Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello All!

I was banded two days ago and I'm so happy to finally be post op! I have two questions;

1. They told me that four ounces of my Protein Shake would be hard to get down at one time so to drink slowly. I have only been drinking four ounces at a time, but I feel like I could guzzle 8 at once easily. Should I be worried about this?

2. I keep hearing about unflavored Protein Powder. What is it and where can I buy it?

I would also be interested in hearing about any other products that people have found to get them through the first few weeks after surgery.

Thanks!!

I had my surgery 3/17 so I am on day 4 post op. I also can drink Water no problem and my shakes go right down also. I am having a bit of a burning/strange sensation if i eat anything that isn't room temperature - if it is hot,or cold. I think it is just my empty belly responding to the food hitting it. So far I have had sugar free popsicles, chicken broth, sugar free pudding, fat free yogurt and mashed potatoes - all without any problem. I am "nursing" them down slowly though, just in case.

My bigger problem is not food/hunger - its incision pain. I have a burning sensation below my biggest incision - where I believe my port is sewn in. It is really painful to use that main abdominal muscle - I can't wait for that to subside!

Good luck to all my fellow new bandsters...I am excited about this journey!:)

First congrats on being banded! My surgery was in December so I'm out a bit but after the second or third day I could drink an entire Protein shake without difficulty as well....Until you get a few fills and really get some restriction going you probably won't notice a difference. I've tried a couple different Protein powders and didn't like either, either chalky or had an after taste. My doc actually prefers you eat your protein rather than drink it (solid food sits in the pouch longer and keeps you full...) so I only do the shakes for a couple days after a fill then I get my protein from real food....sorry I can't be more help!

Good luck!

I was banded a year and a half ago and immediately post op, I felt the same way and was concerned if I was going to stay being hungry and able to eat too much. Don't be concerned. After a couple of fills, I was not worried anymore. All in all I have had 4 fills and the last one was about 6 months ago. I eat about 4 oz. of food and am satisfied. So don't get discouraged...just hang in there...it'll all work out.

Hello Anyone

I need help I was banded on 2/17. I have been doing well except this week I've had problems ..Weds I regurgitated a little. Yesterday I tried Lasagna...must not have chewed it well enough or maybe I should not have even tried it..I threw up everytime i ate yesterday--so so sore. Even juice came back up..I'm still sore and have that pain today...Is this normal? Any advice?:laugh:

If you can't keep fluids down, call your doctor asap. You don't want to get dehydrated. If you can keep fluids down, I would do shakes for 2-3 days. Give the soreness a chance to subside. Best of luck!

i'm 9 days post op and so far (keeping my fingers crossed) haven't had any issues with keeping my liquids down. i didn't have too bad of incision pain but the gas was bad and i had some other wierd pains, too. my doc told me to start out drinking tiny amounts, too. which i did. but now i have kinda abandoned the tiny cups they gave me and i just drink sips. decent size sips go ok now. but i know that my doc put 3cc's in my band after he placed it so i already have some restriction. you may not have a fill so it might be easier for you to drink.

as far as the unflavored Protein goes... some people swear by the stuff at GNC but i've never tried those. i have, however, tried theunflavored unjury and the inspire pure from bariatriceating.com and both are pretty good. i wouldn't say they are completely and totally undetectable but it also depends on what you are putting them in.

congrats on your band.

Thanks for the encouragement and the website which I hadn't heard of. I'll check that out.

Ya know, I am at year and a 1/2 since being banded and I will regurgitate if I don't chew, chew, chew. I know that and still that bad habit of "inhaling" my food creeps up once in a great while. I can't stress enough to chew chew chew. As far as lasagna goes, I pretty much steer clear of white Pasta as it seems to just "sit" there and I'd rather eat something that will end up being enjoyable and healthy. I do, however, eat Dreamfields pasta which is low carb and easier to digest, so if you are in the "pasta mood" I would suggest giving that a try. I have found that if I stay away from any "white" foods, such as white pasta, white rice, white breads, etc. (all starchy), I don't regurgitate (reflux). It's healthier to stay away from such things anyway. Good luck. Oh, yes you should definitely speak to your Dr. if it continues.