the policies, its all my risks that screwed me.

And Elfie, I too appreciate everyone's civil tone. It is so much better than what I even saw on Facebook last night. It is such an emotional topic that people on both sides get caught up in fighting for their convictions. Kudos to us all for being friendly and civil during our debate/discussion! :redface:

Oooo...yeah! I'm on FB and a couple of my 'friends' started discussions that almost dissolved into virtual fist fights. I stayed out of those conversations :confused:.

If nothing else, it sure will be interesting to finally see how this 'national health care' actually plays out now that they're 'doing' something.

I AGREE 100% WITH Melinco.. INSURANCE IS NOT A RIGHT..:confused:

Are you trying to muttle the issue ? PEOPLE in this country (U.S.A) DIE EACH DAY from lack of access to health care. I am ashame of this fact aren't you? WAKE UP ! This is not about a bum on a street corner this is about everyday struggling breathing Americans that a system has failed. We can no longer let the slimey GOP/Insurance co's have it they're way. " Your GOP Reps say "Write me a check I ll do anything for another check, I ll LIE to anyone who will listen and take me seriuosly." "Those foolish folks at home they're stupid they only listen to FOX RUSH and GLEN I got them covered.

Woo hoo! Love it, absolutely love it!

I've heard this is going to give all the illegal immigrants access to healthcare (I don't know). How is that fair? Also how is it fair that they will REQUIRE everyone to have health insurance or face a fine. There are some things that are good, but is requiring everyone to have it unconstitutional? Also, what about the small businesses with 50 workers that will be required to carry insurance for their workers. Will this not increase prices on their products thus causing inflation? I don't know about you, but I don't want to give the government anymore in taxes than what they are already getting.

Like I said before, I'm not into politics and I'm not trying to start an argument. I'm trying to learn why this is or isn't a good thing. So no bashing me for these questions.

While I'm sure there are some people who are lazy or opt not to insure themselves, I get frustrated when people assume they are the majority of the uinsured.

I work full-time and have a master's degree. Insurance for a family of 4 through my employer is $1200/month. With $3000 deductibles per person. My husband is self-employed. He paints houses, which I assure you is not a job for the lazy.

We checked with 8 different insurance companies because the insurance through my employer is so high. He's uninsurable because of genetically high blood pressure which is nicely controlled on a very low dose of meds. (He's not overweight nor does he smoke - just lost the bet genetically.) No one would insure him. Not a one.

So, for those of you who think it's as easy as just going without a luxury or two, I ask you if you have $1200/month to pay for insurance? Even if we rode only public transportation, didn't have cable/internet/phones, and ate only rice and Beans every day, we still wouldn't be able to come up with $1200/month for insurance.

I am thrilled this passed. It will allow families just like mine to get the medical care we so desperately need.

Whillow,

I understand what you're saying. I also have excellent BCBS through my husband's employer and we also pay several hundred dollars a month for that coverage...but I look at it in a different way. I feel blessed that I have the opportunity to have that coverage because many employers have eliminated health coverage completely because they just can't afford it...even when it's subsidized by the employee.

If my premium goes up next year because of this health bill, and I have no doubt it will, the difference will most likely mean we may have to eat one less meat meal each week. Or perhaps we'll drive less or any number of ways to cut our other expenses. Not the same type of hardship that occurs when someone has to choose between taking their child to the doctor and eating that 'week'.

I'm not going to get into any arguments over this because none of us will change our mind. I believe we have a responsibility to society, not just ourselves. It's that same mentality that made me immunize my children despite the risks associated with the immunizations. This is just one more thing I/we do to make our society a better place.

I totally agree. If it serves the greater good I have no probelm with paying a little more. My 24 year old daughter has Type 1 diabetes. She is an RN and a working person. However, if she were to lose her job today (rather yesterday) she would have been denied health insurance because of her pre-existing condition. She would die in 1-2 days without insulin. I can sleep better at night knowing that should she ever need it, health care will be there for her and all the others like her.

I've heard this is going to give all the illegal immigrants access to healthcare (I don't know). How is that fair? Also how is it fair that they will REQUIRE everyone to have health insurance or face a fine. There are some things that are good, but is requiring everyone to have it unconstitutional? Also, what about the small businesses with 50 workers that will be required to carry insurance for their workers. Will this not increase prices on their products thus causing inflation? I don't know about you, but I don't want to give the government anymore in taxes than what they are already getting.

Like I said before, I'm not into politics and I'm not trying to start an argument. I'm trying to learn why this is or isn't a good thing. So no bashing me for these questions.

Also how is it fair that they will REQUIRE everyone to have health insurance or face a fine. There are some things that are good, but is requiring everyone to have it unconstitutional?

So is it unconstitutional that we are required to have car insurance? We have to have car insurance or we will have to pay a ticket.

I've heard this is going to give all the illegal immigrants access to healthcare (I don't know). How is that fair?

This is a BAD rumor.

PolitiFact | No free health care for illegal immigrants in the health bill

From the link above:

Page 50, which the e-mail references, is part of Section 152, which includes a generic nondiscrimination clause saying that insurers may not discriminate with regard to "personal characteristics extraneous to the provision of high quality health care or related services."

The section says nothing about "non-US citizens" or immigrants, legal or otherwise. In fact, the legislation specifically states that "undocumented aliens" will not be eligible for credits to help them buy health insurance, in Section 246 on page 143.

The bottom line here is the e-mail is making things up. The bill does not say anything close to "All non-US citizens, illegal or not, will be provided with free health care services."

But, screaming "baby killer" and the "n" word at suppporters of this bill surely speaks volumes to the mindset of those opposing. I am proud to be a part of the group who supported it, especially since we don't stoop to such incindiary tactics.

Please don't make global statements about those opposing this bill. Just because I didn't like this bill doesn't mean I would stoop to this level. And don't say those supporting it haven't stooped to some low levels. The politics behind getting this bill passed was tough to swallow. Blanket statements serve no purpose.

I agree something needs to be done. The doctors bills, etc. for procedures are crazy. I am self-pay for the lap-band. Why did blood work and a ultrasound cost $4500.00? Luckily I only had to pay like $400 of that. Also, why did it cost me $7200 to spend a few hours at the hospital after surgery? I guess that included the OR and everything (not the surgeon's fee or other doctor fees).

My mother had knee replacement a few years back, and she had to stay in the hospital like 4-5 days. The bill for that procedure was over $200,000. Of course the insurance paid for that, but still. Something needs to be done for things like this. I hope this bill does better than a lot of people think. I will pray it does. I just don't want everything to increase in price over this (like food or gas or whatever).

Edited by Jessica4Bama

I have worked in the medical insurance billing field for approximately 24 yrs and really debated about voicing my opinion, but here goes... I have seen numerous sides of this

issue, but honestly do not believe this bill is going to resolve the issues it is promising. I have yet to see a govt program that is managed properly. Medicare, Medicaid and even Tricare are full of limits and loopholes most people have no knowledge of until services are denied. Many people covered even by commercial policies have no clue about the benefits provided by their employers or even if their plan, the govt plans included, requires authorizations to receive care. Weekly, I deal with patients that are denied Medicaid they could get simply because they don't want to present proper documentation or followup so their children can be covered by Medicaid or other govt agencies. Many people using the ER do not qualify as true emergencies. We've heard people admit it is easier to go to the ER than to wait for a Dr appointment. It will be cheaper for many people to pay the govt penalty/fine of not getting insurance than to pay monthly premiums throughout the year. They will wait to buy insurance until they have a real issue, then the rest of us will have to absorb the insurance increase to cover the higher costs passed on by the insurance. No matter what coverage is offered, you will always have those that choose to do nothing for themselves.Without a doubt, reform is needed in many areas of healthcare and I would never want to see anyone not receive needed care, but unfortunatley this bill will not be the solution many hope it to be.

I think people around the world will be interested to see what happens - I am in England, so Obamacare does not affect me. Keep us posted - will there be a sudden change as insurance becomes easier to get despite pre-existing conditions? Will insurance become more expensive as a result? And who will pay the extra? Your company? Your government? You? I'll be interested to know. We have a national health service, where healthcare is "free at the point of use" and paid for by taxation - this is not an insurance based system - and there is some "rationing" going on in the system - eg in my area you can't have a band for free until you have a BMI of over 50. So it is not perfect, and you cannot choose to change insurer or upgrade your insurance, because it is a "one-size-fits-all" government service -a nd the only alternative is to go private and pay the full whack, despite the fact that you are already paying for healthcare in your taxes.

I don't want to start any arguments here, but here are my thoughts.

Last month I had a cancer scare. I am uninsured. When this came up I started scrambling to find insurance, regardless of cost, as the cost would be less than what I would have to pay for cancer treatment without it.

I found I was unable to get insurance because my band was a pre-existing condition. Not that it would be excluded from any coverage I might get, but that I wouldn't be able to get coverage at all.

I do not have cancer at this time, but am highly likely to test positive for it in the future. Without health care reform, in the future when it does come up I would not be able to get insurance then either.

This is my personal story. There are many others out there like mine.

Couldn't get insurance at 315 pounds because I was morbidly obese.

Couldn't get insurance at 165 pounds because I had a device installed to finally cure my morbid obesity.

Sure there are parts of the bill I don't agree with. I also believe that every person in the United States deserves the right to be treated humanely. I believe this is a step in the direction of humane treatment for all U.S. residents.

Amen! I also will pray with this new reform you will find it easier to get what EVERY HUMAN BEING deserves. That is the right to LIVE should their life become in danger due to health concerns.

I am absolutely shocked that even one person would deny another person services that could save their life. We are all in danger of being in that situation. We are all only a single paycheck away from not being able to afford it, to lose our homes, to not be able to provide for those we love. It absolutely sickens me to see anyone who thinks they deserve such services above someone else. Who do you think you are to even feel that way?

If you child was dying and *forbid it* you somehow lost your Health coverage... what would you do? Everyone deserves this right, and yes it is INHUMANE to think otherwise.

No, this is no perfect solution - but as I've already mentioned before somewhere: With every house you start with the foundation. That's what amendments are for - to make it better.

Best of luck to all my fellow human beings who ARE praying this health care reforms takes hold. I wish you all the best, and I'm in your corner.

--signed someone who has been insured for years and also feels everyone else SHOULD BE TOO!

This bill is simply huge for America. There are huge improvements in this bill for every American. I have wonderful health coverage but I could get sick at any moment and have my health insurance dropped. This is a huge step forward for America.